General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Runding
 
Runding's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan8869 View Post
where did you pull this from? Everyone i know who uses a mac loves, and i mean loves OSX. i know very few people who use windows who love windows, Hell most people who use windows 7 and "love it" say they love it like this.
.

Just LOOK AT THE NUMBERS. If OS X was THAT great, their numbers would be far higher, don't you think? Or are you going to pull the "All the others must never have used OS X, because it makes me orgasm on bootup"

I can literally count 7 people on the fly that within the past 3 months I've recommended they NOT buy an Apple laptop, and yet they do. Every single customer has come back to me complaining and wishing they never bought that damned Apple.
__________________
aa1ce3c1c9744c586fa4d28e62ff485b
Old 05-28-2010, 08:48 AM Runding is offline  
Reply With Quote
#211  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

iBran
 
iBran's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runding View Post
Just LOOK AT THE NUMBERS. If OS X was THAT great, their numbers would be far higher, don't you think?

If Porsches were so great, their numbers would be far higher, don't you think?

Macs are expensive to get in to, there's no arguing that. Cheap goods always outsell expensive goods.
__________________
Two scoops of :cool:
Old 05-28-2010, 09:40 AM iBran is offline  
Reply With Quote
#212  

Runding
 
Runding's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBran View Post
If Porsches were so great, their numbers would be far higher, don't you think?

Macs are expensive to get in to, there's no arguing that. Cheap goods always outsell expensive goods.

Let's see:

Porsche: (We'll go cheap) Boxter - $50,000
Honda: (We'll go high end) Civic - $23,000

Thats funny, it's a $30,000 difference.

You can pick up the new Macbook, which is a great machine at $1,000. You know how much my Windows-based laptop cost, and it's on the semi-high end? $1,500.

Your argument is crap.
__________________
aa1ce3c1c9744c586fa4d28e62ff485b
Old 05-28-2010, 10:02 AM Runding is offline  
Reply With Quote
#213  

iBran
 
iBran's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runding View Post
Let's see:

Porsche: (We'll go cheap) Boxter - $50,000
Honda: (We'll go high end) Civic - $23,000

Thats funny, it's a $30,000 difference.

You can pick up the new Macbook, which is a great machine at $1,000. You know how much my Windows-based laptop cost, and it's on the semi-high end? $1,500.

Your argument is crap.

What point are you trying to make? That Windows-based computers can be expensive, too? Yeah, that's obvious. But those are not the PCs that consumers are buying at Wal-Mart, which are the ones that make up Windows' market share dominance.

When you say things like "Windows > Mac because Windows is more popular", there's a lot more going on than simple OS preference. A lot of it--and I bet most of it--comes down to upfront cost. What are the masses going to buy, a $499 Acer laptop or a $999 MacBook?
__________________
Two scoops of :cool:
Old 05-28-2010, 10:44 AM iBran is offline  
Reply With Quote
#214  

Coqui
 
Coqui's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBran View Post
What point are you trying to make? That Windows-based computers can be expensive, too? Yeah, that's obvious. But those are not the PCs that consumers are buying at Wal-Mart, which are the ones that make up Windows' market share dominance.

They had market dominance long before the econoboxes came to Walmart, etc.
__________________
I lack boobs and have a penis
Old 05-28-2010, 10:52 AM Coqui is offline  
Reply With Quote
#215  

Electrikfuzz050
 
Electrikfuzz050's Avatar
 
It should be pointed out here that comparing Macbooks to Windows based laptops concerning hardware is stupid. Saying Macs are better because they're better than some offbrand chinese laptop doesn't make them better than an Asus or Sony.

What I've seemed to notice is there ARE a lot of bloated, shitty Windows-based laptops, and I'd rather have a Macbook then one of those. However, if you get a good Windows laptop, they're equal or superior in a lot of ways.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:57 AM Electrikfuzz050 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#216  

VapoRub
 
VapoRub's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runding View Post
I can literally count 7 people on the fly that within the past 3 months I've recommended they NOT buy an Apple laptop, and yet they do. Every single customer has come back to me complaining and wishing they never bought that damned Apple.

3 months only? Regular people aren't going to reprogram themselves to get used to how different using a Mac is in only 3 months, not to mention being proactive enough to go into preferences and changing a few things to minimize complications from changing habits. Adopting a new OS is a commitment and anyone ignoring that is only arguing from their own backyard and making judgments based on the smaller picture. I can say I'd be infinitely more troubled if I was never able to use OSX again.

Oh man do I remember the days I used to hate on Mac yet never really took the time to get used to them. Even in highschool we had nothing by iMacs and I took nightschool courses just to take Computer Science on PCs. My first Mac purchase came down to me needing a laptop with a 1080p screen and it was between the Macbook Pro ($2700) and the VAIO AR (which was $4000). A Mac user tried to convince me to go Mac, and at first my preference was the AR because of the TV Tuner built into it as well as Blu Ray drive. Eventually I found out Macs had right-clicks and Bootcamp and I decided I was actually getting more capability by going that route, so I bought the aluminum beast and a copy of Windows Vista 64 (which runs better in Bootcamp than it does on other Laptops) and have been happy since.

In the two years since I switched to Mac, my computer worries have dropped by what feels like 90%. Even when I have to come across another person with regular PC programs I still get a little annoyed about what I had to deal with in the past. I don't have these issues anymore since I only use Windows for games now. Of course all the hardcore PC users can say is "You wouldn't have those problems if you knew what you were doing" well besides that being an ego stroke, the same goes for using a Mac and getting used to it. I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who knows both platforms well inside and out. The scope of my Mac experience is superior to my Windows experience and for that reason, I only use Windows for certain tasks when I have to. Few come to mind aside from games and 1 or 2 freeware programs, but it's a compromise I'm willing to make. That said, Mac's increasing support is giving me a lot less reasons to bootcamp or VM.
__________________
Rub a thick layer on chest and throat or rub on sore aching muscles. If desired, cover with a soft, dry cloth but keep clothing loose so vapors can reach nose and mouth.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:27 PM VapoRub is offline  
Reply With Quote
#217  

RazorWind
 
RazorWind's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrikfuzz050 View Post
It should be pointed out here that comparing Macbooks to Windows based laptops concerning hardware is stupid. Saying Macs are better because they're better than some offbrand chinese laptop doesn't make them better than an Asus or Sony.

What I've seemed to notice is there ARE a lot of bloated, shitty Windows-based laptops, and I'd rather have a Macbook then one of those. However, if you get a good Windows laptop, they're equal or superior in a lot of ways.

It's worth pointing out, at least IMO, that the enclosure of my 13" Macbook Pro is the sturdiest-feeling laptop I've ever seen (it's the current model). For those unaware, the casing is made out of CNC machined aluminum, which is then anodized the characteristic gray color. I can't recall having personally seen a PC laptop that was constructed this way, although there's obviously no reason at all that they couldn't be.

I bought the Macbook because I needed to use Xcode, but I've been impressed with the fit and finish of it.

Edit: The other neat little details that you don't really think about are pretty nice too, like the magnetic power connector, magnetic lid closure, and the rubber dust gasket around the screen. None of these things is a huge deal on its own, but whenever I use it, I find myself appreciating how pleasant they make it to interact with.
__________________
90f54f9cfb4106d1ef0e6a82e53f14

Last edited by RazorWind; 05-28-2010 at 01:29 PM..
Old 05-28-2010, 01:23 PM RazorWind is offline  
Reply With Quote
#218  

Mooninites
 
Mooninites's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan8869 View Post
so you are saying its your favorite windows since xp.... how many windows have there been since xp? 2?

thats not great numbers there. also, have you used anything besides windows? Don't get me wrong, i agree , windows 7 is a good windows... but its like comparing the peanuts in the shit.

im sure a few of them are tastier than the others, but they all still taste like shit

I have used various flavors of *nix in both a desktop and development environment. I use Easy Peasy on my netbook, and I have used OS9 and OSX.

I prefer Windows 7 for my gaming desktop, so I use it there. I like Windows 7 as an OS.

Edit: My point in saying what I did was simply so you couldn't say you've never heard of someone who likes Windows 7 on its own, as opposed to being "a pain, but still better than Vista"
__________________
Mooninites unite!

Last edited by Mooninites; 05-28-2010 at 10:07 PM..
Old 05-28-2010, 10:01 PM Mooninites is offline  
Reply With Quote
#219  

isugoat
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VapoRub View Post
In the two years since I switched to Mac, my computer worries have dropped by what feels like 90%. Even when I have to come across another person with regular PC programs I still get a little annoyed about what I had to deal with in the past.

could you be more ambiguous? what worries and issues? i use WinXP, OS X, and Win7 in Parallels extensively and I don't have any worries or issues save for the occasional beach ball of death.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:46 AM isugoat is offline  
Reply With Quote
#220  

VapoRub
 
VapoRub's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoat View Post
could you be more ambiguous? what worries and issues? i use WinXP, OS X, and Win7 in Parallels extensively and I don't have any worries or issues save for the occasional beach ball of death.

Yes, and I have to be. The specific cases of my PC experience (on actual varying hardware) isn't exactly something I want to use to drag out stem arguments. We all know where that goes. After all I'm comparing 13 years of PC usage with 2 years of Mac (in its prime).

People know there's plenty of problems with Windows, there's no reason to get into what he/she personally did right or wrong or who was to blame for it. Let's just acknowledge that many have had both unique and common worries/issues with security and hardware/software issues.

This just ends up with one guy saying he's had many computer problems while another person says he has a perfect experience, expecting that to cancel it out. And you gotta admit, that using virtualized hardware, supported by its vendors is a pretty unfair comparison.
__________________
Rub a thick layer on chest and throat or rub on sore aching muscles. If desired, cover with a soft, dry cloth but keep clothing loose so vapors can reach nose and mouth.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:11 PM VapoRub is offline  
Reply With Quote
#221  

lagomorph
 
lagomorph's Avatar
 
High resolution screen in a small laptop? The cheapest Macbook with 1650x1080 is the $2000 Pro variant. There's 5000 PC laptops with that resolution at $1000.
FUCK I LOVE COMING OUT ON TOP IN A BUSINESS TRANSACTION. SOMETHING YOU MACFAG COMMIES WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND.

Ditch macbook and you even have the option of buying a bare laptop chassis/mobo combo and assemble it with only the parts you want. You're not even obligated to buy an OS with these.
GODDAMN I LOVE FREEDOM. ASSEMBLE YOUR OWN LAPTOPS -- FUCKING HOME OF THE BRAVE.

Unix style focus-follows-mouse can make everyone a productivity god. It's so essential even Windows has it.
GUESS WHICH OS DOESN'T HAVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER.

Chiclet keys.
THAT SHIT IS SO GAY. EVEN THE NAME IS GAY.

Wait, your Macbook touchpad is centered about the screen rather than the home keys? I wonder what ergonomic reason is behind that design decision...
OH, THERE IS NO REASON. FUCK ERGONOMICS, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LOOK.

Hey, your 17 inch Macbook has 3 inches of bezel on each side of the keyboard. There's enough room for Home, Pgup, Pgdn, End, Ins, Del, plus a number pad, yet they're not there. What design principle is behind that?
OH IT'S THE "FUCK PRODUCTIVITY IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LOOK" DESIGN PRINCIPLE.

I will concede that magsafe is nice.
LIKE WHEN YOU HAVE AIDS BUT HAVE A BIG DICK.

TOO BAD YOU STILL HAVE AIDS.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:26 PM lagomorph is offline  
Reply With Quote
#222  

Electrikfuzz050
 
Electrikfuzz050's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagomorph View Post
High resolution screen in a small laptop? The cheapest Macbook with 1650x1080 is the $2000 Pro variant. There's 5000 PC laptops with that resolution at $1000.
FUCK I LOVE COMING OUT ON TOP IN A BUSINESS TRANSACTION. SOMETHING YOU MACFAG COMMIES WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND.

Ditch macbook and you even have the option of buying a bare laptop chassis/mobo combo and assemble it with only the parts you want. You're not even obligated to buy an OS with these.
GODDAMN I LOVE FREEDOM. ASSEMBLE YOUR OWN LAPTOPS -- FUCKING HOME OF THE BRAVE.

Unix style focus-follows-mouse can make everyone a productivity god. It's so essential even Windows has it.
GUESS WHICH OS DOESN'T HAVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER.

Chiclet keys.
THAT SHIT IS SO GAY. EVEN THE NAME IS GAY.

Wait, your Macbook touchpad is centered about the screen rather than the home keys? I wonder what ergonomic reason is behind that design decision...
OH, THERE IS NO REASON. FUCK ERGONOMICS, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LOOK.

Hey, your 17 inch Macbook has 3 inches of bezel on each side of the keyboard. There's enough room for Home, Pgup, Pgdn, End, Ins, Del, plus a number pad, yet they're not there. What design principle is behind that?
OH IT'S THE "FUCK PRODUCTIVITY IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LOOK" DESIGN PRINCIPLE.

I will concede that magsafe is nice.
LIKE WHEN YOU HAVE AIDS BUT HAVE A BIG DICK.

TOO BAD YOU STILL HAVE AIDS.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:27 PM Electrikfuzz050 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#223  

[Entropy]
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagomorph View Post
High resolution screen in a small laptop? The cheapest Macbook with 1650x1080 is the $2000 Pro variant. There's 5000 PC laptops with that resolution at $1000.
FUCK I LOVE COMING OUT ON TOP IN A BUSINESS TRANSACTION. SOMETHING YOU MACFAG COMMIES WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND.

Ditch macbook and you even have the option of buying a bare laptop chassis/mobo combo and assemble it with only the parts you want. You're not even obligated to buy an OS with these.
GODDAMN I LOVE FREEDOM. ASSEMBLE YOUR OWN LAPTOPS -- FUCKING HOME OF THE BRAVE.

Unix style focus-follows-mouse can make everyone a productivity god. It's so essential even Windows has it.
GUESS WHICH OS DOESN'T HAVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER.

Chiclet keys.
THAT SHIT IS SO GAY. EVEN THE NAME IS GAY.

Wait, your Macbook touchpad is centered about the screen rather than the home keys? I wonder what ergonomic reason is behind that design decision...
OH, THERE IS NO REASON. FUCK ERGONOMICS, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LOOK.

Hey, your 17 inch Macbook has 3 inches of bezel on each side of the keyboard. There's enough room for Home, Pgup, Pgdn, End, Ins, Del, plus a number pad, yet they're not there. What design principle is behind that?
OH IT'S THE "FUCK PRODUCTIVITY IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LOOK" DESIGN PRINCIPLE.

I will concede that magsafe is nice.
LIKE WHEN YOU HAVE AIDS BUT HAVE A BIG DICK.

TOO BAD YOU STILL HAVE AIDS.

Fucking A+ rant man, A+
__________________
Gen[M]ay [M]azda Club
Gen[M]ay Nikon DSLR Club
Old 05-29-2010, 08:11 PM [Entropy] is offline  
Reply With Quote
#224  

crumbaker
 
crumbaker's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagomorph View Post
High resolution screen in a small laptop? The cheapest Macbook with 1650x1080 is the $2000 Pro variant. There's 5000 PC laptops with that resolution at $1000.
FUCK I LOVE COMING OUT ON TOP IN A BUSINESS TRANSACTION. SOMETHING YOU MACFAG COMMIES WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND.

Ditch macbook and you even have the option of buying a bare laptop chassis/mobo combo and assemble it with only the parts you want. You're not even obligated to buy an OS with these.
GODDAMN I LOVE FREEDOM. ASSEMBLE YOUR OWN LAPTOPS -- FUCKING HOME OF THE BRAVE.

Unix style focus-follows-mouse can make everyone a productivity god. It's so essential even Windows has it.
GUESS WHICH OS DOESN'T HAVE IT, MOTHERFUCKER.

Chiclet keys.
THAT SHIT IS SO GAY. EVEN THE NAME IS GAY.

Wait, your Macbook touchpad is centered about the screen rather than the home keys? I wonder what ergonomic reason is behind that design decision...
OH, THERE IS NO REASON. FUCK ERGONOMICS, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LOOK.

Hey, your 17 inch Macbook has 3 inches of bezel on each side of the keyboard. There's enough room for Home, Pgup, Pgdn, End, Ins, Del, plus a number pad, yet they're not there. What design principle is behind that?
OH IT'S THE "FUCK PRODUCTIVITY IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LOOK" DESIGN PRINCIPLE.

I will concede that magsafe is nice.
LIKE WHEN YOU HAVE AIDS BUT HAVE A BIG DICK.

TOO BAD YOU STILL HAVE AIDS.


you are my hero, I don't hate macs because of what they are, I hate them because of what they try to be
Old 05-29-2010, 11:04 PM crumbaker is offline  
Reply With Quote
#225  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:00 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.