General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf(e) View Post
The bombs bursting in air, the flag still being there, this is referring to the Americans defense of Fort Mchenry in Baltimore against the British. But the war ended in a draw, and at any rate the British were only secondary enemies-- our paranoia of Indian tribes becoming unified being the primary cause for this war.

If one is to read the star spangled banner without knowing much else of the history (which many people do, id imagine), it paints a very inaccurate picture of what was going on. Its slanted. Politics as usual eh

Oh I know the history behind the writing of the Star Spangled Banner, but I don't think in the modern day it makes anyone think "Britain is the enemy" or anything like that.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Golf(e)

I agree, likely because nobody really even thinks about it at all. But if you dont know the history and you do sit down and read the star spangled banner, it is very misleading, its completely slanted. As if we were brave heroes defending our home front from those dastardly British. Im sure most people are smart enough to realize national anthems are generally biased and maybe not the most accurate source of history but nevertheless.... why? Its silly. We should change it.
And motion soared in every direction, causing a tidal wave of thought to crash dumbly through walls, and made passageways where previously was occupied by the stillness of mathematics in its purest manifestation of white reflection on white backdrop

Gibonius

National anthems aren't really intended to be a source of unbiased historical knowledge, they're supposed to stir up patriotism.

Golf(e)

Yeah, so we can all agree they're pretty fucking stupid then?

Unless the thought of slaughtering indians makes you feel patriotic, that is
And motion soared in every direction, causing a tidal wave of thought to crash dumbly through walls, and made passageways where previously was occupied by the stillness of mathematics in its purest manifestation of white reflection on white backdrop

claw_daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
I've heard that argument, but the opposition parties have no balls so the budget was inevitably going to be passed, even though Michael Ignatieff said "Mr. Harper, YOUR TIME IS UP" back in October. I guess Iggy meant to say Harper's time was up whenever he felt like leaving. Basically what I'm getting as is the Conservatives could have put in anything they wanted in that budget and it would have passed.

the opposition won't have any balls until yet another leadership convention because iggy doesn't seem to be able to lead his party

edit- also, think of the other issues that the conservatives were dealing with before parliament was prorogued. pretty tactful of them

Last edited by claw_daddy; 03-07-2010 at 02:20 PM..

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf(e) View Post
Unless the thought of slaughtering indians makes you feel patriotic, that is

Well they do keep taking our IT jobs

Golf(e)

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
Oh I know stupid shit of that nature happens in America, but I'm being specific when it comes to something about national identity. The Americans are the best in the world when it comes to pride in their heritage and their values. I don't think I've ever watched an American debate where someone doesn't say "the founding fathers" at least once over the course of it. I can't picture anyone in the US even entertaining the idea of messing with something as cherished as their national anthem, especially if they think it might offend immigrants!
I'm pretty sure at some point or another pretty much anything in the U.S. that has to do with national pride/heritage has come under fire from some group of individuals either seeking attention or just feeling left out somehow...but most are ignored.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

In other words everyone wont get their fifteen minutes of fame but will get their fifteen minutes of Lame.

tanner9072

around the same time that people in the US started bitching about having "one nation under god" in the pledge of allegiance, Texas decided to put "one state under god" into their state pledge. being that i went to school in texas, it was the stupidest shit i have ever witnessed; besides having to actually say a pledge of allegiance in the first place.

so yes, stupid shit like that does happen in america, except its from both sides of the spectrum.

TheMorlock

I bitched about it when I was in grade school. refused to say the anthem. Because it was a McCarthy era change for one thing and because I don't think I should have to acknowledge anyones god on a daily basis for another. Don't care about the coins.

This was in the early 70's so...

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
I don't think I should have to acknowledge anyones god on a daily basis for another.

Did your parents teach you that or were you that opinionated at that age?

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
Did your parents teach you that or were you that opinionated at that age?

That opinionated. Parents were both religious.