General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Electrikfuzz050
 
Electrikfuzz050's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukkakeboy View Post
Bringing in race is a lame duck because why would you (on health insurance) discriminate on a racial basis?

Different races are more susceptible to different diseases and maladies.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:32 AM Electrikfuzz050 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#61  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukkakeboy View Post
Oh and not charging extra for people who belong to risk-groups is discriminatory for everyone who does not belong to these. The companies will need to make that money back, so either we all pay for their increased risk through higher premiums, or the higher premiums get put on the people who actually have a higher risk of getting ill.

It's like car insurance. If you are 16-23 (or 25 or whatever) you pay a LOT more then people who are above that age. This is fair because young people (men esp) are MUCH more likely to crash then any other group afaik.

oh, b10

The problem is that we now use insurance as a form of perverse subsidization for all medical care. For an insurance to make money off me, for example, they'd need to charge me something like $13k a year. If it came down to that, I'd rather just not have any of my daily requirements covered and just pay cash and have insurance for other stuff, but I can't. Even if I was willing to not have insurance at all, the cost of everything would skyrocket for me.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:53 AM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#62  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
I really hope you're not being serious. If so, that's fucking retarded. Working out = generally healthier = less sick time = less claims. I understand you do increase wear and tear on your body, but seriously, that's stupid. You also heal your body faster when you're in better shape. I guess the insurance company is less interested in encouraging a healthy lifestyle which would save them money in the long run!

He's heavier because he lifts, so he has a higher BMI, so they think he's obese despite having a low BF%. They use BMI despite it being a wholly unscientific metric even for actual fat people.

The whole thing is stupid.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:54 AM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#63  

Coqui
 
Coqui's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
I really hope you're not being serious. If so, that's fucking retarded. Working out = generally healthier = less sick time = less claims. I understand you do increase wear and tear on your body, but seriously, that's stupid. You also heal your body faster when you're in better shape. I guess the insurance company is less interested in encouraging a healthy lifestyle which would save them money in the long run!

Insurance classifies me as morbidly obese simply because of my BMI. They don't care than I'm almost 10% Body Fat
__________________
I lack boobs and have a penis
Old 05-04-2010, 11:15 AM Coqui is offline  
Reply With Quote
#64  

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukkakeboy View Post


Bringing in race is a lame duck because why would you (on health insurance) discriminate on a racial basis?

White people are more at risk of skin cancer than blacks

Blacks have higher rates of diabetes are salt intolerant and are higher CP disease risks

Chinese get a particular illness that puts many of them in the hospital or their graves. Caucasians don't even know when they get the disease because they merely get very mild cold symptoms from it.

Blacks and sickle cell

Jews and EGS Excessive Greed Syndrome
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323
Old 05-04-2010, 11:55 AM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#65  

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush
 
Tom Kazansky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukkakeboy View Post
and?

We've been conditioned by particularly the self-righteous left that profiling is wrong. Either way, if they're going to profile than why is it ok to only focus on a certain (non-racial, non-woman) demographic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukkakeboy View Post
Bringing in race is a lame duck because why would you (on health insurance) discriminate on a racial basis?

Different races have completely different health issues.
__________________
ERTW - Engineers Rule The World
Old 05-04-2010, 12:45 PM Tom Kazansky is offline  
Reply With Quote
#66  

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush
 
Tom Kazansky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
He's heavier because he lifts, so he has a higher BMI, so they think he's obese despite having a low BF%. They use BMI despite it being a wholly unscientific metric even for actual fat people.

The whole thing is stupid.

BMI was developed a long time ago. Mine is 25 and I'm in the gym everyday, far from unhealthy. That's really stupid.
__________________
ERTW - Engineers Rule The World
Old 05-04-2010, 12:46 PM Tom Kazansky is offline  
Reply With Quote
#67  

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush
 
Tom Kazansky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
Insurance classifies me as morbidly obese simply because of my BMI. They don't care than I'm almost 10% Body Fat

That's beyond fucking retarded. Just out of curiousity, did you speak with anyone about that?

I had no idea health insurers actually looked at BMI (I'm Canadian, so we're different).

What's your BMI?
__________________
ERTW - Engineers Rule The World
Old 05-04-2010, 12:47 PM Tom Kazansky is offline  
Reply With Quote
#68  

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush
 
Tom Kazansky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
White people are more at risk of skin cancer than blacks

Blacks have higher rates of diabetes are salt intolerant and are higher CP disease risks

Chinese get a particular illness that puts many of them in the hospital or their graves. Caucasians don't even know when they get the disease because they merely get very mild cold symptoms from it.

Blacks and sickle cell

Jews and EGS Excessive Greed Syndrome

Anyone who isn't black and Osteoperosis.

Orientals are "obese" at a lower BMI based on their body types.

It's actually a long and comprehensive list when you start working it out.

I've never heard of this disease you're talking about with the Chinese though. Linkage?

Edit: I didn't see the Jew thing until I replied....that's racist (and by racist I mean totally hilarious)!
__________________
ERTW - Engineers Rule The World
Old 05-04-2010, 12:49 PM Tom Kazansky is offline  
Reply With Quote
#69  

Coqui
 
Coqui's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
That's beyond fucking retarded. Just out of curiousity, did you speak with anyone about that?

I had no idea health insurers actually looked at BMI (I'm Canadian, so we're different).

What's your BMI?

My BMI is 33
__________________
I lack boobs and have a penis
Old 05-04-2010, 01:29 PM Coqui is offline  
Reply With Quote
#70  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
BMI was developed a long time ago. Mine is 25 and I'm in the gym everyday, far from unhealthy. That's really stupid.

It wasn't even developed to determine health, just mathematically model proportion. Lots of studies use it these days because it's easy to track, but the correlation to health is pretty sketchy.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:15 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#71  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
It wasn't even developed to determine health, just mathematically model proportion. Lots of studies use it these days because it's easy to track, but the correlation to health is pretty sketchy.
Yeah.
Truth be told though, it does apply for most people. Taking one thousand people with a BMI of 35, you're going to have to really search for that one Schwarzenegger in the midst of 980 fatties
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 05-04-2010, 05:07 PM Straw Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
#72  

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
Anyone who isn't black and Osteoperosis.

Orientals are "obese" at a lower BMI based on their body types.

It's actually a long and comprehensive list when you start working it out.

I've never heard of this disease you're talking about with the Chinese though. Linkage?

Edit: I didn't see the Jew thing until I replied....that's racist (and by racist I mean totally hilarious)!

Dont recall the name. about 10 years ago the Head of the housekeeping dept at the hotel I worked at was out for 2 weeks and explained that it was a chinese disease without mentioning the actual name. I thought it was bogus, Then about a year later I ran across a real reference to it. But cant remember any details after this long. If I hit on a lucky search string I will PM. But it's not likely considering the state of google today. Too many shit hits.
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323
Old 05-04-2010, 11:34 PM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#73  

Coqui
 
Coqui's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
Yeah.
Truth be told though, it does apply for most people. Taking one thousand people with a BMI of 35, you're going to have to really search for that one Schwarzenegger in the midst of 980 fatties

Columbus, OH is in the top 20 fattest cities in the US according to BMI

Columbus, OH is in the top 5 fittest cities according to Muscle & Fitness

One of these two are lying.
__________________
I lack boobs and have a penis
Old 05-05-2010, 05:13 AM Coqui is offline  
Reply With Quote
#74  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
Columbus, OH is in the top 20 fattest cities in the US according to BMI

Columbus, OH is in the top 5 fittest cities according to Muscle & Fitness

One of these two are lying.

I doubt Muscle and Fitness uses a very rigorous methodology.


But basically any male who has lifted weights will end up as overweight or obese according to BMI. It's not a very good metric.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:45 AM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#75  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:21 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.