General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
zerokewl
 
zerokewl's Avatar
 
Yea. I hadn't upgraded for a few years and spent a large amount on my 1366 system. Its really nice to have a fuckload of horsepower on tap, but its more than ever gets used (unless Im converting audio or video, which it awesome because it can convert 8 tracks at once and cruises through video) realistically I could have spent less, and still been more than happy. Plus maybe bought another video card with the savings.
__________________
Myke
Old 06-04-2011, 01:49 PM zerokewl is offline  
Reply With Quote
#46  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.
 
Tex Arcana's Avatar
 
I think quad-channel, in conjunction with PCIe x16 (or higher, you know that's coming) and those new PCIe-based SSD's, will mean a shitton of bandwidth available to fill the channels on those 4-, 6-, and 8-way processors with their huge-assed pipelines.

IIRC, the i7-1366 procs don't really utilize their memory bandwidth fully, especially with dual-channel memory; and SATA can't come close to competing with memory bandwidth. Even the triple-channel stuff struggles to completely fill the pipeline.

Yeah, I think the future is ber-bright for desktop computing.
__________________
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.--V


Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs


~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~
Old 06-05-2011, 12:33 AM Tex Arcana is offline  
Reply With Quote
#47  

Perry County
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
I think quad-channel, in conjunction with PCIe x16 (or higher, you know that's coming) and those new PCIe-based SSD's, will mean a shitton of bandwidth available to fill the channels on those 4-, 6-, and 8-way processors with their huge-assed pipelines.

IIRC, the i7-1366 procs don't really utilize their memory bandwidth fully, especially with dual-channel memory; and SATA can't come close to competing with memory bandwidth. Even the triple-channel stuff struggles to completely fill the pipeline.

Yeah, I think the future is ber-bright for desktop computing.

Yeah, they have serious performance, but the only things that are going to really max them out is legit media encoding and HPC applications. For most uses, we're at a place where hardware is starting to massively outpace software and user needs. If everyone was encoding HD video routinely, everyone would be more conscious of their system performance, but at the end of the day, a lot of people don't.

Bitchin' GPUs are cool, though, because gaming is always fun.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:22 AM Perry County is offline  
Reply With Quote
#48  

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com
 
DHermit's Avatar
 
Hey thanks for all the advice! Can someone just confirm that with my current motherboard, I can use this card?

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813121052

Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130596
Old 06-08-2011, 07:23 AM DHermit is offline  
Reply With Quote
#49  

wwilliam54
 
the mobo is fine
what PSU are you running
__________________
2004 Grand Marquis- Just a big bucket o' steel.
1997 Geo- Three Cylinders of Fury, 5 Gears of slow (R.I.P)
Old 06-08-2011, 08:26 AM wwilliam54 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#50  

Perry County
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHermit View Post
I have a Corsair 620W, is that enough?

It's this.

Edit - And yes, it'll work. Just make sure it will fit in your case.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:31 PM Perry County is offline  
Reply With Quote
#51  

wwilliam54
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry County View Post
It's this.

Edit - And yes, it'll work. Just make sure it will fit in your case.

shit , I totally for got he said that, lolz
__________________
2004 Grand Marquis- Just a big bucket o' steel.
1997 Geo- Three Cylinders of Fury, 5 Gears of slow (R.I.P)
Old 06-08-2011, 08:34 PM wwilliam54 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#52  

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs
 
BlisterDick's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHermit View Post
Hey thanks for all the advice! Can someone just confirm that with my current motherboard, I can use this card?

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813121052

Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130596

as long as your board is PCI-e then you are good to go... and as long as your power supply can handle it, like the other guys said
__________________
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 06-08-2011, 11:15 PM BlisterDick is offline  
Reply With Quote
#53  

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com
 
DHermit's Avatar
 
Thanks guys, will report back after buying the new card and upgrading to Win7 64bit.

Also, I was thinking of adding an SSD since I'm going to have to reinstall windows anyhow. Is this a good drive for the price? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227550

I see my board supports up to 300mb/s, but this only does 250mb/s max?
Old 06-09-2011, 07:44 AM DHermit is offline  
Reply With Quote
#54  

wwilliam54
 
even a fairly shitty SSD will be way faster than most HDD's
and that is a pretty good price
__________________
2004 Grand Marquis- Just a big bucket o' steel.
1997 Geo- Three Cylinders of Fury, 5 Gears of slow (R.I.P)
Old 06-09-2011, 08:56 AM wwilliam54 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#55  

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.
 
Tex Arcana's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHermit View Post
Thanks guys, will report back after buying the new card and upgrading to Win7 64bit.

Also, I was thinking of adding an SSD since I'm going to have to reinstall windows anyhow. Is this a good drive for the price? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227550

I see my board supports up to 300mb/s, but this only does 250mb/s max?

I waaaaant...
__________________
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.--V


Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs


~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~
Old 06-09-2011, 01:37 PM Tex Arcana is offline  
Reply With Quote
#56  

Kamryn
pwned
 
thanks...for sharing...
Old 06-09-2011, 10:26 PM Kamryn is offline  
Reply With Quote
#57  

edplayer
no
 
edplayer's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHermit View Post
Also, I was thinking of adding an SSD since I'm going to have to reinstall windows anyhow. Is this a good drive for the price? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227550


That is decent. Do you have an account at slickdeals? If so, set up a deal alert whenever something with SSD in the title comes up.
__________________
[QUOTE=g|aSsJaw;25381610]0/0 = undefined, it's a vertical line[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=g|aSsJaw;25381666]I'm not going to go back and forth with you about it all night, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-13-2011, 01:55 PM edplayer is offline  
Reply With Quote
#58  

Perry County
 
Let us know how it turns out?
Old 06-15-2011, 09:25 AM Perry County is offline  
Reply With Quote
#59  

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com
 
DHermit's Avatar
 
The 460 is sweeeeeet. I can run graphics on High now instead of ultra low lol. Load times are still slow, but i haven't used the SSD / Win7 64 bit yet, still waiting on the disc.

Thanks for the advice all!
Old 06-17-2011, 07:24 AM DHermit is offline  
Reply With Quote
#60  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:45 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.