General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjwinnit
http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/rn/index.php3?page=1968

This 20mm automatic Gatling gun CIWS (Close-In Weapon System) has a range of approximately 1 mile and can fire at the rate of 3,000 rpm.

meh.

the newer US ones fire at 4500 and I assume have a longer range than those pansy Royal Swabbie ones

Besides your premise is likely flawed. You assume that the CIWS is going to wiat till the missile gets to the one mile mark and then fire. Instead of putting up a wall of fire that will meet the missile at the projectiles accuracy limit.

good thread though I learned something about CIWS I did not know. That it tracks it's own outgoing projectiles to use as a self correction mechanism

Last edited by TheMorlock; 07-20-2004 at 01:26 AM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Cjwinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock
the newer US ones fire at 4500 and I assume have a longer range than those pansy Royal Swabbie ones

Probably, but Phalanx is on only the carriers iirc, the preferred one is Goalkeeper. Bigger caliber but if Phalanx got upgraded then it's got a slightly further range. Takes all kinds....

I quote from your third link: "Although it has sold well abroad, there has been criticism of the comparativly low stopping power of the 20mm gun compared to foreign 30mm systems. Improved versions of Phalanx have improved the rate of fire and tracking capability, but the 20m gun remains."

Edit: whatever, there are far bigger things in the world to worry about..

Last edited by Cjwinnit; 07-20-2004 at 01:29 AM..

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjwinnit
4,500 rpm = 75 rps.

mach 3 --> just under 2 seconds per mile.

so about 160 rounds.

In other words, fuck all.
Another thing is that the Fuck all is more than it's top burst mode of 100 rounds. Less of course than its continous mode.

So your fuck all seems well within the design parameters of how many rounds it is Supposed to shoot.

ApathyEcstasy
yeah, different species of slanteye here

http://www.fas.org/news/taiwan/2000/e-03-28-00-11.htm

"The supersonic Sunburn missile, which can be mounted on a naval or mobile land platform, was designed specifically to destroy American aircraft carriers and other warships equipped with advanced Aegis radar and combat management systems. The US Navy considers the missile to be extremely difficult to defend against, adds the resolution. "

"It continues that the Sunburn missile has an over-the-horizon range of 65 miles and can deliver a 200-kiloton warhead in under two minutes. One conventional Sunburn missile can sink a warship or disable an aircraft carrier, causing the deaths of hundreds of American military personnel. "

"Russia is also helping the air force of the People's Liberation Army to assemble Sukhoi SU-27 fighter aircraft, which are capable of carrying an air-launched version of the Sunburn missile, which has an even longer range than the sea-launched one. Russia is reportedly discussing the sale of these air-launched Sunburn missiles to China, notes the resolution.
8.1%, Chinese growth has over-heated! People are
going to riot in the streets! The CCP is about to fall!

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyEcstasy
http://www.fas.org/news/taiwan/2000/e-03-28-00-11.htm

"The supersonic Sunburn missile, which can be mounted on a naval or mobile land platform, was designed specifically to destroy American aircraft carriers and other warships equipped with advanced Aegis radar and combat management systems. The US Navy considers the missile to be extremely difficult to defend against, adds the resolution. "....

"It continues that the Sunburn missile has an over-the-horizon range of 65 miles and can missile, which has an even longer range than the sea-launched one[/B][/I][/U]. Russia is reportedly discussing the sale of these air-launched Sunburn missiles to China, notes the resolution.

look at the date of the article

Once again Come forward 3 years

ApathyEcstasy

Quote:
look at the date of the article

Once again Come forward 3 years

Outdated != invalid

If that's the way you think, then I guess 9/11 never happened from your point of view because it's from OMG THE PAST.

TheMorlock

Quote:
Outdated != invalid

If that's the way you think, then I guess 9/11 never happened.

Hello???
The Crossbow owns full plate armor
The Repeating rifle owns the bow and arrow
The F15 owns the FB11
The A10 owns the T72
The SeaRAM owns the Sunburn

Welcome to this year

ApathyEcstasy

Quote:
Hello???
The Crossbow owns full plate armor
The Repeating rifle owns the bow and arrow
The F15 owns the FB11
The A10 owns the T72
The SeaRAM owns the Sunburn

Welcome to this year

The time difference between the creation of the repeating rifle and the creation of the bow and arrow isn't a matter of several years

Btw, please link me to source that says SeaRAM makes Sunburn obsolete. If you can, I'll read it. If you can't, then please kindly shut the fuck up.

TheMorlock

Quote:
The time difference between the creation of the repeating rifle and the creation of the bow and arrow isn't a matter of several years

And your point is?

ApathyEcstasy

Quote:
And your point is?

That your argument is invalid and proves nothing.

Also, I have yet to see you prove that SeaRAM makes Sunburn obsolete.

TheMorlock

Quote:
That your argument is invalid and proves nothing.

Also, I have yet to see you prove that SeaRAM makes Sunburn obsolete.

My argument that newer technology tends to render older technology ineffective is invalid?

And that the SeaRAM is a technology introduced 3 years after the date of the article that indicates that there was at the time a potential hole in the multiple ring defence the Navy uses is invalid?

What are you Smoking and can you PIF me some?

ApathyEcstasy

Quote:
My argument that newer technology tends to render older technology ineffective is invalid?

And that the SeaRAM is a technology introduced 3 years after the date of the article that indicates that there was at the time a potential hole in the multiple ring defence the Navy uses is invalid?

What are you Smoking and can you PIF me some?

Funny shit except you're still not showing any proof that SeaRAM effectively renders Sunburn obsolete. So your words are meaningless.

TheMorlock

Quote:
Funny shit except you're still not showing any proof that SeaRAM effectively renders Sunburn obsolete. So your words are meaningless.

I linked it twice Just fur Yuo.

get with the program and read it and weep sweet charlotte

ApathyEcstasy

quoted from your link

"Don't get me wrong, this is all well and good but now that the technological questions are solved the real question is one of relative costs. How much does the bad guy spend for his offensive missile versus how much we spend on our defensive missile(s!), and how much does the platform being protected cost(not all platforms cost as much as a carrier or sub)? After all if it cost us 10 times as much to shoot down one of theirs we are on the wrong side of the lever."

"It takes six Sunburns to take down a carrier. Divide the cost of a carrier by six to see how much it is worth to take down a Sunburn. By the way, Sunburns can use rapidly movable shore launchers. Enough of them in the wrong hands, and the Persian Gulf fleet is just so much scrap metal."

"I've been tracking with great approval the RAM programs since the inception, and agree that this is the best interim fix...but the limited 'ammo' of each installation poses a dillemma. They can potentially be over-whelmed by a fusillade of missles which exhausts the defense battery. The Chinese have been openly stressing the 'innundation' approach, so they may be mass manufacturing Sunburns/Akula and variants now that they have working models to reverse-engineer. "

Now what about that Yakhont?

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/m...ow/ss-n-26.htm

Last edited by ApathyEcstasy; 07-20-2004 at 02:44 AM..

TheMorlock

And you had a point where?

Was it that a following discussion about costs of defending a ship somehow has a deleterious effect on a systems performance?

PIF PIF PIF me some of what you are smoking

"In 10 scenarios, real Anti-Ship Missiles and supersonic Vandal target missiles (Mach 2.5) were intercepted and destroyed under realistic conditions. RAM Block 1 achieved first-shot kills on every target in its presented scenarios, including sea-skimming, diving and highly maneuvering profiles in both single and stream attacks."

"With these test firings RAM demonstrated its unparalleled success against today's most challenging threats. Cumulatively to date more than 180 missiles have been fired against anti-ship missiles and other targets, achieving a success rate over 95%"

The SeaRAM is a drop in replacement for the Phalanx system. The RAM missle itself is a mach 2, second generation derivative of the Sidewinder and Stinger missles. It features BOTH infrared and radar based target tracking, allowing for use against future low radar cross section (stealthy) anti-ship missles.

The effective range of the RAM missile is 11 miles. The CIWS part of the SeaRAM can track multiple targets and fire multiple missles at a single target. Each SeaRAM platform holds 11 RAM missiles.