General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

[Entropy]

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBran View Post
Form factor? Huh? Haven't Windows-based tablets been around for almost 10 years now? Guess they were such an amazing success, they've... already been forgotten.

So, no. It's all about the software.

What are you going to do with Windows 7 on a tablet? Use your fat fingers to select a sentence and center-align in Word? Pick a brush from one of those tiny palettes in Photoshop? Run a virus scan with Norton and watch your battery drain?

...that's why tablets need a tablet OS. Even HP doesn't think Microsoft is up to making one.

What are you gonna do with your iPad? Browse the web? Download iFart? Save documents that you're working -- oh wait, you can't. Its a gimmick, and retarded Apple Fanbois like you are the reason its selling well.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

iBran

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Entropy] View Post
What are you gonna do with your iPad? Browse the web? Download iFart? Save documents that you're working -- oh wait, you can't. Its a gimmick, and retarded Apple Fanbois like you are the reason its selling well.

Yes, people are going to browse the web with the iPad, because that's everything they're doing these days. Why is Google so actively going after cloud-based technology? Their bloody OS is a browser!

And I don't know how many times you've referenced this so-called "iFart" app, but you're beating a non-existent horse. I've never seen this app (or anything like it) on my friends' iPhones, nor do I have anything like it on my Android phone. Since this seems to be your only go-to--and it's completely irrelevant--GTFO or bring a better argument to the table. Stupid, pointless apps exist on EVERY platform. Doesn't mean anything about the platform itself. Guess what? iPad/iPhone has thousands of awesome apps. Guess what? Android does too! (well, more like hundreds.)

Now, regarding iPads/tablet devices, we're talking about the consumer world. Read the thread and keep up, thanks. Of course people doing real, actual work with their desktop/laptop aren't going to give it all up for a gimped tablet or netbook... at least not until there's apps useful enough convince them. I'm sure we'll see a bunch of productivity apps over the next year. iPad's already sold 1M+, and how many Android tablets are in line to be released this year? Dell alone is supposedly going to have three by the end of the year.

Actually, on that note--if presentations and flowcharts/diagramming are your line of work, an iPad with Keynote and OmniGraffle already looks rather intriguing.

[Entropy]

Quote:
Yes, people are going to browse the web with the iPad, because that's everything they're doing these days. Why is Google so actively going after cloud-based technology? Their bloody OS is a browser!

And I don't know how many times you've referenced this so-called "iFart" app, but you're beating a non-existent horse. I've never seen this app (or anything like it) on my friends' iPhones, nor do I have anything like it on my Android phone. Since this seems to be your only go-to--and it's completely irrelevant--GTFO or bring a better argument to the table. Stupid, pointless apps exist on EVERY platform. Doesn't mean anything about the platform itself. Guess what? iPad/iPhone has thousands of awesome apps. Guess what? Android does too! (well, more like hundreds.)

Now, regarding iPads/tablet devices, we're talking about the consumer world. Read the thread and keep up, thanks. Of course people doing real, actual work with their desktop/laptop aren't going to give it all up for a gimped tablet or netbook... at least not until there's apps useful enough convince them. I'm sure we'll see a bunch of productivity apps over the next year. iPad's already sold 1M+, and how many Android tablets are in line to be released this year? Dell alone is supposedly going to have three by the end of the year.

Actually, on that note--if presentations and flowcharts/diagramming are your line of work, an iPad with Keynote and OmniGraffle already looks rather intriguing.

So -- anyone who is going to do anything remotely productive with their computer, will buy a real computer, and the rest will use their gimmicks to browse the web, right?

HEIL STEVE JOBS RIGHT? Can't actually believe I'm trying to argue with somebody named "iBran". Get Steve Jobs' iCock out of your iAss, you i

edit: Asking the one iPhone user in my class right now, guess what.. he has iFart.

edit2: my bad, its Atomic Fart. Sorry.

MuffinMan8869

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runding View Post
It's because people don't like OS X. .

where did you pull this from? Everyone i know who uses a mac loves, and i mean loves OSX. i know very few people who use windows who love windows, Hell most people who use windows 7 and "love it" say they love it like this.

Me: why do you love windows 7
Them : Its not as fucked as windows vista.
Me: so ... you love it because, its not vista?
Them : Yea. vista sucked ass. 7 still annoys me a bit, but its better than vista. I like to think of it as having a finger shoved up your ass instead of a whole fist, id rather nothing up there, but a finger is better than a fist.

Fuck, i use both OSX and Windows on a daily basis, when it comes to the OS, i would take OSX hands down any day, sadly not all the programs i want run on osx, and i couldn't afford a brand new macbook pro. so i am stuck with windows 7 on my second laptop.

iBran

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Entropy] View Post
Can't actually believe I'm trying to argue with somebody named "iBran". Get Steve Jobs' iCock out of your iAss, you i

edit: Asking the one iPhone user in my class right now, guess what.. he has iFart.

ifaggot? Nice. Can't believe I'm trying to argue with a 13-year-old.

And yeah, it's a sarcastic parody of iProducts. Whooooooooosh, guess that went right over your head.

Mooninites

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan8869 View Post
where did you pull this from? Everyone i know who uses a mac loves, and i mean loves OSX. i know very few people who use windows who love windows, Hell most people who use windows 7 and "love it" say they love it like this.

Me: why do you love windows 7
Them : Its not as fucked as windows vista.
Me: so ... you love it because, its not vista?
Them : Yea. vista sucked ass. 7 still annoys me a bit, but its better than vista. I like to think of it as having a finger shoved up your ass instead of a whole fist, id rather nothing up there, but a finger is better than a fist.

Fuck, i use both OSX and Windows on a daily basis, when it comes to the OS, i would take OSX hands down any day, sadly not all the programs i want run on osx, and i couldn't afford a brand new macbook pro. so i am stuck with windows 7 on my second laptop.

I love Windows 7. It's my favorite windows OS since XP and works much better than anything else I've used on my PC.

[Entropy]

Quote:
ifaggot? Nice. Can't believe I'm trying to argue with a 13-year-old.

And yeah, it's a sarcastic parody of iProducts. Whooooooooosh, guess that went right over your head.

Can't understand you with all that iCock in your mouth

MuffinMan8869

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooninites View Post
I love Windows 7. It's my favorite windows OS since XP and works much better than anything else I've used on my PC.

so you are saying its your favorite windows since xp.... how many windows have there been since xp? 2?

thats not great numbers there. also, have you used anything besides windows? Don't get me wrong, i agree , windows 7 is a good windows... but its like comparing the peanuts in the shit.

im sure a few of them are tastier than the others, but they all still taste like shit

Electrikfuzz050

Quote:
so you are saying its your favorite windows since xp.... how many windows have there been since xp? 2?

thats not great numbers there. also, have you used anything besides windows? Don't get me wrong, i agree , windows 7 is a good windows... but its like comparing the peanuts in the shit.

im sure a few of them are tastier than the others, but they all still taste like shit

OS X tastes like shit to me. You know why? My Windows 7 box runs Chrome and OpenOffice great, AND I can run games without having to run a VM.

Sure, OS X is great for some people, but acting like it's a better OS in every way is fucking

VapoRub

I love OSX. When I first got my Macbook, I bootcamped pretty often during the first month to avoid using it coz of how used I was to XP and having issues with Windows shortcuts but I eventually shifted almost exclusively to OSX for everything except Steam, and even these days I don't really have a good reason to go into Bootcamp.

When Windows 7 came out, I was pretty impressed. By that time, I had already learned to like Vista in its newer form (recalling how weird and annoying it was when it first came out) so there's a lot of pros with Windows 7, but I still prefer OSX from a user experience standpoint. I have nothing but praise for Windows 7, but I would add a few OSX features if I could. Unfortunately, Windows' own foundation is its problem as we still have pretty much the same issues we've always had and will continue to unless they're willing to start from scratch and forget support/compatibility for older products, but then what would be the point?

The thing I've noticed about Apple products in general is that they change your usage behavior (sometimes forcefully) in ways which people might be resistant to. Honestly, it's given me a lot of my time back in that I simply don't worry or have to put up with some inconveniences. Aside from entertainment and games, I used to think of using a PC as a hobby (keeping up with hardware/software/hacks/features knowledge), whereas now I'm more about productivity and only have general knowledge about specs as a consumer. If you don't revolutionize how you use technology, you're just destined to approach tech as someone who wants specs to be faster, have more storage, and use older interfaces until those specs don't even matter.

Man I'd love to see personal computers become inhalable nanomachines or just completely ubiquitous. Getting the OSX dashboard all the time in real life would be awesome for translations, dictionary definitions, calculator and conversions. Price checks/comparisons. etc...

MuffinMan8869

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrikfuzz050 View Post
OS X tastes like shit to me. You know why? My Windows 7 box runs Chrome and OpenOffice great, AND I can run games without having to run a VM.

Sure, OS X is great for some people, but acting like it's a better OS in every way is fucking

except osx does all that as well, except for the games. But lets face it, PC gaming is dieing hardcore. I am not saying OSX does everything better than windows, But I have never heard the original statement of

"everyone hates OSX"

i usually hear more praise for the operating system than disdain. Windows on the other hand, i usually hear people curse its name more than praise it, with that said. I like windows 7, except for the new control panel and the continued use of shit like the registry, as far as windows goes its pretty decent.

ugh, but without a clean refresh shit that was annoying in windows 95 is still going to be around. Windows NEEDS to bite the bullet and start fresh, imho

Coqui

Quote:

This is what I just heard from you based off of this part

Me: why do you love OS X
Them : Its not as fucked as windows.
Me: so ... you love it because, its not Windows?
Them : Yea. Windows sucks ass. OS X still annoys me a bit, but its better than Windows. I like to think of it as having a finger shoved up your ass instead of a whole fist, id rather nothing up there, but a finger is better than a fist.

Electrikfuzz050

Quote:
except osx does all that as well, except for the games. But lets face it, PC gaming is dieing hardcore.

Most operating systems run word processing programs and browsers just fine. That doesn't make them special.

And PC gaming is dying? Says who?

Your entire argument is based off of anecdotal evidence and it seems you have a pretty strong confirmation bias.

Forever Domon

Quote:
Most operating systems run word processing programs and browsers just fine. That doesn't make them special.

Your entire argument is based off of anecdotal evidence and it seems you have a pretty strong confirmation bias.
his evidence is based on him being a mac user.

Coqui

Quote:

He's doing the same argument that justifies that Hondas are easier to steal because they're the most stolen car out there.

Or: Because more people are flocking to Steam and WoW, that they must not buy as many games.