General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Lotsoguns

London is becoming a very strange place

I've heard and read a lot about the London police beating people and covering their IDs etc. Also the articles talking about installing cameras in personal homes were disturbing enough. Lately if you decide to take ANY photograph in public its considered 'anti-social actions' and the police come and collect all your info (if not detain/arrest). Its becoming quite obvious that the EU is becoming a type of government we were all told to watch out for. What I haven't seen or heard is about any opposition from the citizens of those areas. Have they been so blinded that they can't see whats quickly being put in place?

This article today is what motivated me to make a post. (regards upcoming 2012 Olympics and new polices)

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100303...n-ca02f96.html

Quote:
POLICE POWERS

Police will have powers to enter private homes and seize posters, and will be able to stop people carrying non-sponsor items to sporting events.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Conna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotsoguns View Post
I've heard and read a lot about the London police beating people and covering their IDs etc. Also the articles talking about installing cameras in personal homes were disturbing enough. Lately if you decide to take ANY photograph in public its considered 'anti-social actions' and the police come and collect all your info (if not detain/arrest). Its becoming quite obvious that the EU is becoming a type of government we were all told to watch out for. What I haven't seen or heard is about any opposition from the citizens of those areas. Have they been so blinded that they can't see whats quickly being put in place?

The EU is not one government, there is quite a lot of variation between legislations of different countries. For example, UK has virtually banned private ownership of firearms, while here in Finland licences are granted up to self-loading rifles, and even the use of suppressors is unregulated. That being said, changes to current gun laws have been proposed due to the school shootings that have taken place during the past few years, among said propositions an outright ban of all self-loading pistols and rifles.

That's just one example though, and I have to admit that I too am worried about the direction the UK is heading here. There's another article about this matter here,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/ju...ivil-liberties

according to which, not only would police officers have the right to enter people's homes, but private contractors aswell. However, a court warrant would be required.

Last edited by Conna; 03-06-2010 at 02:33 PM..

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

ASBO

Electrikfuzz050

You're all just batshit insane right-wing fearmongers

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

MURKA IS FASCIST AND EVIL ONLY IN GLORIOUS YUROP DO WE GIVE HEALTH CARE FOR FREE AND SEARCH HOMES AS WE PLEASE. STOOPID PIG DISGUSTING IGNORANT MURKANS, THEY ARE SO EVIL. THEY HAVE GUNS AND BELIEVE IN SELF DEFENSE, FILTHY FASCIST FUCKS.

LOL PATRIOT ACT BOOSH VOTE OBAMA/BIDEN 2012

The Internet
Invented by Bob Dole. Get of Bob Dole's internet. Bob Dole Comands it. Bob Dole

I'm curious OP, do you live in London, or even the UK? The fact that you think the EU = one government doesn't really help you seem at all credible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
MURKA IS FASCIST AND EVIL ONLY IN GLORIOUS YUROP DO WE GIVE HEALTH CARE FOR FREE AND SEARCH HOMES AS WE PLEASE. STOOPID PIG DISGUSTING IGNORANT MURKANS, THEY ARE SO EVIL. THEY HAVE GUNS AND BELIEVE IN SELF DEFENSE, FILTHY FASCIST FUCKS.

LOL PATRIOT ACT BOOSH VOTE OBAMA/BIDEN 2012

What accent was that meant to be?
5bb111fc1aa058e1283875b86b1a571c

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

HAIL GLORIOUS YUROP IN AMERICA THERE IS WIRE TAPS WITHOUT WARRANTS AND RACIAL PROFILING THEY R SO EVIL

chuckybob
Mario raped Peach in her fuzzy spot while twisting and twirling his mustache sexylike

ITT OP DIDNT READ ARTICLE IN FULL

"Section 22 allows a "constable or enforcement officer" to "enter land or premises" where they believe such an advert is being shown or produced. It allows for materials to be destroyed, and for the use of "reasonable force". The power to force entry requires a court warrant. Causing still further concern is a section granting the powers to an enforcement officer appointed by Olympic Delivery Authority."

"A senior government security official said the powers would not be used to suppress protests or political placards. And the assistant commissioner, Chris Alison, in charge of the policing of the 2012 Olympics, said: "We are not going into people's houses to stop people protesting.""

which is not to say that the english arent stupid facist pigs undeserving of the freedoms their ancestors fought for, but as far as this is concerned, its no big deal. id be more worried about your cultural zeitgeist, legacy of imperialism, over-restrictive gun laws, cameras on every street corner, and baseless loyalty to the royal family than a few silly politicians trying to polish the city for the olympics.

its really not a EU thing, its a UK thing. france is one of the most liberal countries on earth.

curdledvomit

becoming? surely you jest?

00110001 00110011 01101011 and damn proud of it!

Squid posted..."curdledvomit is the first +10k guy i actually care about"

acc6d08c13aa2f2586ec5bf7b70854c3

curdledvomit

Serious question

oops sorry i tried to make a new thread...doh!

00110001 00110011 01101011 and damn proud of it!

Squid posted..."curdledvomit is the first +10k guy i actually care about"

acc6d08c13aa2f2586ec5bf7b70854c3

Last edited by curdledvomit; 03-08-2010 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: dork

Coqui

Remember Remember the 5th of November

Mr. Susan

I work and live in the city and can't say I feel like I'm being constantly watched or oppressed by overbearing police presence. It'd be cool if I got less shit for smoking weed but appart from that it's all coo'.

8ond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Susan View Post
I work and live in the city and can't say I feel like I'm being constantly watched or oppressed by overbearing police presence. It'd be cool if I got less shit for smoking weed but appart from that it's all coo'.

Amsterdam is at a rock's throw away ... now seriously, my friend lives there and he's pretty chill about the whole police thing too.

Cannondale

VOTE BNP!

bingstudent
I am an idiot!

I don't see how this is really any different from the ways that the US government spies on its citizens either ... at least the UK is transparent about their actions.