General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you
 
Vendetta's Avatar
 
Boy you seem really passionate about this, and it's weird. I use mac (imac and mbp) because I prefer mac OSX for general productivity (video and photo editing, internet/communication, etc) and I bootcamp with windows 7 to do my work (statistical analysis).

I prefer mac for its aesthetics and how it does everything I want to do except work, with which I go to windows. To me, it's also more stable and easier to work with. Over time, that's what I've come to value.

Oh yeah, and until 2 years ago, I used PCs that I built/bought my entire life
Old 05-01-2010, 09:00 AM Vendetta is offline  
Reply With Quote
#16  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

crumbaker
 
crumbaker's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Boy you seem really passionate about this, and it's weird. I use mac (imac and mbp) because I prefer mac OSX for general productivity (video and photo editing, internet/communication, etc) and I bootcamp with windows 7 to do my work (statistical analysis).

I prefer mac for its aesthetics and how it does everything I want to do except work, with which I go to windows. To me, it's also more stable and easier to work with. Over time, that's what I've come to value.

Oh yeah, and until 2 years ago, I used PCs that I built/bought my entire life

Mac for it's aesthetics eh? So you're basically admitting there you want people to see you with a pretty computer to match your pretty face, your pretty body, and pretty clothes. Why doesn't this surprise me coming from you?

Then you go on to say it does everything, immediately followed by the word except lol. Windows 7 is plenty stable as was vista and xp.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:36 AM crumbaker is offline  
Reply With Quote
#17  

Frenetic
 
Frenetic's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbaker View Post
Mac for it's aesthetics eh? So you're basically admitting there you want people to see you with a pretty computer to match your pretty face, your pretty body, and pretty clothes. Why doesn't this surprise me coming from you?

It's both funny and disconcerting that you make this post after your response to DigitalChaos' character attack and you don't see the irony.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:55 PM Frenetic is offline  
Reply With Quote
#18  

crumbaker
 
crumbaker's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
It's both funny and disconcerting that you make this post after your response to DigitalChaos' character attack and you don't see the irony.

I see no irony, everyone knows vendetta is adorable, but he's not gay, and I would never claim that.

Simply pointing out that I could understand that a man who puts more effort into the way he looks everyday, than any woman I've ever dated, would obviously be concerned about a way a computer looks on the outside.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:11 PM crumbaker is offline  
Reply With Quote
#19  

Frenetic
 
Frenetic's Avatar
 
Yeah you're not really helping your case here.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:52 PM Frenetic is offline  
Reply With Quote
#20  

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you
 
Vendetta's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbaker View Post
Mac for it's aesthetics eh? So you're basically admitting there you want people to see you with a pretty computer to match your pretty face, your pretty body, and pretty clothes. Why doesn't this surprise me coming from you?

Then you go on to say it does everything, immediately followed by the word except lol. Windows 7 is plenty stable as was vista and xp.

Come on man, we can have this debate without you trying to goad me with childish insults, otherwise this is going to be a really stupid thread. I like the build quality of macs. Here's why I chose to get a MBP, after having HP, Sony, and Lenovo laptops.

> The MBP has been the quietest laptop I've ever owned, really important to me
> The multitouch trackpad is, to me, amazing. I hate using a regular trackpad on other laptops now
> The build quality is strong and not plasticy like previous laptops, it feels more solid
> Yes, the laptop looks nicer than others I've used.


And as I said, the mac does everything I want for social, communication, and entertainment. The ONLY thing I really used a PC for was my statistical programs, and Steam. I don't game on computers much at all, but occasionally did with steam. Now it's coming to mac, no worries.

I chose the imac because:
> No clutter, and I tried the HP touchsmart all in one and thought it sucked
> Great screen, and gigantic
> Small form factor, it doesnt take up space. In a NYC apartment, that matters


Your argument that I only choose macs so "people see me with pretty things" is wrong. I don't take my mbp out of the apartment except when I'm vacationing, I don't need to (the only time it was ever taken out was when I was in class, I no longer am in school. I just use the laptop when I'm lounging around the house).

I also don't entertain many visitors to my apartment, and when I do it's certainly not because I want to show off my imac. Who cares about that?
Old 05-01-2010, 02:09 PM Vendetta is offline  
Reply With Quote
#21  

bennyb
 
I'm sorry but... what experience does the OP have with the Mac Os operating system other than his seemingly unconditional hate of everything Mac and anyone who uses them?
__________________
whut.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:09 PM bennyb is offline  
Reply With Quote
#22  

Drizzt
 
Drizzt's Avatar
 
i had to use a mac for like 4 hours every week for 4 months for school, absolutely hated it, it also crashed like 5 times, that's 5 more times than windows 7 has on me since it came out.

I dunno even after learning the OS and the shortcuts i found i was still way more productive on a PC.
__________________
MBON|gHub|LbYpavflKJ
59fce89076a3d2f5851e8c291f40e708

"Do not be afraid of the darkness, be afraid of what it hides"

- Drizzt Do'Urden

d53f78fef409408e2230f13db8ca19bb [pornmay.com]

b93149b95e0d7e32a815b7ae4e95c3d6
Old 05-01-2010, 03:35 PM Drizzt is offline  
Reply With Quote
#23  

2[H]4U
 
2[H]4U's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbaker View Post
I'm sick of hearing your stupid reasons for your religion, and yes it is a religion because you have to have some form of unreasonable faith to use a mac over a standard windows or linux based pc.

One of the common arguments that has always been false, was that adobe products work better on a mac, not only is this not true but Steve Jobs himself claims it's not true:
http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thought...terstitialskip

Now most of that article is talking about mobile devices, and flash in general, but he does point out that flash is the number one reason macs crash and that it was designed for pc's. Now you can claim that this is only flash but Steve Jobs also stated that they haven't made there products fully compliant with osx just until recently.

You people are full of shit, I can't recall ever having an adobe product crash on me. What say you now?

TSRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
Someone with Apple envy is much like a closeted gay.

You will see many closted gays bash open gays like crazy until they admit reality. They seem to think that if they spend lots of time and energy shouting to the world about how they hate gays it will make them not gay.

Take Roy Ashburn for instance: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_490297.html

Where does the stupidity stop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbaker View Post
Thank you, your posts here and in the ipad thread have made apple users look far worse than I could ever dream of.

TSRH
__________________
jelly?
Old 05-01-2010, 07:37 PM 2[H]4U is offline  
Reply With Quote
#24  

2[H]4U
 
2[H]4U's Avatar
 
Also, I always wondered.. you know how apple only makes those single button mice and in the mbp there's only one button and trackpad... if I was to install windows how would I right or left click?
__________________
jelly?
Old 05-01-2010, 07:45 PM 2[H]4U is offline  
Reply With Quote
#25  

Frenetic
 
Frenetic's Avatar
 
The Mac Mighty Mouse made that question irrelevant in 2005, but you can always hold the Control button and then click as well. You can also put in a regular USB mouse like a Kingston, and it will work fine.

Last edited by Frenetic; 05-01-2010 at 08:34 PM..
Old 05-01-2010, 08:04 PM Frenetic is offline  
Reply With Quote
#26  

Heathen-Yak
OMGDIE2U
 
Heathen-Yak's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Come on man, we can have this debate without you trying to goad me with childish insults, otherwise this is going to be a really stupid thread. I like the build quality of macs. Here's why I chose to get a MBP, after having HP, Sony, and Lenovo laptops.

> The MBP has been the quietest laptop I've ever owned, really important to me
> The multitouch trackpad is, to me, amazing. I hate using a regular trackpad on other laptops now
> The build quality is strong and not plasticy like previous laptops, it feels more solid
> Yes, the laptop looks nicer than others I've used.


And as I said, the mac does everything I want for social, communication, and entertainment. The ONLY thing I really used a PC for was my statistical programs, and Steam. I don't game on computers much at all, but occasionally did with steam. Now it's coming to mac, no worries.

I chose the imac because:
> No clutter, and I tried the HP touchsmart all in one and thought it sucked
> Great screen, and gigantic
> Small form factor, it doesnt take up space. In a NYC apartment, that matters


Your argument that I only choose macs so "people see me with pretty things" is wrong. I don't take my mbp out of the apartment except when I'm vacationing, I don't need to (the only time it was ever taken out was when I was in class, I no longer am in school. I just use the laptop when I'm lounging around the house).

I also don't entertain many visitors to my apartment, and when I do it's certainly not because I want to show off my imac. Who cares about that?

tsrh, I bought a macbook 3 months ago give or take. I bought the extended accidental damage warranty and I've dropped it twice already. Although neither time did it suffer any damage. The build quality is excellent, there's no creaking like you get with most laptops. The screen is gorgeous, it's the quietest laptop I've ever used even under load. The track pad gave me issues at first because I wasn't used to how large it actually is, but now I'm loving it, other track pads feel so small. Anything I can't do in osx I just use parallels for, once Steam comes out for the mac I'll remove parallels and call it good.

I don't have any experience with the imacs but I would consider one for my next computer, or a mac mini. I'm looking to down-size my living quarters.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:08 PM Heathen-Yak is offline  
Reply With Quote
#27  

RazorWind
 
RazorWind's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2[H]4U View Post
Also, I always wondered.. you know how apple only makes those single button mice and in the mbp there's only one button and trackpad... if I was to install windows how would I right or left click?

They actually don't have single button mice anymore. The ones that have an actual mouse have only one button action, but the surface of the mouse itself is a little mini trackpad that can sense which finger you're clicking with.

As for the ones with trackpads, OSX can register a two-fingered tap on the trackpad as a double click, but I think the trackpad itself has two buttons anyway. it just doesn't look like it has buttons at all.

I actually bought an MBP yesterday. I'm mostly a windows and linux man, but I wanted to try my hand at developing for the iPhone, so I bit the bullet. Having used it for a few hours now, I can kind of see the appeal. It feels more like using one integrated system as opposed to a series of separate programs that do different things. On the other hand, the laptop itself is rock solid physically, but OSX makes it feel more like a toy than a serious computer.

Edit: It IS really quiet. I'm not sure that it has a fan at all, which is either disconcerting, or really impressive. I guess it uses the housing as one big heatsink?
__________________
90f54f9cfb4106d1ef0e6a82e53f14
Old 05-01-2010, 09:23 PM RazorWind is offline  
Reply With Quote
#28  

DigitalChaos
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2[H]4U View Post
Also, I always wondered.. you know how apple only makes those single button mice and in the mbp there's only one button and trackpad... if I was to install windows how would I right or left click?
MACS SUCK SO MUCH
oh wait how do i use them?



durp durp durp
Old 05-01-2010, 09:35 PM DigitalChaos is offline  
Reply With Quote
#29  

DigitalChaos
 
typical windows tard ITT

i don't know what it is I hate but man do i hate it!
Old 05-01-2010, 09:35 PM DigitalChaos is offline  
Reply With Quote
#30  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:21 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.