General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingstudent View Post
yes it can give you freedom from AT&T but then you lose your mobile broadband network so it's a pretty hard edge on the other side of that sword.

most people that are jailbreaking are doing it to be able to do things like tether, run non-jobs approved apps, customize their phone, etc.

But you can't use 3G on another network in the USA if you jailbreak? That seems odd to me since the capabilities of the phone are presumably no less, and AT&T is not the only 3G network.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBran View Post
Correction: Apple doesn't support Flash on its mobile products, not "most" of its products.

Neither does Google, for that matter, unless you happen to have some unreleased smartphone with Snapdragon and features rumored to be included Android 2.2 (we'll find out next week). Sure, it's fun to talk about nonexistent products, but I prefer facts.

It's sad that I have to make myself sound like a Mac zealot simply because Google can't get their shit together. I don't know why it's taken me this long to realize it, but Google loves to release products that aren't quite fully cooked. Sometimes it's fine and it pays off; Gmail has turned out to be a great product. Being an early adopter with Android, however, has essentially left me with food poisoning.

Let me re-phrase Apple's Products - Laptops, Desktops, tablet PCs (iPad), music players, telephones

60% of those 5 core products don't support flash. That's what I meant. Regardless of Google's support for flash, Google doesn't require Adobe to live.

MuffinMan8869

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
Let me re-phrase Apple's Products - Laptops, Desktops, tablet PCs (iPad), music players, telephones

60% of those 5 core products don't support flash. That's what I meant. Regardless of Google's support for flash, Google doesn't require Adobe to live.

wut?

the only thing they make that should support flash, does. Their computers.

ive never heard anyone pick up a walkman and curse it for not playing flash.

bingstudent
I am an idiot!

Quote:
There are quality paid apps on both platforms. Might want to borrow someone's iPhone/iPod and have a look if you think the App Store is 200,000 copies of iFart. Flight Control, Hipstamatic, Gascubby, Convertbot, ESPN Scorecenter... those are apps I've been very impressed with, off the top of my head. And they're all exclusive to iPhone, last time I checked.

flight control is on android

hipstamatic seems like a cool app, don't know if any comparable app exists on android, I haven't explored the camera apps yet but there are a bunch.

for gascubby on android use aCar.

convertbot ... there are like 30 unit conversion apps on android, just play w/ them til you fine one you want.

I never used the ESPN iphone app but Live Scores or Sports Tap on android do the job fine.

bingstudent
I am an idiot!

Quote:
Apple service is a million times better than any of the PC brands--there's absolutely no comparison.

I really think dell crushes apple in terms of service but I'm also a corporate customer so YMMV.

bingstudent
I am an idiot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbaker View Post
I gotta say this Apple vs Adobe argument is amazing. Without Adobe Apple has nothing, let me say that again NOTHING on pc. My point in the original post is a far larger issue than most of you comprehend.

Adobe pulls it's products from the mac lineup that whole retarded argument about picture/video editing being better on Mac that so many people cling to will be over. Apple is digging it's own desktop grave with this one. I could care less about the mobile market.

Yeah this is a legit angle, I mean FCP is a powerful suite but it would be pretty worthless without the strong work done by adobe to integrate CS. Steve is a renegade though.

MuffinMan8869

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
To a point, it does, but it doesn't explain why Apple decides to solder in batteries on iPod Nanos once people found out how to crack them open and do them themselves. You can have asthetics and modularity together.

agreed.

Quote:
Yes, I understand Apple's logic behind it, but it's still reminiscent of Microsoft of the early 90s, which is why they're possibly going to get sued over it!
i think this one is up to debate, with the emergence of the android and a few other smart phone companies maybe we will see this erode. In my opinion, competition is good, so lets hope apple doesn't get a dominance.

Quote:
Well LG has a phone with a slide out keyboard. Why can't Apple do that? It would look pretty much the same, maybe would be marginally thicker but not much else. It would be much better in my opinion.
Maybe they will, maybe they won't. I still content that the addition of a physical keyboard would be against apples "so simple a retard can use it" philosophy, but i agree, they can do it and still make it look good. I would be interested in one with a keyboard, but I'm am sure there are people in the other camp as well. I was disappointed to find out the ipad didn't have one, i was hoping for something similar to a PC tablet, instead they shipped a large ipod.

Quote:
Ah, interesting. See I've always perceived Japan as an "evolutionary" culture, where people always want the next thing no matter what, whereas in North America they wait for the next "revolution", or the next BIG thing. Japan almost looked to be a testing ground for a lot of new tech toys, so I'm surprised the gap has closed.
That reputation was well earned in the 80s and 90s. I think the video game console market is a great way to show the difference. IN the 80s the famicon came out in 82 in japan, 85 in the states. Thats 3 years, now the ps3 comes out a month before? Its the global market. Japan is also losing its edge when it comes to tech innovation because of an emerging south korean market (if you wanna see some cool phones, go to SK), China, and a more connected Europe and States. Right now if i were to describe the Japanese tech industry i would say that it is a few years ahead in quality, but very far behind in innovation.

For examples, most japanese TV's now are shipping with HD recorders built in, in a nice package and for not that much. However, the idea of HD recorders for television didn't really get its start until the states did Tivo etc. Or my phone for example, not very innovative, but its smaller than a lot of American phones with a nicer camera, tv tuner, internet 3g and a full keyboard.

my 2yen

bingstudent
I am an idiot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
But you can't use 3G on another network in the USA if you jailbreak? That seems odd to me since the capabilities of the phone are presumably no less, and AT&T is not the only 3G network.

Can you find any info on the web explaining how to use 3G on other networks? Everything I've turned up seems to indicate you're stuck on nothing but edge if you jailbreak and leave AT&T.

T-mobile specifically uses different 3G bands than AT&T so you definitely can't do it on their network, I dunno about sprint.

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
I really think dell crushes apple in terms of service but I'm also a corporate customer so YMMV.

Dell got raped by NY AG for lack of service and runarounds not many years ago.

I used to be an outsourced tech for Dell and Toshiba product. CPP support. It was pretty slipshod then with clueless script readers and thats before they went dot head land.

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan8869 View Post
wut?

the only thing they make that should support flash, does. Their computers.

ive never heard anyone pick up a walkman and curse it for not playing flash.

If they make their walkman (in this case the iPod) be able to access the Internet, then it should support flash. The only things that should support flash (espescially if they're backing heavily on Adobe products) is anything they allow to connect to the Internet. (which were all 5 of the products I mentioned)

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
Dell got raped by NY AG for lack of service and runarounds not many years ago.

I used to be an outsourced tech for Dell and Toshiba product. CPP support. It was pretty slipshod then with clueless script readers and thats before they went dot head land.

Completely different when you're a corporate customer. I call in, I tell them what they need, I provide them the proof they need to notate on their ticket, I have a part the next morning.

This also works when you buy your personal laptop through their small business site.

ricalo suarvalez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayd View Post
http://www.apple.com/support/

manuals, tech specs, forums, genius bar reservation? (LOL). in short, if it's broke get out your wallet.

http://support.microsoft.com/

thousands upon thousands of pages of documentation.

what happens when it just (doesn't) work?

you go to the apple knowledge base.

just because you don't know about something doesn't mean it's not there.

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricalo suarvalez View Post
you go to the apple knowledge base.

just because you don't know about something doesn't mean it's not there.

Their knowledgebase is worthless.

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
i think this one is up to debate, with the emergence of the android and a few other smart phone companies maybe we will see this erode. In my opinion, competition is good, so lets hope apple doesn't get a dominance.

Well if you think about it, Apple's done up a system where they have complete control over what goes on their devices, and they're using that to restrict certain players from getting on to a device popular with the consumer (Adobe, Google). That's anti-competitive. Actually, it's worse than what Microsoft was doing, because Microsoft never restricted my options, they just included software. If the EU can sue MS over Internet Explorer, I don't see why they wont sue Apple. At least I can use another browser on Windows!

Quote:
Maybe they will, maybe they won't. I still content that the addition of a physical keyboard would be against apples "so simple a retard can use it" philosophy, but i agree, they can do it and still make it look good. I would be interested in one with a keyboard, but I'm am sure there are people in the other camp as well. I was disappointed to find out the ipad didn't have one, i was hoping for something similar to a PC tablet, instead they shipped a large ipod.

Aye. Well, in the iPad's case, they're probably using the same logic, but also the "hey, they can pay for a peripheral if we don't!" logic. The best tablet designs are still the Toshiba or Lenovo style, where they have a laptop but you can twist the screen around and use it as, well, an iPad, only unlike the iPad they don't suck complete shit.

Quote:
That reputation was well earned in the 80s and 90s. I think the video game console market is a great way to show the difference. IN the 80s the famicon came out in 82 in japan, 85 in the states. Thats 3 years, now the ps3 comes out a month before? Its the global market. Japan is also losing its edge when it comes to tech innovation because of an emerging south korean market (if you wanna see some cool phones, go to SK), China, and a more connected Europe and States. Right now if i were to describe the Japanese tech industry i would say that it is a few years ahead in quality, but very far behind in innovation.

Good call! (see what I did there?)

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Can you find any info on the web explaining how to use 3G on other networks? Everything I've turned up seems to indicate you're stuck on nothing but edge if you jailbreak and leave AT&T.

T-mobile specifically uses different 3G bands than AT&T so you definitely can't do it on their network, I dunno about sprint.

They sell them in Canada on multiple carriers (Rogers, Telus, Bell) and you're able to get 3G on all of them. Logic would dictate if you're able to use multiple networks in one country, there should be a way to do it in others, unless as you said it's set for one frequency and all those networks are using different ones.

By the sounds of it you're right, I'm just saying I'm surprised to hear that that's the case!