General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
If the Democrats bring forward an ostensibly decent financial reform bill and the Republicans fight it tooth and nail (like they almost certainly will, regardless of the content of the bill), it will hurt the Republicans pretty badly. The public is still overwhelmingly in favor of such reform and firmly against the banks, the Republicans taking the side of Wall Street would really hurt them.

This I will agree with.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

bingstudent
I am an idiot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
Right, that's all he has to do. Once something starts changing, I suppose he can hope to accomplish that. All I've been hearing day by day from my American friends is that NOTHING is fucking changing, that's the problem. He was elected to do something different, and what you guys ended up with was more of the same. Even this health care bill isn't that big of a step. Don't get me wrong, it's a step in the right direction, but it fell far short of the goal, and in the end all it really accomplishes was a big boost to the insurance companies because now they can overcharge an additional 35 million customers.

You don't understand ... you're criticizing Obama from the left. The folks to the right of Obama are the ones he is reaching out to at this point. There is a large group of moderate folks that are satisfied with the status quo in many ways, or are aching a reduced deficit, that find themselves unable to align with the currently radicalized GOP. If Obama scoops them up by being Change-Lite TM then he will help push the dems to victory this year and in 2012.

Quote:
McCain put out a message last night saying it was a good move by Obama. I've not seen the GOP coming out en masse and claiming offshore drilling is suddenly a bad idea.

Tons of conservative opposition to the move:

Boehner - http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/677...-drilling-plan

Palin - http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...jYxZTU4NDQxN2Q

Pence - http://www.gop.gov/press-release/10/...ent-s-drilling

Quote:
Further, Obama made a clear flip flop here! As a matter of fact, let's have a look at what he said in 2008:

It's not a flip-flop now - it's a flip-flop that occurred in July of 2008. His position at the time of the election was that he supported OSD.

Quote:
That's a possibility, but if Obama stays the course, than I think you're going to see more results like the last by-election (IE, GOP regaining power). Obama's approval ratings have dropped below 50% last I checked (last week). The problem I think Obama got into was the hero worship he had during the campaign set the expectation bar way to high. Unless he walks on water, he's not going to meet the people's expectations, regardless of the job he's doing. The polls have shown that.

If the GOP continues to alienate anyone level headed the dems will hold their position in November. If Obama tames the banks and presides over a strong economic recovery he will win reelection in 2012. This is how these things just work out.

bingstudent
I am an idiot!

and have you seen Obama stump lately on health care? he's killing it out there!

Rapier

Republicans should just tell the social conservatives and nutjobs to get the fuck out of the party. Take the economics issues and then split the social vote. That would be enough to take back the House, Senate, and White House, assuming a prodigious economic recovery doesn't happen between now and 2012.

Current economic indicators suggest a sluggish recovery, and rising interest rates may yet create another mini-contraction as inflation becomes a huge issue.

As for the Asian thing... I dunno. The first Asian governor outside of Hawaii was elected in the 90s and then Jindal in Louisiana, of all places, got elected about a decade later. The right candidate could appear out of the woodwork in about 2 decades.

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingstudent View Post
You don't understand ... you're criticizing Obama from the left. The folks to the right of Obama are the ones he is reaching out to at this point. There is a large group of moderate folks that are satisfied with the status quo in many ways, or are aching a reduced deficit, that find themselves unable to align with the currently radicalized GOP. If Obama scoops them up by being Change-Lite TM then he will help push the dems to victory this year and in 2012.

And in his efforts to reach across the floor, he's accomplishing nothing. That's my point. The GOP is playing this politically very well by and large. At some point, Obama is going to have to realize he controls both houses of congress and move to implement more on his platform. He got elected because people liked his platform. Wavering from it is not going to help the Democrats to win the next election.

Quote:

Are you serious? Did you even read those links?

Boehner:

Quote:
House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) dismissed the president's plan as not going far enough in opening up U.S. waters for exploration.
NOT GOING FAR ENOUGH, as in, drill more.

Palin:

Quote:
As an Alaskan, I’m especially disheartened by the new ban on drilling in parts of the 49th state and the cancellation of lease sales in the Chukchi and Beaufort seas. These areas contain rich oil and gas reserves whose development is key to our country’s energy security. As I told Secretary Salazar last April, “Arctic exploration and development is a slow, demanding process. Delays or major restrictions in accessing these resources for environmentally responsible development are not in the national interest or the interests of the State of Alaska.”
Again, NOT GOING FAR ENOUGH. Palin is opposing it because he's not extending it to Alaska.

Pence:

Quote:
“The President’s announcement today is a smokescreen. It will almost certainly delay any new offshore exploration until at least 2012 and include only a fraction of the offshore resources that the previous Administration included in its plan.
NOT GOING FAR ENOUGH.

The GOP is not flip-flopping on offshore drilling. They're still supporting offshore drilling, they're just complaining Obama is not doing enough of it. Those are all from your own links, have a read. I have no idea how you're interpreting that as flip-flopping.

Quote:
It's not a flip-flop now - it's a flip-flop that occurred in July of 2008. His position at the time of the election was that he supported OSD.

On a limited basis, fair enough. It's still a flip-flop, but it's a flip-flop from a couple years ago.

Quote:
If the GOP continues to alienate anyone level headed the dems will hold their position in November. If Obama tames the banks and presides over a strong economic recovery he will win reelection in 2012. This is how these things just work out.

If.

Also, the GOP is not "alienating" anyone who is level headed.

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
and have you seen Obama stump lately on health care? he's killing it out there!

Define...?

chuckybob
Mario raped Peach in her fuzzy spot while twisting and twirling his mustache sexylike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
JFK(lost)

Hubert Humphrey George Wallace

George S. McGovern

Kennedy never lost an election because he was good looking

Hubert Humphrey had rapist eyes which is why he lost

George "segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever" Wallace committed political suicide or he would have won based on his good looks

George McGovern advocated defense spending cuts at the height of cold war paranoia and had at least 5 chins

Nixon on the other hand looked more like a perverted uncle than a rapist, wasnt overtly racist, and had only two chins

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckybob View Post
Kennedy never lost an election because he was good looking

Hubert Humphrey had rapist eyes which is why he lost

George "segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever" Wallace committed political suicide or he would have won based on his good looks

George McGovern advocated defense spending cuts at the height of cold war paranoia and had at least 5 chins

Nixon on the other hand looked more like a perverted uncle than a rapist, wasnt overtly racist, and had only two chins

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:

Seems the only people the GOP is alienating is whackjobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
I've said this elsewhere, and I'll say it here. I think you're going to be surprised with the results come November as well as next presidential election. I don't think the American public is in as much an uproar as you think it is.

Everyone I work with is in an uproar.

TheMorlock

Quote:
Define...?

Preaching to his true believers and getting no talkback from the majority of the press.

chuckybob
Mario raped Peach in her fuzzy spot while twisting and twirling his mustache sexylike

Quote:

ill go out on a limb and say that you live in alabama or west virginia

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

A better question is when are we gonna have a REAL black president.

barrack half breed yo.

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckybob View Post
ill go out on a limb and say that you live in alabama or west virginia

Better find a different limb. The one you are on does not exist.

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by :ninja: View Post
I don't think anyone on the republican ticket has a "good chance" anymore. The GOP has been blocking progress for too long and people are finally realizing it.

Um no, you have it quite backwards. Republicans for quite some time(decades) tried to work with democrats. Expecting them to uphold their end of agreements. All they get back stabbed with the help of the press.

Democrats scream and distort what is going on long enough to sucker people in again and pull shit like they did with healthcare.

People are waking up to this tactic now.

Not that republicans are saints and some of their politics is just ass backwards country fuck thinking.

Now that people are questioning the motives and methodology of the democrats they have fallen back on the battle cry of You are All Racists if you disagree. Which is the true last gasp of the desperate.

Coqui

Quote:

Everyone you work with represents 0.0000000000000000000001% of the population.

(yes that number's made up)