General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9m9n9t View Post
Wrong.

http://www.greggvalentino.net/



Maybe you should go see a psychiatrist about your mental deficiencies, not to mention how fucking lazy you are since you'd know better if you put 30 seconds of research into this
Oh yes, now we're talking! As a prime example of steroid usage in total when it comes to athletes, 9m9n9t here quotes Gregg Valentino

__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 01-12-2009, 09:07 PM Straw Man is offline  
#136  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

DigitalChaos
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_ofa_beach View Post
Calm down, never said there was a problem. There was a debate in the thread regarding calling adderall "performance enchancing" and whether it can be compared to steroids, and I'm just addressing that argument.

sorry. i am late to the thread and am looking for an argument based on the first post :P I don't see how anyone could justify the argument of using drugs for mental benefits/performance is bad unless they throw out the value of personal responsibility/choice. I would love to see someone demonstrate a convincing argument to prove otherwise though.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:15 PM DigitalChaos is offline  
#137  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
sorry. i am late to the thread and am looking for an argument based on the first post :P I don't see how anyone could justify the argument of using drugs for mental benefits/performance is bad unless they throw out the value of personal responsibility/choice. I would love to see someone demonstrate a convincing argument to prove otherwise though.

Oh look it's the socal drug baron posting an argument before running off crying

Perhaps the fact it's cheating is a pretty convincing argument for the you know ....not fucking retarded?



(happy? )
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 01-12-2009, 09:21 PM Straw Man is offline  
#138  

9m9n9t
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
Oh yes, now we're talking! As a prime example of steroid usage in total when it comes to athletes, 9m9n9t here quotes Gregg Valentino


All I needed to do was prove you wrong, which I did.

Is Gregg Valentino not human enough for you?

God damn you're dense
Old 01-12-2009, 09:32 PM 9m9n9t is offline  
#139  

DigitalChaos
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
Oh look it's the socal drug baron posting an argument before running off crying

Perhaps the fact it's cheating is a pretty convincing argument for the you know ....not fucking retarded?



(happy? )

cheating would mean there is a competition. where is the competition? where is the finish line and where is the prize?
edit: also, where are the rules and restrictions that persist all the way to the finish line?

hint: getting the grade is barely even the start of the race
Old 01-12-2009, 09:33 PM DigitalChaos is offline  
#140  

wigglesworth
 
wigglesworth's Avatar
 
ive never used drugs other than coffee and the occasional bowl of weed to "enhance" my studying. i mostly just deal with being unmotivated and try to make up for it some other way.
__________________
"St. WigglesWorth! of CRUNKKKK" -antisechs
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. -Hunter S Thompson
Old 01-12-2009, 09:37 PM wigglesworth is offline  
#141  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9m9n9t View Post
All I needed to do was prove you wrong, which I did.

Is Gregg Valentino not human enough for you?

God damn you're dense

Except he's a compulsive liar, a criminal, and while you're focusing on his banter about his fucking arms, you're kind of conveniently forgetting fucking god only knows what the fuck injected into those in the first place. Then again, if you weren't a goddamn gullible fucking moron and a retard to boot, you wouldn't post such things in the first place now would you?
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 01-12-2009, 10:31 PM Straw Man is offline  
#142  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
cheating would mean there is a competition. where is the competition? where is the finish line and where is the prize?
edit: also, where are the rules and restrictions that persist all the way to the finish line?

hint: getting the grade is barely even the start of the race
No.

Testing is done for the purpose of measurement. Prizes are irrelevant in competition when you really dumb it down. What competition, tests, hell fucking job interviews, is to measure skill in some specific field. Be that running, knowledge, or suitability for a job. It's a measure of performance.
If you're going to make that argument, it's like saying if you can cheat on an exam without getting caught, it's perfectly alright. That's not even touching the subject (performance enhancers).

Unless you're suggesting it's a good idea to keep everyone on adderall to boost performance every day from sun to high noon, yeah. No cookie for you. It's deliberately distorting your performance. You're giving the wrong impression to whoever is testing you for some purpose. Be that memorizing some fucking book, yeah.

Where are the rules? Well there's the rule that it's a prescription drug not meant for that purpose and it's a criminal offense. Hows that for a rule?

e: and if you're still insisting on competition, yes an exam is a competition. Guess who you're competing against? Everyone else.
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 01-12-2009, 10:38 PM Straw Man is offline  
#143  

9m9n9t
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
Except he's a compulsive liar, a criminal, and while you're focusing on his banter about his fucking arms, you're kind of conveniently forgetting fucking god only knows what the fuck injected into those in the first place. Then again, if you weren't a goddamn gullible fucking moron and a retard to boot, you wouldn't post such things in the first place now would you?

Yeah, steroids won't allow you to perform any better than a 100% normal human being... that must be why so many healthy athletes take them, right?

All those competitive bodybuilders and powerlifters are clearly suffering from undiagnosed testosterone deficiencies and HIV / AIDS, god bless their perseverance

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
Well there's the rule that it's a prescription drug not meant for that purpose.

Still wrong

"Treating ADHD" and "increasing the ability to focus" are synonymous, or are you still not aware that it stands for Attention Deficit

It won't make you a faster reader than a normal human being, and doesn't do fuck all for intellect - so what's the problem?
Old 01-12-2009, 11:01 PM 9m9n9t is offline  
#144  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9m9n9t View Post
Yeah, steroids won't allow you to perform any better than a 100% normal human being... that must be why so many healthy athletes take them, right?

All those competitive bodybuilders and powerlifters are clearly suffering from undiagnosed testosterone deficiencies and HIV / AIDS, god bless their perseverance
I guess you could quote me where I said such things. What I did say is, steroids do require a really fucking lot of hard work, just as much as they do without. No one's said they're not performance enhancers, as they are just that. Do keep entertaining us, and remind us all what a fucking clueless retard you are. It brightens everyone's day to see what a fucking misfortune you are.


Quote:
Still wrong

"Treating ADHD" and "increasing the ability to focus" are synonymous, or are you still not aware that it stands for Attention Deficit
Yeah I'd really like a lecture from a fucking retard that can't read about ADHD. Just shut the fuck up you drooling idiot, this is really getting fucking embarrassing.
Quote:
It won't make you a faster reader than a normal human being, and doesn't do fuck all for intellect - so what's the problem?
Nowhere, infact I suggest you go and have yourself the abovementioned pound of the stuff. I think it's safe to say it's guaranteed there's only win and no lose in that scenario
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 01-12-2009, 11:10 PM Straw Man is offline  
#145  

bingstudent
I am an idiot!
 
bingstudent's Avatar
 
Academics is not a game, it's life, as such it's unfair. Colleges and universities have an obligation to prevent students from cheating on a test. Using cognitive enhancers to prepare is not cheating on the test.

I also support the responsible use of cognitive enhancers by the entirety of society.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:58 AM bingstudent is offline  
#146  

bingstudent
I am an idiot!
 
bingstudent's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Either way, since it can't boost your concentration beyond what a healthy human being is capable of there shouldn't really be any objections. It doesn't give an unfair advantage that would otherwise be unavailable and it doesn't increase your intelligence.

This is untrue:

Quote:
Many of the medications used to treat psychiatric and neurological conditions also improve the performance of the healthy. The drugs most commonly used for cognitive enhancement at present are stimulants, namely Ritalin (methyphenidate) and Adderall (mixed amphetamine salts), and are prescribed mainly for the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Because of their effects on the catecholamine system, these drugs increase executive functions in patients and most healthy normal people, improving their abilities to focus their attention, manipulate information in working memory and flexibly control their responses3.
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...56702a.html#B3
Old 01-13-2009, 06:01 AM bingstudent is offline  
#147  

9m9n9t
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingstudent View Post

Jesus-tittyfucking-christ, hell must have frozen over because bingstudent just contributed something useful to the thread

It's a good find but, unfortunately for you, the article you quoted agrees with myself and DigitalChaos:

Quote:
Cognitive-enhancing drugs require relatively little effort, are invasive and for the time being are not equitably distributed, but none of these provides reasonable grounds for prohibition. Drugs may seem distinctive among enhancements in that they bring about their effects by altering brain function, but in reality so does any intervention that enhances cognition. Recent research has identified beneficial neural changes engendered by exercise10, nutrition11 and sleep12, as well as instruction13 and reading14. In short, cognitive-enhancing drugs seem morally equivalent to other, more familiar, enhancements.
The numbers were citations, too lazy to remove them - I'm also between classes so I don't have time to read any more of it atm

edit: I love how straw man still insists on banging his head against the wall until his helmet breaks and all the air comes rushing out of his empty skull. That "pound of adderall" bit still isn't getting old after the 3rd or 4th time... really, it isn't
Old 01-13-2009, 07:47 AM 9m9n9t is offline  
#148  

bingstudent
I am an idiot!
 
bingstudent's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9m9n9t View Post
It's a good find but, unfortunately for you, the article you quoted agrees with myself and DigitalChaos:

I don't disagree with you too whatsoever, read my post above. I think society should encourage the use of cognitive enhancers for everyone.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:00 AM bingstudent is offline  
#149  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingstudent View Post
Academics is not a game, it's life, as such it's unfair. Colleges and universities have an obligation to prevent students from cheating on a test. Using cognitive enhancers to prepare is not cheating on the test.

I also support the responsible use of cognitive enhancers by the entirety of society.

Yeah well nothing is fair. I guess that makes everything ok, as long as it has a goal. Alrighty.

e: odd how you appeal to authority (colleges having an obligation to prevent students from cheating), but you seem to skip entirely the fact that there's plenty of authority in the world saying that running around on amphetamines that the doctor man didn't really mean for you to have isn't alright.
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 01-13-2009, 01:00 PM Straw Man is offline  
#150  

Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:05 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.