General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckybob View Post
the fact that both sides think its biased against them probably means its a good source of journalistic integrity

No reasonable person could think NPR has a conservative bias. I think it's a good news source, talks about a lot of stuff you don't see in the mainstream, has great guests, great interviews, but there's no getting around the fact that they're left leaning.


Hell, they even acknowledge it themselves. They have an ombudsman that critiques their coverage and they note straight up that they have a left wing bias.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:27 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#16  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?
 
joemama's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post
I can't even describe how absurd it is that you think NPR is right leaning. What you just said is the equivalent of joemama saying Fox News is a hidden mouthpiece for George Soros.

you are fucking hilarious, dude. thank you for sticking around
Heyyyy....I didn't even post in this thread yet.

edit- and I don't really know who George Soros is..
__________________
Rapid-fire double bass of the GenMay dru[M]mers collective

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v
Old 01-23-2010, 06:38 PM joemama is offline  
Reply With Quote
#17  

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
Heyyyy....I didn't even post in this thread yet.

edit- and I don't really know who George Soros is..


r u serious? u cant b serious!!!
he is the millionaire that gives millions to groups like moveon.org and Air America so they can bitch when a not quite as rich republican gives groups like swift boat vets 50grand and call them a paid hit organization.
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323
Old 01-23-2010, 07:08 PM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#18  

Patriotic Eagle
 
Patriotic Eagle's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post
I can't even describe how absurd it is that you think NPR is right leaning. What you just said is the equivalent of joemama saying Fox News is a hidden mouthpiece for George Soros.

you are fucking hilarious, dude. thank you for sticking around

Here's a real knee slapper- your participation in and defense of the US military. Having a chuckle right now...
Old 01-23-2010, 07:26 PM Patriotic Eagle is offline  
Reply With Quote
#19  

Patriotic Eagle
 
Patriotic Eagle's Avatar
 
From my perspective the Jedis are evil
Old 01-23-2010, 07:26 PM Patriotic Eagle is offline  
Reply With Quote
#20  

Patriotic Eagle
 
Patriotic Eagle's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trachei View Post
Drudge just says what's on everyone's mind, but they didn't say so they could be politically correct.

I guess if by everyone you mean a bunch of dip shit mongoloids, yeah I guess so.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:28 PM Patriotic Eagle is offline  
Reply With Quote
#21  

Patriotic Eagle
 
Patriotic Eagle's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckybob View Post
the fact that both sides think its biased against them probably means its a good source of journalistic integrity

It isn't.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:29 PM Patriotic Eagle is offline  
Reply With Quote
#22  

Patriotic Eagle
 
Patriotic Eagle's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
I would love to know exactly what scale puts NPR as "right leaning." I love me some NPR, but it's pretty obviously left-leaning by the American standards of politics.

Most people in the US who "lean left" are still pretty nationalistic and unwilling to examine either the history of the US or the effects of the US economic system beyond the superficial. I listen to quite a lot of NPR as well and I'm not really sure why anyone would describe them as left, they're not as right leaning as most major private national news networks, but that's not saying much. I do appreciate that they sometimes have more in depth coverage of a given subject, but overall I rarely hear them challenge existing paradigm established by either government apparatus or private news, have any real examination of US foreign policy, often treat rightwing viewpoints as equally valid even when they're clearly not, and in general don't really see how they're significantly different in their coverage of most news.

I will give them kudos in that they do occasionally touch on subjects that are more or less ignored by the rest of the national media. However they also do things like blacklisting actual leftists (here's Chomsky talking about it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXh1_ubCQAI) and the farthest they'll ever push is to basically repeat mainstream Democrat opinions.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:55 PM Patriotic Eagle is offline  
Reply With Quote
#23  

Mr. Marbles
 
Another vote for Drudge. I read it every day. Its biased but pooling all the breaking and interesting stories from a wide variety of news sources onto one site is nice.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:20 PM Mr. Marbles is offline  
Reply With Quote
#24  

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll
 
Redrum's Avatar
 
i'm a great connoisseur of reliable, unbiased, obscure internet only news sources. i'm not a sheeple.
__________________
lol
Old 01-23-2010, 10:02 PM Redrum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#25  

topcat989
 
topcat989's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
I would love to know exactly what scale puts NPR as "right leaning."........

The "Fucktard" scale of Political Measurement
Old 01-24-2010, 09:09 AM topcat989 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#26  

Xayd
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxyBrown View Post
Where is a good source for accurate unbiased news? I am looking for a location on the web to start going to when I want to get caught up on the goings on.

Sites that I do not trust are as follows:
www.cnn.com
www.foxnews.com
www.ap.org
www.reuters.com
www.msnbc.com
www.bbc.co.uk (only because they aren't in this country)
english.aljazeera.net
www.cbsnews.com
abcnews.go.com


So where does that lead me?

there is no vast media bias. so solution is simple...

1) stop watching fox news

2) you have now eliminated bias from whatever news you're watching

that said, as for quality, the BBC is the best out there, i agree.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:35 AM Xayd is offline  
Reply With Quote
#27  

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!
 
Zangmonkey's Avatar
 
I usually read decidedly biased sources on each side and then try to balance things out.

I subscribe to two publications:
The Economist and The Atlantic.
Both are biased, but they also provide some insightful articles
__________________
09 F9
Old 01-24-2010, 12:40 PM Zangmonkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
#28  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
i'm a great connoisseur of reliable, unbiased, obscure internet only news sources. i'm not a sheeple.

Sometimes I like you so much even if you are a dirty slav
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 01-24-2010, 12:48 PM Straw Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
#29  

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush
 
Tom Kazansky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post
there is no such thing

every human being is biased. unless you find a news organization run by a fucking alien android, you're always going to be subjected to someone else's preference, however slight

Yeah, but you can tell all your friends at college that you watch BBC because it's "unbiased", and they'll just nod and praise you for being "cultured".
__________________
ERTW - Engineers Rule The World
Old 01-24-2010, 01:12 PM Tom Kazansky is offline  
Reply With Quote
#30  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:14 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.