General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Nuntius

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur pendragon
Honestly he really is, but he is like a good stout beer you have to build up a taste first and then you start to understand just how much flavor and body is there. Once you develop a taste you quickly realize just how watery and tasteless every thing else is.

What are you, ?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

arthur pendragon
TweedleDumbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuntius
What are you, ?

Just because I keep fucking you in your ass doesnt mean I'm gay........

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion

undertakr

Quote:
Honestly he really is, but he is like a good stout beer you have to build up a taste first and then you start to understand just how much flavor and body is there. Once you develop a taste you quickly realize just how watery and tasteless every thing else is. I have felt the sting of Asmoís humor on many occasions, many of them intentionally provoked and still admire his wit humor delivery and timing. Fortunately for me Asmo appears to neither like me nor dislike me, in fact mostly I think he doesnít even know I exist. I am a minor league player compared to him, but I still have my moment and plenty of fun. More importantly I am glad that you recognize that I am trying (even if in my own twisted way) to be humorous.

Life is easier when you laugh.
I really wish I could add more to the pit, but i seriously think I've had it for arguing online.

arthur pendragon
TweedleDumbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertakr
Life is easier when you laugh.
I really wish I could add more to the pit, but i seriously think I've had it for arguing online.
Dont under rate yourself.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion

undertakr

Quote:
Dont under rate yourself.

The problem is i can see every counter-argument and every counter-counter argument for every post that I could possibly make. Why bother? I know what the conservatives will say because I know them all to well, and I know what I will say in response to them... it all boils down to either a difference in core beliefs regarding humanity, or straight up totally different beliefs on what is factually true or untrue.
Everything ends in gridlock, with each side convinced they won.

I even thought about making a thread about this, but then I realized I've been at genmay long enough to recognize what people would probably respond with.
Bleh.

arthur pendragon
TweedleDumbest

Quote:
The problem is i can see every counter-argument and every counter-counter argument for every post that I could possibly make. Why bother? I know what the conservatives will say because I know them all to well, and I know what I will say in response to them... it all boils down to either a difference in core beliefs regarding humanity, or straight up totally different beliefs on what is factually true or untrue.
Everything ends in gridlock, with each side convinced they won.

I even thought about making a thread about this, but then I realized I've been at genmay long enough to recognize what people would probably respond with.
Bleh.

Meh...A very wise man once said.."Though the babbling river tells no lies, the democrat on the shore hears them anyway".

Try and remember, first of all it is not the destination but how you get there. And second of all, perhaphs even more important, not everthing has to be or even should be serious.

My political leanings are conservative constitutionalist; I take from every party those ideas which come closest to my political beliefs. I dislike large government, but I understand the necessity of compromise. I believe without question that anyone who expects someone else to defend them is going to get fucked in the ass in the end. I really hate the idea of US military personal fighting and dying in a foreign country for any reason, but I hate the idea of them fighting a war in my yard even more. I would gladly trade the lives of 1000 foreigners for 1 American life. OK so you assume that you know every possible outcome of every discussion that might take place here. Here is something that you need to take into consideration, just because the insults are flying or people do not seem willing to change their political ideologies does not mean that even the most obnoxious stubborn blockheads in the pit are not actually thinking about the ideas being presented. And while they may not change their minds, the truth is that if they never think about their positions or never have their ideologies challenged they will never change those ideologies. Whereas at least by thinking about their positions they become willing to make compromises that they would never have considered otherwise. Donít exclude yourself from a situation where you might be responsible for provoking someone from thinking about a position that might lead them to a compromise where they take the best of their own ideologies and the best of your ideologies and combine them. We all have some ideas that are good and noble and worthy of consideration, none of us are totally worthless in what we believe. If you refuse to put your ideologies up for inspection the rest of the body politic is made poorer by that refusal.

undertakr

Quote:
Meh...A very wise man once said.."Though the babbling river tells no lies, the democrat on the shore hears them anyway".

Try and remember, first of all it is not the destination but how you get there. And second of all, perhaphs even more important, not everthing has to be or even should be serious.

My political leanings are conservative constitutionalist; I take from every party those ideas which come closest to my political beliefs. I dislike large government, but I understand the necessity of compromise. I believe without question that anyone who expects someone else to defend them is going to get fucked in the ass in the end. I really hate the idea of US military personal fighting and dying in a foreign country for any reason, but I hate the idea of them fighting a war in my yard even more. I would gladly trade the lives of 1000 foreigners for 1 American life. OK so you assume that you know every possible outcome of every discussion that might take place here. Here is something that you need to take into consideration, just because the insults are flying or people do not seem willing to change their political ideologies does not mean that even the most obnoxious stubborn blockheads in the pit are not actually thinking about the ideas being presented. And while they may not change their minds, the truth is that if they never think about their positions or never have their ideologies challenged they will never change those ideologies. Whereas at least by thinking about their positions they become willing to make compromises that they would never have considered otherwise. Donít exclude yourself from a situation where you might be responsible for provoking someone from thinking about a position that might lead them to a compromise where they take the best of their own ideologies and the best of your ideologies and combine them. We all have some ideas that are good and noble and worthy of consideration, none of us are totally worthless in what we believe. If you refuse to put your ideologies up for inspection the rest of the body politic is made poorer by that refusal.

Holy fucking crap, why do you never display this noble side for anyone?

I'd lie if I said that arguing never changed anything in my life; throughout highschool, I had a good friend who was a staunch conservative/republican (claimed to be both). We argued endlessly during third period and lunch for three years.
In the end, we both accounted for our changes: I had changed from a flag-burning anarchist activist into a consciencious objecter of the system, suddenly much more self aware of the problems in my solutions and in my ideologies but persistent in them nonetheless... accepting of the hopelessness of my 'optimistic thinking' but still nonetheless optimistic (regarding my hope that people are generally good as opposed to generally bad).
I thought that I hadn't had any effect on him; that I was the only one that changed (and changed for the better...) but he confided in me recently that if it wasn't for me, he would be parading endlessly about the wonders of GDub, and not suddenly critical of his economic policy, his foreign policy, and yes, even critical of his general intelligence and crudentials. He said he has learned to critisize members of his own side for lack of adherence to the origional vision of conservatism on which he was weaned, who break apart from the system of 'realism' that he supports and which he believes works.

Now, neither of us look forward to the upcoming election. Neither of us support either of the canidates.... although he will probably go bush and me kerry, neither of us feel good about it.
I figure that's a worthy accomplishment. But It's hard to see if you can really do that online. In real life, you can't fake stoicity, you can't pretend to be completely unaffected by arguments when you may actually be effected. Online, you can. You can just write off the other person as a loony and ignore them. It's hard to tell when you make ground online.
I'm thinking about it.

arthur pendragon
TweedleDumbest

Quote:
Holy fucking crap, why do you never display this noble side for anyone?

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe I just did..... Perhaps I donít seem to do so very often because of one of my other philosophical beliefs. I firmly believe in answering a fool according to his folly. When talking to a Greek, you need to speak Greek, when talking to a geek you need to speak geek, when talking to an asshole you need to speak asshole, when talking to a fool you need to speak foolishly. I think you get the point.

If you read enough of my posts you will eventually notice that I never get rude or obnoxious with people who are seriously asking questions looking for honest serious answers. I answer people according to the degree of prejudice in their posts. If they are arrogantly pontificating their ideologies as the only possible correct position possible I reply to them in likewise manner. If they are honestly seeking intellectual discourse I respond to them with honest polite intellectual discourse. If they just want to pick a fight to prove how right they are or how smart they are I provide them with the fight they are looking for.

I understand human nature and realize that most people even when arguing from arrogance or ignorance or just from a desire to argue are far more open to both new ides and different points of view than they themselves realize. Most people understand things that they do not even recognize that they understand, they argue like hell for one point today and a year later when they argue the same point, their position has changed slightly. They get so caught up in arguing their own position that they donít even notice that they are taking in new and different ideas. To quote one of my other deeply held philosophical beliefs, ďAs iron sharpens iron so one person sharpens the wit of anotherĒ. Just as when Iron is used to sharpen iron when two people hotly exchange ideas sparks are a very common experience.

undertakr

Quote:
Correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe I just did.....

crap i'm owned

but yeah on the rest of that. i'd have to agree. i'll continue to lurk and if i see it fit to post, I will.

crshbndct

Last edited by crshbndct; 08-19-2004 at 07:50 PM..

Samhaine
Kiddie Corral Material

Yup....this is me.

Last edited by Samhaine; 01-12-2005 at 10:49 PM..

Nuntius

Hmm.. this thread looks like conclusive proof of why we all get so aggressive here in The Pit...

http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/heal...out520833.html

SnakeIRye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuntius
Hmm.. this thread looks like conclusive proof of why we all get so aggressive here in The Pit...

http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/heal...out520833.html

Good find.

Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhaine

Yup....this is me.

hmm. That is actually quite a surprise.

Postal Blowshit
Postal Blowfish
Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuck
Hey, I'd rather look young than be an old stupid twat living in a shithole smoking a fucking pipe.

nice.

I definately agree.