General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Inscape

Made in USA ?

I was reading a message board about the vehivle I own (K5 Blazer) and read replies to what people thought about the Nissan Titan. A lot of people replied that they will only buy a truck from the big 3 (except Dodge isn't exactly American now) Anyway it got me thinking about what's wrong with people that say crap like that. There's Toyota plants in the US, Chevy plant in Canada etc. I also don't understand terrifs, if we can get a product cheaper overseas than why not? If US companies cost a lot more than why can't they lower their prices?

I'm not sure if my post makes a lot of sense, I don't know much about economics so I'm trying to learn.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

UnknownWanderer

Basically, it should be that we would naturally buy the product from whoever can make it at the highest quality for the lowest price.

Government intervention in this process sometimes disturbs our ability to do so

SiNN0304

I used to have that mindset, that I would only buy a domestic truck (the big 3), but my father recently bought an 04 Toyota Tacoma and I love the thing... but I still think I'd rather have a Dodge Dakota Stampede or Dodge Ram SRT-10
Old 07-18-2004, 05:28 AM  

PopeKevinI

Nissan rocks.

XTerra > any domestic mid-size SUV

note: I do not consider "luxury" SUVs to be true SUVs, they sort of defy the whole spirit of the model.

Baloneyflaps
JoJoFine
MASTER-B FOR SUPARMOD.

buy Dodge, GM, and Ford because their trucks can do more than the foreign trucks can. the Nissan Titan is indeed a nice truck but compared to a Ram3500 which can be had for a few grand more (base model) it cant hold up to the towing and carrying capacity of its American competitors

Nano

Everyone knows americans make stronger/bigger vehicles, europeans make faster/reliable vehicles, and the asians make efficient vehicles... I want a german engineered car with japanese efficiency, personally.

arthur pendragon
TweedleDumbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano
Everyone knows americans make stronger/bigger vehicles, europeans make faster/reliable vehicles, and the asians make efficient vehicles... I want a german engineered car with japanese efficiency, personally.
Ha ha ha ha ha, you have obviously never owned a European vehicle, I myself have owned several. Porsche’s, MG’s, Mercedes’, Volvo’s, Triumph’s, and BMW’s hell I even owned a Ferreira. You know what they all have in common? They drive like a wet dream, but everyone of them break down like fucking clockwork and are harder than fuck to fix yourself and cost an arm and a leg to have fixed. No European cars drive really really nice, but they are equally as unreliable.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion

Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur pendragon
Ha ha ha ha ha, you have obviously never owned a European vehicle, I myself have owned several. Porsche’s, MG’s, Mercedes’, Volvo’s, Triumph’s, and BMW’s hell I even owned a Ferreira. You know what they all have in common? They drive like a wet dream, but everyone of them break down like fucking clockwork and are harder than fuck to fix yourself and cost an arm and a leg to have fixed. No European cars drive really really nice, but they are equally as unreliable.

strange, I've got a 20 year old beemer sitting at my moms house that ran until just a few weeks ago.

arthur pendragon
TweedleDumbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano
strange, I've got a 20 year old beemer sitting at my moms house that ran until just a few weeks ago.
And its never had to be taken in for repairs? Sorry I just dont believe that.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion

isugoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inscape
I was reading a message board about the vehivle I own (K5 Blazer) and read replies to what people thought about the Nissan Titan. A lot of people replied that they will only buy a truck from the big 3 (except Dodge isn't exactly American now) Anyway it got me thinking about what's wrong with people that say crap like that.

it's all in the image.
if you want reliable, what comes to mind first? toyota, honda
luxury sedan? bmw, mercedes
nice, strong truck? dodge, chevy, ford

arthur pendragon
TweedleDumbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoat
it's all in the image.
if you want reliable, what comes to mind first? toyota, honda
luxury sedan? bmw, mercedes
nice, strong truck? dodge, chevy, ford

And that sir is just about the full truth of it. All you left out is the superb handling of the European sports cars, Porsche, Jaguar, BMW, Ferreira and Lamborghini.

Wixard

If it weren't for trade laws, everything would be in made in third world countries and all manufacturing would be overseas. Ironically, this would destroy the market the company is attempting to sell to (a lack of jobs means no one to buy anything)

In many cases manufacturing must be done in the country they are catering to, for example it may be cheaper to build the product there, than to ship everything assembled. Governments offer other incentives also, such as tax breaks and in some cases grants.

I don't have any problems personally with forgein cars, (or TV's, VCR's etc.) I do think however that each country should feel a certain pride for products that are produced there. (whether its a honda plant in the US, or an AMD plant in germany) Which is something many countries in the west have lost. Probably due to multi-national corporations.

/-\lex

Quote:

My mom has a 20 year old Volvo that hasn’t had to undergo any major repairs.

SamFarber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopeKevinI
Nissan rocks.

XTerra > any domestic mid-size SUV

I drove one. Underpowered. Other than that, it was cheaply finished but so are most cars today.

edplayer
no

Quote:

Does a brand of cars even exist that never has to be taken in for repairs?

I heard/read from various places that Mercedes makes very reliable cars

[QUOTE=g|aSsJaw;25381666]I'm not going to go back and forth with you about it all night, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]