General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrikfuzz050 View Post
Then what's the big deal with insurance companies not accepting people with pre-existing conditions already? I mean if they have to have insurance in order to get the diagnosis, then it isn't a problem. (obviously you can get dropped but something like 95% of people who take the insurance companies to court over this shit end up getting millions for the health care costs plus damages.)

People switch companies all the time. That's the deal with the pre-existing condistions. Anytime you change jobs, you more than likely are switching insurance companies.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuzzyArchon View Post
health care is not a right

But getting raped on premiums is?

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
Except you wouldn't be diagnosed with cancer until you had insurance in the first place. They can decline to help you with a scan. It's not life threatening. So before all this, you could still get insurance seeing as cancer was never a pre-existing condition.

This is the silliest statement in the thread and you would do yourself a favor to acknowledge that.

A diagnosis only occurs when you're insured?

DivineStorm
I talk shit on the internet because in real life i'm a huge fucking pussy faggot

Wow, welcome to the civilized world, America. You're no longer like a third-world country!

SemperFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineStorm View Post
Wow, welcome to the civilized world, America. You're no longer like a third-world country!

we'll consider the rest of the world civilized when another country manages to put a human being on the fucking moon

SemperFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangmonkey View Post
This is the silliest statement in the thread and you would do yourself a favor to acknowledge that.

A diagnosis only occurs when you're insured?

for most people, yes. especially with cancer

do you know how much a fucking biopsy would cost out of pocket?

Electrikfuzz050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
What exactly is the point of this line of commentary, other than "LULZ stupid liberals"?

It's a rebuttal to your post and a few others that basically said "LULZ stupid conservatives".

Electrikfuzz050

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
That's what we have now.

Really? I drove past the UMich ER on the way home today and it was pretty empty, dude. Like 5 or 6 cars in the parking lot. So that's like what, 1 uninsured person?

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Really? I drove past the UMich ER on the way home today and it was pretty empty, dude. Like 5 or 6 cars in the parking lot. So that's like what, 1 uninsured person?

That sounds like a complete and thorough survey of the national ER situation.

Electrikfuzz050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
People switch companies all the time. That's the deal with the pre-existing condistions. Anytime you change jobs, you more than likely are switching insurance companies.

Right, I was being facetious. My point is if you start coughing up blood, and you go to the ER and are told that you have something serious, you can then buy health insurance, whereas if that happened before this bill, no insurance company would touch you.

Electrikfuzz050

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
That sounds like a complete and thorough survey of the national ER situation.

Saying that there's hordes of people outside of hospitals without insurance like a third-world country isn't a good representation of the national ER situation either.

Gibonius

Quote:
Right, I was being facetious. My point is if you start coughing up blood, and you go to the ER and are told that you have something serious, you can then buy health insurance, whereas if that happened before this bill, no insurance company would touch you.

And right now they can't refuse to treat you if you have something that requires immediate attention. The difference now that is anyone who waits until something becomes an emergency is either going to have to pay for insurance, or pay a fine, both of which will go to offset their care.

Electrikfuzz050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
And right now they can't refuse to treat you if you have something that requires immediate attention. The difference now that is anyone who waits until something becomes an emergency is either going to have to pay for insurance, or pay a fine, both of which will go to offset their care.

A good insurance plan is going to cost quite a bit more than the fine though. My point was though that it's quite easy to figure out that you need insurance if you start fainting constantly or shitting blood.

You could even get insurance whilst laying in the ER.

Gibonius

Quote:
A good insurance plan is going to cost quite a bit more than the fine though. My point was though that it's quite easy to figure out that you need insurance if you start fainting constantly or shitting blood.

You could even get insurance whilst laying in the ER.

What exactly is the alternative, other than "fuck people with pre-existing conditions?"

The new bill protects people with pre-existing conditions, and extracts at least a decent amount of money out of people who might want to just sit back and wait to get sick and then buy insurance.

dvargas24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post
for most people, yes. especially with cancer

do you know how much a fucking biopsy would cost out of pocket?

lets use an example other than cancer, it's being beat to death and there are hundreds of other possible scenarios...

a few weeks ago my wife had a condition detected...diagnosis cost...about $200. Corrective outpatient surgery: ~$10,000 (that's the part that shocked me)

People who experience the same circumstance would do well to pay cash for a doctor visit if the need arises, then acquire insurance prior to getting their treatment.