General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
crumbaker
 
crumbaker's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxman924 View Post
Immortality seems to be a pretty unrealistic goal from what I have read on it so let us for the sake of this thread ignore it as a scientific innovation. I am not saying it won't ever happen, but ignoring it will make the discussion more interesting.

That said, crumbaker, what now? Your life is finite. What will you think when the doctor gives you 6 months to live? What will you think on your death bed? What will you say to your family?

I guess we'll just have to see
Old 03-03-2010, 08:52 PM crumbaker is offline  
Reply With Quote
#46  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

matt00926
baaaaaa
 
matt00926's Avatar
 
It kinda sucks being in the middle -- I can't convince myself to take to heart what people that believe you are nothing after you die say and that it's not a big deal, and on the other side the folks who believe in the afterlife. Both are unsatisfying and I've never found someone that can reason with me . I really only have thoughts like that when I'm alone and not busy so I usually try to stay out of the house as much as possible.
__________________
cd09d75f80807fd8baa143b39fa895eb [pornmay.com]
Old 03-05-2010, 11:39 AM matt00926 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#47  

Kevlar
Suga Momma
 
Kevlar's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt00926 View Post
It kinda sucks being in the middle -- I can't convince myself to take to heart what people that believe you are nothing after you die say and that it's not a big deal, and on the other side the folks who believe in the afterlife. Both are unsatisfying and I've never found someone that can reason with me . I really only have thoughts like that when I'm alone and not busy so I usually try to stay out of the house as much as possible.


Watch the John Wayne version of the Alamo, the scene where the night before the battle the men are gathered discussing this very thing.
__________________
Obamacons, & you thought the Decepticons were bad!

Creating work for others to clean up & then calling it a contribution is like me throwing up at a party & saying I brought some dessert-Sanjay
Old 03-05-2010, 12:43 PM Kevlar is offline  
Reply With Quote
#48  

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxman924 View Post
Immortality seems to be a pretty unrealistic goal from what I have read on it so let us for the sake of this thread ignore it as a scientific innovation. I am not saying it won't ever happen, but ignoring it will make the discussion more interesting.

That said, crumbaker, what now? Your life is finite. What will you think when the doctor gives you 6 months to live? What will you think on your death bed? What will you say to your family?

you could have clinical immortality now if someone wanted to(or already has) thrown enough money at it. Except for the brain everything can be set back to say age 25 every 10 years..

When we get plasmid size nanotech even the brain could be repaired on a cell by cell basis. Then the only problem is when it's storage capacity runs out.
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323
Old 03-05-2010, 01:48 PM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#49  

CRasch
A Righteous Infliction of Retribution
 
CRasch's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
you could have clinical immortality now if someone wanted to(or already has) thrown enough money at it. Except for the brain everything can be set back to say age 25 every 10 years..

When we get plasmid size nanotech even the brain could be repaired on a cell by cell basis. Then the only problem is when it's storage capacity runs out.
C:\> format C: /S /U

or hopefully by that time we have the technology for using Q-bits!

But really, if I die, I'm not going to care that I'm dead.
__________________
http://www.crasch.net/
Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, when he said, "I drank what?"
Old 03-05-2010, 02:19 PM CRasch is offline  
Reply With Quote
#50  

Kevlar
Suga Momma
 
Kevlar's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
I have asthma and chronic bronchitis. I got a really bad cold or a minor flu(no muscle or bone sorness) the end of last week.

About half an hour-45 minutes after my first post in this thread I lost the ability to move air in or out of my lungs for 15 secs at a time. This after hours of labored breathing. Came close to passing out. Would have died if I was not awake to force myself to breathe.

It's gotten almost that bad a few times. Last night was the worst. But I hung in there. Cant let my mother win by dying first.

Side note. I think I made it worse by taking a Mucinex to break up the phlegm. I think the added froth helped block the swollen air passages. Could be just coincidence/ false conclusion but I am going to leave it as anecdotal evidence and not try confirming my hypothesis by taking another.


I hope you feel ok now
__________________
Obamacons, & you thought the Decepticons were bad!

Creating work for others to clean up & then calling it a contribution is like me throwing up at a party & saying I brought some dessert-Sanjay
Old 03-05-2010, 02:32 PM Kevlar is offline  
Reply With Quote
#51  

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
I hope you feel ok now

Hey there sweet thing!

Yeah went to the doc today and it's all cleared up but some irritation. Have 3 more days on antibiotics though.
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323
Old 03-05-2010, 02:59 PM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#52  

Mr. Susan
 
Do I fear death? Nay, but I wish to live.

Does anyone else ever feel like life is that party you stick around in because something awesome might happen but probably wont but you don't want to be at home sleeping and say you missed it?
__________________
Welcome to gen[G]ay
Old 03-08-2010, 06:49 AM Mr. Susan is offline  
Reply With Quote
#53  

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Susan View Post
Do I fear death? Nay, but I wish to live.

Does anyone else ever feel like life is that party you stick around in because something awesome might happen but probably wont but you don't want to be at home sleeping and say you missed it?

No, it's more like the party you didn't care about going to but someone insisted you go and the party is full of morons that think the dog shitting on the carpet is the height of Teh Funnay and the only reason you are still there is because you didn't bring your own ride.
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323
Old 03-08-2010, 08:44 AM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#54  

hobart
 
I figure, everybody has to die someday. I'm not the only one. I just hope I die in a drug induced haze in my own bed.
__________________
0c2a0b43ab9927d963d60b6a967e24af [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.780641c3fe863255d94a0ac7a20976ed
Old 03-11-2010, 03:25 PM hobart is offline  
Reply With Quote
#55  

bingstudent
I am an idiot!
 
bingstudent's Avatar
 
I'm with the guys that are pro-immortality ...

I am excited for our posthuman future.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:50 PM bingstudent is offline  
Reply With Quote
#56  

Saxman924
 
I think one thing that scares me the most is how short our lives are. I am already through a quarter of my life and I feel like it hasn't been that long. I have read that time goes by faster and faster due to the decrease in new memories created as we progress through our lives.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:05 PM Saxman924 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#57  

Bukkakeboy
 
Bukkakeboy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxman924 View Post
I think one thing that scares me the most is how short our lives are. I am already through a quarter of my life and I feel like it hasn't been that long. I have read that time goes by faster and faster due to the decrease in new memories created as we progress through our lives.

yes and?


we still have the time we have, nothing you can do about it except trying to not live like a total slothbag (average american )


The short&straight of it is this: We live pretty short lives, and then we die. When this is established, it becomes important to live your life as good as possible given the circumstances and possibilities within your reach.

For myself I will be content with raising good kids. If my kids turn out ok and do whatever it is they would like to do (excepting drastic antisocial behaviours), I will be content. This mainly because I'm always pretty much content with my life, so my (eventual) kids is the most important thing for me in the big picture.
__________________
fuck IRL

this is the internet... and someone is WRONG on it

-Tongboy
Old 03-13-2010, 04:22 PM Bukkakeboy is offline  
Reply With Quote
#58  

Frock
 
When you die, you are born again as the exact same person, and live the exact same life because the universe is a cycle with nothing else acting on it, so when it repeats it repeats the same way.

Maybe?
__________________
Stfu 35k

www.theladiesmonthly.com
Old 03-18-2010, 07:14 AM Frock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#59  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frock View Post
When you die, you are born again as the exact same person, and live the exact same life because the universe is a cycle with nothing else acting on it, so when it repeats it repeats the same way.

Maybe?

Making up stuff without having any reason to believe it's true is fun!

I believe that when we die we're all reborn in a different universe as humanoid elephants, like Babar. Everything else is the same because why wouldn't it be?
Old 03-18-2010, 08:45 AM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#60  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:40 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.