General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

curdledvomit

Well if our national debt is going to 100% of GDP in a few years that will not end well.

00110001 00110011 01101011 and damn proud of it!

Squid posted..."curdledvomit is the first +10k guy i actually care about"

acc6d08c13aa2f2586ec5bf7b70854c3

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Frenetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangmonkey View Post
This is the problem though. We focus on the loss of jobs rather than the creation of opportunity because it's easier for politicians (aka us) to fight outsourcing than defeat it.

Take cars for example. Instead of hating on robotic car manufacturing we could enjoy cheaper vehicles and respec to something more useful like modern society.

The software on a CD is more valuable than the CD itself.

I agree with this. I think we will definitely go through some frictional unemployment, as things like technology, human services, mass media, and energy become prevalent jobs in America. This might seem a bit like a cop out, but I liked Obama's Green Jobs initiative. If we made solar and wind power streamlined into our infrastructure, that would be a big deal, internationally. I know Sweden has done something like that, but their population and GDP is much lower than ours.

My big issue, and I really don't have an answer for this, is that these new jobs won't totally replace the blue collar jobs that already existed. People who worked in a factory for 15 years can't just become IT guys. And I don't think these highly skilled jobs, though growing in demand, can match the quantity of the blue collar jobs that existed before them.

Caelum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangmonkey View Post
I think outsourcing is beneficial if we focus on expanding skilled jobs and other tasks not easily outsourced.

Americans benefit from being able to buy standard products like t-shirts at low prices because they are made in chingchongland.
However, it is not feasible to outsource many jobs like distribution networks, services or skilled labor.

For example, an auto mechanic in this country can pretty easily make $100k a year.

He comes to the same point towards the end
http://www.ted.com/talks/mike_rowe_c...irty_jobs.html

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
I agree with this. I think we will definitely go through some frictional unemployment, as things like technology, human services, mass media, and energy become prevalent jobs in America. This might seem a bit like a cop out, but I liked Obama's Green Jobs initiative. If we made solar and wind power streamlined into our infrastructure, that would be a big deal, internationally. I know Sweden has done something like that, but their population and GDP is much lower than ours.

My big issue, and I really don't have an answer for this, is that these new jobs won't totally replace the blue collar jobs that already existed. People who worked in a factory for 15 years can't just become IT guys. And I don't think these highly skilled jobs, though growing in demand, can match the quantity of the blue collar jobs that existed before them.

service jobs just move money around, they add no net worth to an economy.(talking globally here) You need some type of manufacture that adds value to a base resource

Cheap power generation leverages that manufacture better. But is not in and of itself a value added product. Wind is just a bit over break even over the lifetime of the wind tower. So is an economy killer at the moment still. Photovoltaic is not even close.

That leaves technology. And that moves so fast and requires such a high rate of investment it only takes one wrong step to set you on the path to oblivion. Kodak and Xerox ring a bell? Motorolla? Atari? And you still need to manufacture something out of the engineering knowledge.

curdledvomit

I agree Frentic...there will be a period of time when things will have to "adjust". That being said I think there are most likely some things we have yet to think of that might help in the transition.
Maybe we could go ahead and spend a lot of tax money on REAL infrastructure in this great Nation...sounds ckiche but seriously? Why should Japan and Europe have better and faster and more efficient trains than we do? It goes way beyond that though. We need a new electrical grid, better border control etc...seems to me a better way to spend cash on these things instead of bridges for some turtle or what ever.

00110001 00110011 01101011 and damn proud of it!

Squid posted..."curdledvomit is the first +10k guy i actually care about"

acc6d08c13aa2f2586ec5bf7b70854c3