General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Mixomatosys
Cool Kid
 
Mixomatosys's Avatar
 
i'll just leave this here

Quote:
from engadget's hands-on with android 2.2 froyo:

We have to say, it's really something to have a mobile browser that doesn't pop up little cubes with question marks all over the web, but we found that rediscovering Flash was much like reuniting with a high school friend; at first you've so much to catch up on, but then you realize how far you've grown apart. Adobe's pre-vetted list of Flash-enabled sites do a good job of showing off the technology, but we still can't help but think the interactive elements still have a lot of catching up to do. As for video, the stream is good quality but gets fairly choppy -- especially when you check out something "not optimized for mobile viewing." Some of the HTML5 footage we've seen via the same device shows up in crisper detail and fluidity. Battery and heat are also of concern: the pre-release beta we have, according to Adobe, lacks hardware acceleration. Ergo, our beloved handset got piping hot after about 30 minutes of heavy video watching, and the battery indicator in the upper right had a sizable dent.
even if there was hardware acceleration.. i'm sure it's still going to be a HUGE battery waster.
__________________
red wire: right temple
black wire: left temple
Old 05-21-2010, 12:59 PM Mixomatosys is offline  
Reply With Quote
#181  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

MuffinMan8869
 
here is a question.

Does anyone actually like flash? I fuckin hate the damn thing, and having to install it on my windows machine, which made me install Adobe Download Manager (horseshit) and a whole bunch of shit asking me if i want to sign up for Adobe this and Adobe That.




The sooner Flash dies, the better we all will be, if apple saying "Fuck you" hastens the death of flash, im ok with that
__________________
http://wrfl.fm/
Old 05-23-2010, 04:55 PM MuffinMan8869 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#182  

Mixomatosys
Cool Kid
 
Mixomatosys's Avatar
 
i'll just leave this here too:

http://gizmodo.com/5546439/speed-tes...-significantly

all these adobe fanboys that were ripping on mac for not supporting flash.. did you realize that maybe adobe was pushing this battle so hard is because they know their product is dying?
__________________
red wire: right temple
black wire: left temple
Old 05-24-2010, 12:14 PM Mixomatosys is offline  
Reply With Quote
#183  

AnasSplenium
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan8869 View Post
here is a question.

Does anyone actually like flash? I fuckin hate the damn thing, and having to install it on my windows machine, which made me install Adobe Download Manager (horseshit) and a whole bunch of shit asking me if i want to sign up for Adobe this and Adobe That.




The sooner Flash dies, the better we all will be, if apple saying "Fuck you" hastens the death of flash, im ok with that

Yeah... that's nothing like the apple download manager that demands I install quicktime and offers me safari every goddamn time there's an itunes update
__________________
Omaha [M] Club
Old 05-24-2010, 07:45 PM AnasSplenium is offline  
Reply With Quote
#184  

MuffinMan8869
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnasSplenium View Post
Yeah... that's nothing like the apple download manager that demands I install quicktime and offers me safari every goddamn time there's an itunes update

luckilly on mac i don't have to deal with that. On windows i just don't install quicktime,itunes or safari because they all suck
__________________
http://wrfl.fm/
Old 05-24-2010, 07:52 PM MuffinMan8869 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#185  

Runding
 
Runding's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan8869 View Post
luckilly on mac i don't have to deal with that. On windows i just don't install quicktime,itunes or safari because they all suck

I think you missed his point.
__________________
aa1ce3c1c9744c586fa4d28e62ff485b
Old 05-24-2010, 08:16 PM Runding is offline  
Reply With Quote
#186  

MuffinMan8869
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runding View Post
I think you missed his point.

No i got it.
however you are still missing one thing, quicktime is no where as important to have on a system as flash. I was talking about flash and how much it sucks (not defending apple, as you can tell i think the same thing is when apple does it)

but again, the biggest difference is this...
I honestly cant remember the last time i NEEDED quicktime. safari and itunes are not needed on any system, flash however is needed, until they can roll out HTML5. Quicktime was dumped long ago and is used only by apple now as far as i can tell. Flash is used by Youtube and a whole bunch of other websites.
__________________
http://wrfl.fm/
Old 05-24-2010, 08:26 PM MuffinMan8869 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#187  

Ralph
 
Regardless of how much you hate Flash or Windows or any of the other shit people argue about, Apple is undoubtedly the most evil and manipulative company in the industry. They hinder Flash performance by disabling GPU access, then they run around pointing to its CPU utilization as evidence that Flash is a resource hog... the public eats this shit up because they're too stupid to know wtf is going on behind the scenes.

They're like China -- if you don't like their way of doing things you can go fuck yourself. Or, better yet, they'll gladly come knock down your door and do it for you. And iTunes? Hotel California of software: you can check out but you can never leave. Have you ever tried to transfer your music to a device that isn't made by Apple? Thank god people developed software specifically for that, because Apple makes it as difficult as they possibly can without violating every fair use copyright law.

Everything they develop is a step backwards in terms of compatibility, openness and customization. If anything happens to Google, we're all fucked... but right now it looks like they're the one thing holding Apple back from controlling every aspect of computing and media distribution.
__________________
The above post is an explicit representation of the views and opinions of CrowdGather. We at CrowdGather also support all medical advice contained herein and do recommend "trying it at home."
Old 05-25-2010, 12:53 PM Ralph is offline  
Reply With Quote
#188  

Xayd
 
i think you're giving them too much credit. you can buy as much music on amazon as you can on itunes. since they're now third in phone sales even the market for mobile devices is slipping away. people won't be hemmed into itunes when they stop using an iphone, they'll go somewhere else.

i don't think this market share allows them to dictate much.

companies built on marketing rarely last that long, eventually people are lured away by the mousetrap that is in fact, better.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:33 PM Xayd is offline  
Reply With Quote
#189  

iBran
 
iBran's Avatar
 
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayd View Post
i think you're giving them too much credit. you can buy as much music on amazon as you can on itunes. since they're now third in phone sales even the market for mobile devices is slipping away. people won't be hemmed into itunes when they stop using an iphone, they'll go somewhere else.

i don't think this market share allows them to dictate much.

companies built on marketing rarely last that long, eventually people are lured away by the mousetrap that is in fact, better.

Apple is "slipping away" to third place in sales? I love this "sky is falling" crap about sales... uh, ever heard of Symbian, which is still beating RIM, iPhone, and Android combined? But that's not the point, anyway.

This is the point: Let's say I'm a developer and I want to choose a platform to make apps for. Since Nokia Ovi is essentially still in its infancy, I'm gonna discount that one right away. Shame, because it's got the potential to be deployed to a LOT of phones. Anyway, that leaves us with the other "big guys"--RIM, iPhone, and Android.

There's RIM, whose users don't even browse the web, considering their huge device marketshare. Can't see much point in developing for an un-savvy audience.

There's iPhone, which has stupid but documented rules about what can and can't be put on the App Store. Costs $100 to join dev program, which is lame. But other than that, I can't see a downside. There's 3 devices of which the hardware has hardly changed, and millions of users running the most current OS on said devices. Makes deployment (and testing) a piece of cake.

Then, there's Android, which is "open" and "free", but still has fewer users*, and then you have to divide that number by 3 if you're going to write apps using the most current SDK. Fragmentation (or "legacy" support as Rubin wants to call it) is alive and well on Android, and it sucks for developers AND users. For me as a user, it means I can't run the latest apps without installing a hacked OS on my phone. For developers, it means Android has only a small fraction of potential customers.

That's why developers put up with Apple's crap and choose iPhone. That's where the money is for developers, and that's where the innovation is for users. That's why there are 200,000+ apps on iPhone, that's why iPhone gets apps first, that's why iPhone is a success, and that's why I'm a dissatisfied Android user. At this point I'd rather replace my G1 with one of those used iPhones that will be flooding eBay when the new one comes out in June. Fuck the Nexus One, fuck HTC + Google for screwing and abandoning the customers that gave their platform a chance at the beginning.

*I'm having trouble finding recent smartphone OS usage numbers. All of the recent news has been about device sales which obviously does not account for existing users. I know Android has recently taken over device sales in the US, but until this most recent quarter iPhone has been beating Android since, well, 2007.
__________________
Two scoops of :cool:
Old 05-25-2010, 05:01 PM iBran is offline  
Reply With Quote
#190  

Xayd
 
don't forget that only recently has RIM pitched phones to the general public, a huge number of their users are corporate, who are just using the phones for mobile mail and pushing documents, none of which requires a web browser. corporations probably don't see the cost benefit in buying iFart for their mobile phone users, for whatever reason.

the post i was replying to suggested apple being able to control computer/phone development. so that's the point, apple with less than 10% of the desktop market and with barely more than 10% of the phone market, is not dictating the future to anyone.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:15 AM Xayd is offline  
Reply With Quote
#191  

iBran
 
iBran's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayd View Post
so that's the point, apple with less than 10% of the desktop market and with barely more than 10% of the phone market, is not dictating the future to anyone.

Yeah, Apple, with their 10% of the desktop market and 10% of the mobile market, is really hurting. Seriously, if you don't think Apple has enough power to shape the future of computing (at least for the consumer world), you've got to be in denial. And I'm not saying this as some assclown Apple fanboy--I'm saying this because that's what the sales numbers show and because Apple is already doing it. iPads are outselling Macs.

As desktops and even laptops get retried, the new "personal computers" are going to run operating systems like iPhone and Android, not OS X and Windows. Apple's going head-on in to this new market. Google's sorta there, although it remains to be seen how Chromium is going to play along with Android... not that they can't co-exist, of course. And Microsoft? They must be pissing themselves if they think they're going to have a slice of this market.

About the only thing Microsoft could do right is timing, because I do think a lot of this "mobile revolution" is still in its early adoption phase... the mass consumer market isn't quite ready to give up their trusty old Windows XP machines which run Solitaire and Internet Explorer 6 "just fine". Give it a year, we'll see what happens. Apple did get a pretty big head start.
__________________
Two scoops of :cool:
Old 05-26-2010, 06:18 PM iBran is offline  
Reply With Quote
#192  

RazorWind
 
RazorWind's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBran View Post
Yeah, Apple, with their 10% of the desktop market and 10% of the mobile market, is really hurting. Seriously, if you don't think Apple has enough power to shape the future of computing (at least for the consumer world), you've got to be in denial. And I'm not saying this as some assclown Apple fanboy--I'm saying this because that's what the sales numbers show and because Apple is already doing it. iPads are outselling Macs.

As desktops and even laptops get retried, the new "personal computers" are going to run operating systems like iPhone and Android, not OS X and Windows. Apple's going head-on in to this new market. Google's sorta there, although it remains to be seen how Chromium is going to play along with Android... not that they can't co-exist, of course. And Microsoft? They must be pissing themselves if they think they're going to have a slice of this market.

About the only thing Microsoft could do right is timing, because I do think a lot of this "mobile revolution" is still in its early adoption phase... the mass consumer market isn't quite ready to give up their trusty old Windows XP machines which run Solitaire and Internet Explorer 6 "just fine". Give it a year, we'll see what happens. Apple did get a pretty big head start.

The reason that the iPad does so well is more about its form factor, though. I have a feeling that as long as it did roughly the same things, it would still sell as well if it had OSX on it. If microsoft can create a version of Windows 7 that will run OK on tablet type hardware, I see no reason they couldn't claim a HUGE chunk of that market, especially since a lot of their customers already own tons of software that ought to run on that.

What I see as the future is not the iPad specifically, but just something that looks like it.

Edit: Also, for a lot of higher end computing tasks, there's no way in the god damned hell that something like the iPad will be good enough in the next five years. That form factor does certain things really well, but getting the work of a creative professional or a scientist done, speaking very generally, is not among them.
__________________
90f54f9cfb4106d1ef0e6a82e53f14
Old 05-27-2010, 06:46 AM RazorWind is offline  
Reply With Quote
#193  

Runding
 
Runding's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBran View Post
Yeah, Apple, with their 10% of the desktop market and 10% of the mobile market, is really hurting. Seriously, if you don't think Apple has enough power to shape the future of computing (at least for the consumer world), you've got to be in denial. And I'm not saying this as some assclown Apple fanboy--I'm saying this because that's what the sales numbers show and because Apple is already doing it. iPads are outselling Macs.

As desktops and even laptops get retried, the new "personal computers" are going to run operating systems like iPhone and Android, not OS X and Windows. Apple's going head-on in to this new market. Google's sorta there, although it remains to be seen how Chromium is going to play along with Android... not that they can't co-exist, of course. And Microsoft? They must be pissing themselves if they think they're going to have a slice of this market.

About the only thing Microsoft could do right is timing, because I do think a lot of this "mobile revolution" is still in its early adoption phase... the mass consumer market isn't quite ready to give up their trusty old Windows XP machines which run Solitaire and Internet Explorer 6 "just fine". Give it a year, we'll see what happens. Apple did get a pretty big head start.

You're right. It's so dead that Microsoft is making no monayz at all. They should be peeing their pants that Apple has such a huge marketshare, amirite guyz? Funny thing is, I don't think Apple fanboi's realize how many people have, and will continue to buy Microsoft products because the media only really pays attention to Apple's sales.

Ever think of why the iPad outsells iMacs? It's because people don't like OS X. However, the future is not in iPhone style OS's because it isn't a viable option for anyone who really wants to get a buttload of work done. As stated previously, it sells because of form factor. Throw Windows 7 on the iPad and then you'll see some crazy sales.
__________________
aa1ce3c1c9744c586fa4d28e62ff485b
Old 05-27-2010, 11:31 AM Runding is offline  
Reply With Quote
#194  

iBran
 
iBran's Avatar
 
Form factor? Huh? Haven't Windows-based tablets been around for almost 10 years now? Guess they were such an amazing success, they've... already been forgotten.

So, no. It's all about the software.

What are you going to do with Windows 7 on a tablet? Use your fat fingers to select a sentence and center-align in Word? Pick a brush from one of those tiny palettes in Photoshop? Run a virus scan with Norton and watch your battery drain?

...that's why tablets need a tablet OS. Even HP doesn't think Microsoft is up to making one.
__________________
Two scoops of :cool:
Old 05-27-2010, 12:41 PM iBran is offline  
Reply With Quote
#195  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:36 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.