General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

DigitalChaos

U.S. judge rules TX town ordinance banning illegal's renting apts unconstitutional

U.S. judge rules Texas town's ordinance banning illegal immigrants from renting apartments is unconstitutional
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1dce73fb1.html

"Ordinance 2952 is a regulation of immigration and is preempted by the Supremacy Clause of the United States Constitution because the authority to regulate immigration is exclusively a federal power," she wrote in her ruling.

Thoughts? Is this seriously unconstitutional considering illegals aren't citizens? If it is unconstitutional what recourse does this town (and perhaps state) have if it feels the Fed is not doing enough to enforce immigration issues?

Last edited by DigitalChaos; 03-24-2010 at 05:35 PM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Aldaris

female judge, what did you expect? something fair and rational?

bingstudent
I am an idiot!

Seems pretty cut and dry, states can't preempt federal authority, particularly apparent in an instance of plenary power.

Even if it didn't fail the preemption challenge that law still would pretty clearly not pass equal protection muster.

edit: also, constitutional protections don't apply only to citizens, I don't know where that conservative talking point came from (maybe hannity?) ... and what kind of assholes wanted to prevent a landlord from renting property to whoever they please?

Last edited by bingstudent; 03-24-2010 at 04:47 PM..

SemperFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
considering illegals are citizens?
dude what?
Quote:
If it is unconstitutional what recourse does this town (and perhaps state) have if it feels the Fed is not doing enough to enforce immigration issues?
It can strictly enforce immigration laws on a local level. It's just not allowed to make new immigration laws.

DigitalChaos

aren't*
was a typo

SemperFly

oh lol

remember that the constitution does not apply ti citizens. its limits are on the government, not the people. one does not have to be a citizen to receive due process

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post
oh lol

remember that the constitution does not apply ti citizens. its limits are on the government, not the people. one does not have to be a citizen to receive due process

Exactly. If you think about it, you need to follow due process to even demonstrate that someone isn't a citizen.

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingstudent View Post
... and what kind of assholes wanted to prevent a landlord from renting property to whoever they please?
umm...wouldn't that be the federal government?

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

bingstudent
I am an idiot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
umm...wouldn't that be the federal government?

discrimination not withstanding, obviously, doesn't make much sense to me that a city would want to penalize landlords for renting out their apts without first checking the legal status of residents.

it's better to have the streets lined with homeless immigrants?

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
discrimination not withstanding, obviously, doesn't make much sense to me that a city would want to penalize landlords for renting out their apts without first checking the legal status of residents.

If the landlord wants to rent to illegals then they should be able to....but being forced to NOT disqualify someone from renting because they are illegal is not right either. Looking from the landlords standpoint...what if an illegal renter tears the shit out of their apartment (way above and beyond what any normal deposit would cover) and then disappears in the middle of the night? If they're off the grid then how are they going to track them down for legal action and payment? Not saying that illegals are more likely than anyone else to do this...simply that landlords should be allowed to minimize the risk if they so choose.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Seems pretty cut and dry, states can't preempt federal authority, particularly apparent in an instance of plenary power.

Even if it didn't fail the preemption challenge that law still would pretty clearly not pass equal protection muster.

edit: also, constitutional protections don't apply only to citizens, I don't know where that conservative talking point came from (maybe hannity?) ... and what kind of assholes wanted to prevent a landlord from renting property to whoever they please?

Just how does it not pass equal protection?

Thats like saying that banning rental to someone to use the apartment as a meth lab would be in violation of equal protection.

Both parties are in the act of commission of a crime.

TheMorlock

Quote:

No its better to brand Illegal Alien on their foreheads and deport them.

bingstudent
I am an idiot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
Just how does it not pass equal protection?

Thats like saying that banning rental to someone to use the apartment as a meth lab would be in violation of equal protection.

Both parties are in the act of commission of a crime.

Same reason all the various sex offender zoning laws are being eviscerated in the courts, just because someone entered illegally doesn't mean the states can pass laws to deprive him or her opportunity without due process.

bingstudent
I am an idiot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
No its better to brand Illegal Alien on their foreheads and deport them.

then who will pick your prunes, old man?

TheMorlock

Quote:
Same reason all the various sex offender zoning laws are being eviscerated in the courts, just because someone entered illegally doesn't mean the states can pass laws to deprive him or her opportunity without due process.

bzzzt wrong answer.

How does a PAST commission of a crime equate to an ONGOING commission of a crime?