General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
fatrat
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck
But an average carrier will have 6-12 of those sub-hunter airplanes at most, not enough to cover the entire ocean. And I'm thinking mainly of fast patrol boats operating near the chinese coast ... basically motorboats with a couple cruise missiles strapped on the back.

I don't think cruise missiles work that way my friend.

The launch would sink a patrol boat due to the sheer force of taking off.

Planes, yes. Cruisers, yes. Patrol boats, yikes!
Old 07-20-2004, 07:01 PM fatrat is offline  
Reply With Quote
#196  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

EigerVue
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyEcstasy
http://www.fas.org/news/taiwan/2000/e-03-28-00-11.htm
"It continues that the Sunburn missile has an over-the-horizon range of 65 miles and can deliver a 200-kiloton warhead in under two minutes. One conventional Sunburn missile can sink a warship or disable an aircraft carrier, causing the deaths of hundreds of American military personnel. "


you think we would let them get within 65 miles of our carriers? they would need a 200 mile range or more to be even slightly effective, the aircraft one might be a threat but we can still intercept aircraft before they get within range as well
__________________
67c6a1e7ce56d3d6fa748ab6d9af3fd7

1285525094
Old 07-20-2004, 07:22 PM EigerVue is offline  
Reply With Quote
#197  

fatrat
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock
But because of a possible encounter awacs type planes would be in the air and this cover will not be relevent.

As I posted earlier the russian super cavitation torps would be the gravest concern. I just don't know if they are operational.


http://www.deepangel.com/html/the_squall.html

"A downgraded Shkval, the Shkval-E went to an international arms fairs in 1995, and both China, Iran and France have been known to have acquired limited numbers of Shkvals."

Yeah, but if the sub is found before it's ready to launch, it's dead meat in the water.

Chinese subs are nowhere as quiet as American subs. They can be found, sunk, and all the torpedos in the world won't help when that happens.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:27 PM fatrat is offline  
Reply With Quote
#198  

EigerVue
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by onigami
http://www.tayyareci.com/rusfuzeleri/asmms.htm

155 miles for air launched version


back during the cold war russians had anti ship missles with range of 200-300 miles IIRC, back then we had no anti missle defense so we set up perimeters of more than that which we kept defended, we have radar that is so good we would be able to take out nearly all their planes before they would get close enough to launch, also if it has a longer range, doesnt that also make it so you have more time to shoot it down...

but be realistic, any huge war with china would go nuclear really fast, what we are increasing our nuke sub fleet to 120 i think so we would have a lot of nukes hitting their facilities before they could launch (if we made a first strike)
__________________
67c6a1e7ce56d3d6fa748ab6d9af3fd7

1285525094
Old 07-20-2004, 07:28 PM EigerVue is offline  
Reply With Quote
#199  

Arátoeldar
Arátoeldar
Champion of the Secret Fire
 
's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViriiK
Anyways the carrier fleet are working to coordinate action together in massive numbers.. Which hasn't been done since WWII.. Battle of Midway involved 5 carriers..

Just a slight correction, there were 7 carriers at The Battle of Midway. Four were Japanese carriers; the Akagi, the Kaga, the Soryu, and the Hiryu along with 3 American carriers; the USS Yorktown (CV 5), the USS Hornet (CV 8) and the USS Enterprise (CV 6).

By the end of the war we had 16+ fleet carriers in the Pacific alone and 100+ jeep carriers used in both the Pacific and the Atlantic.
__________________
augusttremulous & FlagsAndTutus are my interweb daughters.

e9949cd803e7b8ffe2cee2734c48e3cb [pornmay.com]
Old 07-20-2004, 07:55 PM  is offline  
Reply With Quote
#200  

hitnrun99
 
Us: A7
Them: Arrgh! You sunk my battleship!
__________________
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" -Sigmund Freud

ultimate lurker, never see you post - M|22
Old 07-20-2004, 08:19 PM hitnrun99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#201  

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatrat
Yeah, but if the sub is found before it's ready to launch, it's dead meat in the water.

Chinese subs are nowhere as quiet as American subs. They can be found, sunk, and all the torpedos in the world won't help when that happens.

ah but you can set your sub on the bottom long before the US enters the area and unless the chinese have the propensity for karoake that the japs do then they will be virtually undetectable. You need a towed array side scan sonar to get past the ground clutter
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323
Old 07-20-2004, 08:23 PM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#202  

Baloneyflaps
JoJoFine
MASTER-B FOR SUPARMOD.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyEcstasy
Outdated != invalid

If that's the way you think, then I guess 9/11 never happened from your point of view because it's from OMG THE PAST.
outdated does = invalid when the navy already has the new systems able to counter it being installed on every carrier now doesnt it?
Old 07-20-2004, 08:27 PM Baloneyflaps is offline  
Reply With Quote
#203  

ViriiK
http://military.revenanteagle.org/
 
ViriiK's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorthaur The Cruel
Just a slight correction, there were 7 carriers at The Battle of Midway. Four were Japanese carriers; the Akagi, the Kaga, the Soryu, and the Hiryu along with 3 American carriers; the USS Yorktown (CV 5), the USS Hornet (CV 8) and the USS Enterprise (CV 6).

By the end of the war we had 16+ fleet carriers in the Pacific alone and 100+ jeep carriers used in both the Pacific and the Atlantic.
Eh? I swore we had 5 American Carriers there.. I must be thinking of another battle..
__________________
- [M]ayhem Gun Club
- [M]ilitary [M]ayhem Club
- Secretary of Defense for the PopeKevinI Administration
- Proud Sponsor of the American Military-Industrial Complex
Old 07-20-2004, 09:47 PM ViriiK is offline  
Reply With Quote
#204  

fatrat
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock
ah but you can set your sub on the bottom long before the US enters the area and unless the chinese have the propensity for karoake that the japs do then they will be virtually undetectable. You need a towed array side scan sonar to get past the ground clutter

But if they just stay there they can't fire any torpedos.

If they move, they're sunk. If they stay there, they are useless.

How do you solve that one, oh former bubblehead?
Old 07-20-2004, 11:27 PM fatrat is offline  
Reply With Quote
#205  

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatrat
But if they just stay there they can't fire any torpedos.

If they move, they're sunk. If they stay there, they are useless.

How do you solve that one, oh former bubblehead?

Of course they can fire torps. they just would have a limited field of fire

And Then they would be dead.
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323

Last edited by TheMorlock; 07-20-2004 at 11:32 PM..
Old 07-20-2004, 11:29 PM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#206  

ViriiK
http://military.revenanteagle.org/
 
ViriiK's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock
Of course they can fire torps. they just would have a limited field of fire

And Then they would be dead.
A wise commander fires when there is a good opportunity of escape.. A stupid one fires at will and sacrifices his crew and himself for country...
__________________
- [M]ayhem Gun Club
- [M]ilitary [M]ayhem Club
- Secretary of Defense for the PopeKevinI Administration
- Proud Sponsor of the American Military-Industrial Complex
Old 07-20-2004, 11:36 PM ViriiK is offline  
Reply With Quote
#207  

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViriiK
A wise commander fires when there is a good opportunity of escape.. A stupid one fires at will and sacrifices his crew and himself for country...


A good commie does exactly what he is told or he comes home and is burried in the same grave as the rest of his family.
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323
Old 07-20-2004, 11:37 PM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#208  

ViriiK
http://military.revenanteagle.org/
 
ViriiK's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock
A good commie does exactly what he is told or he comes home and is burried in the same grave as the rest of his family.
Now you reminded me about communism, you got a point..

HFRO :

[The Konovalov's own torpedo is about to strike the Konovalov]
Andrei Amalric: You arrogant ass. You've killed *us*!
__________________
- [M]ayhem Gun Club
- [M]ilitary [M]ayhem Club
- Secretary of Defense for the PopeKevinI Administration
- Proud Sponsor of the American Military-Industrial Complex

Last edited by ViriiK; 07-20-2004 at 11:52 PM..
Old 07-20-2004, 11:49 PM ViriiK is offline  
Reply With Quote
#209  

ApathyEcstasy
yeah, different species of slanteye here
 
ApathyEcstasy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViriiK
Now you reminded me about communism, you got a point..

HFRO :

[The Konovalov's own torpedo is about to strike the Konovalov]
Andrei Amalric: You arrogant ass. You've killed *us*!

you can't deny that it gives them a certain edge when it comes to some things...also if you've never been to china, don't think it's some kind of communist world

a close friend of mine is visiting china as we speak and i visited china just several years ago, it's as hyper-capitalist as it gets.
__________________
7.9%, Chinese growth has screeched to a halt! People
are going to riot in the streets! The CCP is about to
fall!
8.1%, Chinese growth has over-heated! People are
going to riot in the streets! The CCP is about to fall!
Old 07-21-2004, 02:27 AM ApathyEcstasy is offline  
Reply With Quote
#210  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:03 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.