General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
You'd rather rely on the honesty of insurance companies, given their record of screwing policy holders? Obviously, as we see in this and other examples, that system isn't working.

No, I'd rather our government use the power to which they are already entrusted to squelch fraud.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangmonkey View Post
No, I'd rather our government use the power to which they are already entrusted to squelch fraud.

The problem is the insurance company is "justifying" their selections for termination, just like State Farm tried to do after Katrina.

SemperFly

Quote:
A big portion of the recent health care reform bill dealt directly with insurance reform of the kind I'm referring to. I can trust the government to create a law of that kind because it was part of this bill.

What is it about this bill that makes you trust the government more?

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!

Quote:
The problem is the insurance company is "justifying" their selections for termination, just like State Farm tried to do after Katrina.

That's what trials are for.
You think the insurance company would win at trial for dropping a poor women diagnosed with breast cancer?

The hospital doing the work has a potential bad-faith claim.
The patients cannot be denied treatment for inability to pay.

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post
What is it about this bill that makes you trust the government more?

I don't trust the government. I trust insurance companies even less.

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
You think the insurance company would win at trial for dropping a poor women diagnosed with breast cancer?

The hospital doing the work has a potential bad-faith claim.
The patients cannot be denied treatment for inability to pay.

Absolutely I do. With the kind of funds/lawyers they have at their disposal to fight a claim, which would be worth fighting given the cost of cancer treatment, and given how the US justice system works, I can totally see the insurance companies prove, in a court of law, that she was dropped for some other reason.

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
A big portion of the recent health care reform bill dealt directly with insurance reform of the kind I'm referring to. I can trust the government to create a law of that kind because it was part of this bill. My question is, why did such a significant portion of the government and American population resist that, given what we already know about the behaviour of insurance companies when it comes time for policy holders to collect?

because when all is said and done, it is possible to fight the insurance companies. Not so easy to fight the government after expanding it's power over and over and over

Coqui

Quote:

They would just settle and up the rates for everyone.

SemperFly

Quote:
I don't trust the government. I trust insurance companies even less.

fair enough

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
because when all is said and done, it is possible to fight the insurance companies. Not so easy to fight the government after expanding it's power over and over and over

That's a horrible justification. You wont have to fight the insurance companies if it's against the law for them to drop you from coverage to begin with. I don't see how that's anti-consumer in the slightest.

Xayd

you'll have to take it easy on him, he's still trying to think of who'd fix the traffic lights in his 19th century dreamland.

TheMorlock

Quote:
That's a horrible justification. You wont have to fight the insurance companies if it's against the law for them to drop you from coverage to begin with. I don't see how that's anti-consumer in the slightest.

I think it's already illegal. It's called Fraud. Mentioned earlier in the thread.

Horrible justification? Make the government enforce existing law instead of extending it's powers even further beyond it's charter?

Electrikfuzz050

Quote:

So if someone starts shooting heroin and becomes afflicted with endocarditis, the insurance company shouldn't be able to drop them?

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrikfuzz050 View Post
So if someone starts shooting heroin and becomes afflicted with endocarditis, the insurance company shouldn't be able to drop them?

So if someone goes rock climbing and shatters 8 vertebrae in his back because he missed a grab the insurance company shouldn't be able to drop them?

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
I think it's already illegal. It's called Fraud. Mentioned earlier in the thread.

Horrible justification? Make the government enforce existing law instead of extending it's powers even further beyond it's charter?

It's only fraud if a lawyer can prove it is. Insurance companies put in so many backdoors they'll find a way to themselves out of anything. Katrina is the perfect example of that, although State Farm did end up losing the lawsuit. Wellpoint is only continuing the tradition.