General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt00926 View Post
I pay $9.50 in NYC so bite me

It's health insurance's fault, it has nothing to do with the fact that the government knows taxing cigs is a steady source of cash flow for anything they do.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Taylor View Post
no more 20 packs for $2.99 or whatever they cost over there at the moment. they'll probably double in price as the state begins to treat people who're suffering from smoking-related problems and needs a way to recoup the losses.

My province is suing the tobacco companies for $50 billion to cover health expenses. They will tax cigs for other reasons, like a guaranteed revenue stream they know people will pay into. Health insurance has nothing to do with it. They tax alcohol here at high prices for the same reason. I was amazed walking into a pub in London and having the guy tell me beer and pop were the same price.

Patriotic Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckybob View Post
heres where youre getting confused. the point of government isnt to solve people's problems for them. its just a way to bind society together for common defense. and if shit goes wrong and we need a scapegoat, BAM we elected the perfect candidates.
lmao this is fucking retarded

Patriotic Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
Are you serious? Regan's tax reduction policies created more cash flow into the federal government. By letting business and the general population keep enough money to generate more wealth and infrastructure. Even with the democrat controlled congress spending a buck and a quarter more for every extra buck the policies brought in.
http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/200...n-and-revenue/
Federal revenue grew slower under Reagan than in the decade before or after his presidency when adjusted for inflation.

Of course even if this were true it would hardly make up for the massive cuts in social services and stagnation of middle and lower class incomes (which actually started their decline as a percent of total GDP under Reagan) while spending huge sums on the MIC.

Quote:
Regans foreign policy caused the collapse of soviet control over East Germany and the soviet satellite country breakup.

The SDI programs that were commissioned helped lead to the former and gave us massive amounts of pure research knowledge. Leading to breakthroughs in medicine. Computer science, semiconductor processes etc etc. Look up FEL if you want an example. Which is a direct SDI spinoff.
The Soviet Unions breakup had almost nothing to do with SDI or American military spending in general, it was primarily an internal political crisis unrelated to American military spending.

That you consider spending huge amounts of money on MIC jerk off projects a good thing is all that needs to be said for the rest.

Quote:
And all morons like you can do is spout the party line that the oh so unbiased media spewed at the time. Go on, use the buzz words you were taught. You know you want to. They'll make you feel all better.
lol still stupid as hell after all these years.

Patriotic Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
Are you fucking retarded? Because of SDI, the Soviets were forced to spend money on their military that their economy couldn't afford. One of the reasons the Americans were able to win the Cold War is specifically because they were able to out spend the Soviets. Most people with an IQ over 6 recognize SDI was a contributing factor to that. To suggest that SDI had absolutely no effect on the ultimate collapse of the Soviet Union is misguided at best. If nothing else, it at least accelerated the timeline.
According to CIA estimates which are generally considered the most accurate overall estimates of total USSR military spending, military spending as a percent of Soviet GDP never significantly increased during Reagans term (the Soviets official numbers show a large jump in 1987 but these are well below the CIAs estimates) and was actually decreasing by 1988. The Soviet economy was also growing significantly during the mid and late 80's (By capitalist measures of growth)

The collapse of the USSR was triggered by an internal political crisis primarily brought about by the adoption of capitalist style economic reforms and the dissolving of Soviet party control over regional entities. SDI and Reagans military buildup as a cause of Soviet collapse is mostly propaganda.

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!

Quote:
My province is suing the tobacco companies for $50 billion to cover health expenses. They will tax cigs for other reasons, like a guaranteed revenue stream they know people will pay into. Health insurance has nothing to do with it. They tax alcohol here at high prices for the same reason. I was amazed walking into a pub in London and having the guy tell me beer and pop were the same price.

The United States already did this, and won.
The Tobacco companies dished out billions to the states to cover the health-care expenses of the smokers.
Almost no state actually used the money for that purpose.

Vote McCain!
Retardism

Quote:
Are you serious? Regan's tax reduction policies created more cash flow into the federal government. By letting business and the general population keep enough money to generate more wealth and infrastructure. Even with the democrat controlled congress spending a buck and a quarter more for every extra buck the policies brought in.

Regans foreign policy caused the collapse of soviet control over East Germany and the soviet satellite country breakup.

The SDI programs that were commissioned helped lead to the former and gave us massive amounts of pure research knowledge. Leading to breakthroughs in medicine. Computer science, semiconductor processes etc etc. Look up FEL if you want an example. Which is a direct SDI spinoff.

And all morons like you can do is spout the party line that the oh so unbiased media spewed at the time. Go on, use the buzz words you were taught. You know you want to. They'll make you feel all better.

Reagan's tax policies led to the collapse of our own economy during Bush senior, effectively destroyed the middle class, and sent living wage manufacturing jobs overseas. Now instead of making anything useful, we've turned into a nation that asks "you want fries with that?". It created the unstable boom-bust economy that we live in now.

Oh yeah, and it was Charlie Wilson that finished off the soviets

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Eagle View Post
According to CIA estimates which are generally considered the most accurate overall estimates of total USSR military spending, military spending as a percent of Soviet GDP never significantly increased during Reagans term (the Soviets official numbers show a large jump in 1987 but these are well below the CIAs estimates) and was actually decreasing by 1988. The Soviet economy was also growing significantly during the mid and late 80's (By capitalist measures of growth)

The collapse of the USSR was triggered by an internal political crisis primarily brought about by the adoption of capitalist style economic reforms and the dissolving of Soviet party control over regional entities. SDI and Reagans military buildup as a cause of Soviet collapse is mostly propaganda.

It's not necessarily about having to spend MORE, it's about having to spend to keep up. Soviet military expendatures were a documented cause of economic stagnation, even during the Reagan years. Anything one side did that set the other side back (caused a gap) would force the other side to respond. Increased American military expenditures, including SDI, prevented the Soviets from scaling back money that could have been spent elsewhere.

Further, you're saying the spending per GDP never significantly increased. It was still, at times, 25% of GNP in the Soviet Union. When you're spending that much, it's not sustainable. US innovations like SDI prevented them from significantly reducing that figure. SDI was not the only thing, but to suggest the threat of a superweapon did not spurn any concern or respond from the Soviets would not be accurate. It doesn't follow the Cold War pattern.

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangmonkey View Post
The United States already did this, and won.
The Tobacco companies dished out billions to the states to cover the health-care expenses of the smokers.
Almost no state actually used the money for that purpose.

Not surprising, they had their own pockets to line.

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote McCain! View Post
Reagan's tax policies led to the collapse of our own economy during Bush senior, effectively destroyed the middle class, and sent living wage manufacturing jobs overseas. Now instead of making anything useful, we've turned into a nation that asks "you want fries with that?". It created the unstable boom-bust economy that we live in now.

No, Chinese manufacturers with labour forces working for 1/10th the cost and the Chinese pegging the Yuan against the dollar, as well as unions negotiating unsustainably high compensation packages for unskilled workers is what's losing manufacturing jobs. Tax cuts are not an incentive for business to leave.

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote McCain! View Post

You dont read so well

http://www.ustreas.gov/education/fac...es/ustax.shtml[/QUOTE]

SemperFly

Quote:
You're selectively picking what gets defined as conservative. Conservatism by it's definition is preservation of the old order, including in a social sense. The majority of people who self describe as conservative are socially conservative, at least to some extent and certainly more so than self described liberals. All the things you listed there are definitely in the interest of preserving the traditional order of society.

No, that's been the definition of conservativism for a long time. By one definition of the word in the dictionary, yes. But the definition of the political ideology, no.

SemperFly

Quote:
cool

Almost all Republicans describe themselves as conservatives, only about a third or less of Democrats self label as liberal or progressive and even fewer of that are actually progressive in policy.
how far up your ass did you have to reach to nab those statistics?
Quote:
Probably a majority of Democrats are just moderate conservatives who are willing to throw a few token bones to welfare and social freedoms. I'm sure not all Republicans are in actually what you would describe as conservative, but there's not straight analogy here between the Democrats and progressives and Republicans and conservatives.
Of course there isn't. There's never anything wrong with your team, and when there is, it's never nearly as bad as the team you don't like.
Quote:
Which is why I said I'm willing to support self determination of States (or rather whatever group of people is progressive within a State) when they enact progressive policies and oppose them when they support regressive/conservative policies which I'm sure you know there are plenty of examples of as well.
Despite the fact that the latter goes against the law, a law that you try to wrap yourself in when it gets subverted against something you support. You love them 4th and 5th amendments but fuck the 9th and 10th. Guess they're lower on the list so they're not as important, right?
Quote:

Sure. It's imperfect and if it gets in the way of progressivism it should be ignored or changed. Arguments about whether something is right or wrong shouldn't focus on the constitution, they should focus on that things actual effects. The constitution should be a guide not an absolute.
It's amusing how you automatically assume that progressivism is inherently a good thing. But yet you are blind to what you're actually suggesting; it's ok to break the law when it supports your cause. Because you're always right. You know what's best for hundreds of millions of people. There's no need for a framing document to control the government, you've got all the answers!
Quote:

I'm sure there are individuals who support states rights and could be progressive or whatever, however the overwhelming majority are conservatives and their policies are regressive.
Did you have to practice getting that much through your head or does it come naturally? You are the queen of misinformed assumptions, my dear.
Quote:
I never said any of this wasn't true nor even implied it.
Actually, that's exactly what you implied.
Quote:
If you seriously can't draw the connection between white supremacy and the history of States rights in the South well....I guess you're just the same old Fly Navy!
It's akin to assuming all Germans are anti-semites. It's an idiot's look at history. I guess you're just the same old jim!
Quote:
Amazing how you turned out then. Just another victim of capitalist and conservative propaganda I guess. What a shame.
Indeed. I should have ended up like the poster child of the ghetto neighborhood: demanding handouts and pretending everything is the white man's fault. Thrilled that you're keeping up the mantle, though. Power to the peeps.
Quote:

lol
lol
Quote:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Isn't that Goliath?

Vote McCain!
Retardism

Quote:
No, Chinese manufacturers with labour forces working for 1/10th the cost and the Chinese pegging the Yuan against the dollar, as well as unions negotiating unsustainably high compensation packages for unskilled workers is what's losing manufacturing jobs. Tax cuts are not an incentive for business to leave.

when you create a monetary incentive for businesses that send manufacturing jobs overseas through your tax policies, then yes, tax cuts ARE an incentive for businesses to leave.

The fact that China's labour was 1/10th the cost of ours made it the natural place to send those jobs (aside from mexico, thailand, and a whole host of other countries)