General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

wwilliam54

Triple channel is on a platform thats nearing EOL, meh

As much as I have a hard-on for sandy bridge. A Phenom II x4 or even Athlon IIx4 are still tits for gaming and will leave more cash for a better vid card.

edit: But I still go with what I said earlier, just throw a 600-750w PSU and a 560ti in what you have and call a day. That's 2 less things to have to buy when you upgrade for real real.

500$ doesn't really get you that far when you have to buy a case, hdd's and everything.

Last edited by wwilliam54; 06-02-2011 at 11:44 PM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHermit View Post
So I want to be able to play computer games at something beyond the absolute lowest setting. I'd prefer to not have to reinstall windows and build a who new machine. Do you guys think I can upgrade my existing machine and get decent performance?

So my computer is an Intel Core 2 6400 @ 2.13Ghz. It only has 2GB of ram though. RAM is prob really cheap for my computer now. I have a GeForce 7950GT.

Here is a list of the PCI Express 16 cards that Newegg has. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0Express%20x16 . I'm just not sure how much my processor is holding me back. This would be a lot easier as I wouldn't have to reinstall windows or anything.

I'd like to not lag in towns and battles in Rift and not take a full minute to load a zone.

Thanks fellas, I've fallen out of the loop on computer hardware and feel like an old man

get a better video card.... i can run most current games at optimal settings (not max, but good) with my GeForce GTX 260, Pentium D, 2GB RAM

from what you listed you
1. HAVE to get a new video card.
2. your processor is just fine.
3. adding more ram would help, but not necessary to play the games, unless you really want max settings, which isn't necessary

2[H]4U

I highly doubt you can run anything at a decent resolution with a Pentium D. That processor is about 5-6 yrs old.

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2[H]4U View Post
I highly doubt you can run anything at a decent resolution with a Pentium D. That processor is about 5-6 yrs old.

it is.... the only thing I've had problems with though is Black Ops

Modern Warfare 2 and Crysis run excellent... then again, those games are a couple of years old

1440x900 native res

MLB 2K11 runs like butter, sooo sexy

edplayer
no

Quote:
I'm down to spend $500-$750ish. I need a new case. I also have plans for my current machine, turning it into an adobe illustrator and printer machine for my printer full time. So, someone link me to one of those killer dealers that's actually good for everything I need.

Do you really want to build a new computer?

Your current one may be acceptable with a good videocard. I suggest a GTX 460 because they go on sale a lot. I have a 768MB version and just bought a 1GB EVGA SSC because its sub $100 when I sell the software package. Like this one (but I bought from Amazon):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130596

If you buy that card make sure you have a decent power supply.

If you want to build a new computer. I still recommend that card (best bang 4 the buck). Build it around an Intel 2500K ($180 at Microcenter, if you don't have one near u, I'm sure someone here will hook u up) and P67 or Z68 based motherboard.

[QUOTE=g|aSsJaw;25381666]I'm not going to go back and forth with you about it all night, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

Perry County

Can you overclock on that motherboard? Those things OC pretty well, and you could get a good bit more performance out of it. As it is, a new high-midrange card would be bottlenecked in some cases. I mean, definitely get a better graphics card, that is what is holding you back the most.

I would suggest nothing less than a 1GB 6790, but for just over $150 after rebate you can get a 6850:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102908

Look around Newegg, for $30 more than THAT, you can get a 6870 or Nvidia equivalent.

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilliam54 View Post
Triple channel is on a platform thats nearing EOL, meh

As much as I have a hard-on for sandy bridge. A Phenom II x4 or even Athlon IIx4 are still tits for gaming and will leave more cash for a better vid card.

edit: But I still go with what I said earlier, just throw a 600-750w PSU and a 560ti in what you have and call a day. That's 2 less things to have to buy when you upgrade for real real.

500$ doesn't really get you that far when you have to buy a case, hdd's and everything.

I'm surprised, because the third biggest bottleneck on any mobo is the memory channels. Eliminate that, and performance improves considerably.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

wwilliam54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
I'm surprised, because the third biggest bottleneck on any mobo is the memory channels. Eliminate that, and performance improves considerably.

AFAIK I think the socket 2011 stuff will be quad channel

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:

Mega-!!

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com

So you guys don't think my processor/mobo will bottleneck me and suggest I just buy a new graphics card and upgrade to windows 7? I guess if I get that card above ^^ and it doesn't help much I can then still use it on a new build. Now you guys are talking about the PSU being an issue, and this is the first time I've seen people talk about your PSU during a build, things must have really changed in the last 5 or so years. I have a Corsair 620W, is that enough?

Perry County

Quote:
So you guys don't think my processor/mobo will bottleneck me and suggest I just buy a new graphics card and upgrade to windows 7? I guess if I get that card above ^^ and it doesn't help much I can then still use it on a new build. Now you guys are talking about the PSU being an issue, and this is the first time I've seen people talk about your PSU during a build, things must have really changed in the last 5 or so years. I have a Corsair 620W, is that enough?

I'd say yes, it should be okay. How old is it? They decrease in efficiency over time. Your build isn't ancient, though, and I don't foresee that coming into play here. I'm assuming it's as old as the rest of the build. Does it have the right PCI-E power connectors for the card you want to get (6-pin, 8-pin, etc.)? Check into that, and if it's all good I'd say you could keep the same PSU as long as you're running only one newer card (i.e., not a dual-card setup).

wwilliam54

Quote:

Yeah, that's just fine. That enough power for any of the cards we suggested.
Even if you have a bottleneck in you proc, you will still get a shitload of improvement.

Tex Arcana

Quote:

I honestly think it's time to nut it up and upgrade, UNLESS you're cash-strapped AND you want to wait for the 2066 parts to hit the market.

Honestly, I'm a HUGE fan of the i7/1366 procs, and I think they can hang around with anything for quite awhile yet. And there are some good deals out there to be had on solid hardware.

So, the old adage applies:

--John Hobbs

zerokewl

Quote:

Yea its going to be quad. As as that is, my triple channel throws down waaaaaay more than enough bandwidth. So outside of super high end workstation applications quad channel isn't really anything that you'll notice coming from a 1366 platform.

wwilliam54

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerokewl View Post
Yea its going to be quad. As as that is, my triple channel throws down waaaaaay more than enough bandwidth. So outside of super high end workstation applications quad channel isn't really anything that you'll notice coming from a 1366 platform.

Yeah, I don't do anything more demanding that gameing and play mkv's. These balls to the wall systems would be great for e-peen. But I like to keep it real and get $100 AMD procs instead.

But even tho I don't care to buy one, I can't wait to see the benches for SB-E and BD