General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you
 
Vendetta's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2[H]4U View Post
Also, I always wondered.. you know how apple only makes those single button mice and in the mbp there's only one button and trackpad... if I was to install windows how would I right or left click?

You know, for the longest time this is what really irked me about macs. I couldn't understand why this was. When I jumped over to mac, however, this was no longer an issue. On the mbps, the Windows bootcamp files have support for two finger right-click or location-right click support. So if I wanted to just tap the trackpad with two fingers I can get right click options (just like it is in OSX), or I can tap a certain part of the trackpad for right-click options.

Left click is just always the same, you can "click" the trackpad (the trackpad can depress) or just tap anywhere.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:50 AM Vendetta is offline  
Reply With Quote
#31  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

isugoat
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt View Post
i had to use a mac for like 4 hours every week for 4 months for school, absolutely hated it, it also crashed like 5 times, that's 5 more times than windows 7 has on me since it came out.

I dunno even after learning the OS and the shortcuts i found i was still way more productive on a PC.
in my experience, the stability argument has been dead in the water since XP SP2. i use Macs and PCs extensively at work (8-core i7 Mac, C2D PC) and home (Core Duo MBP, X2 3800+ PC) and I have waaaaay more problems with the Macs. usually not full blown OS crashes, but those damn beach balls that I can't force quit or kill.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
MACS SUCK SO MUCH
oh wait how do i use them?

durp durp durp
isn't that the same argument everyone uses against Windows? computer retards will have trouble no matter the platform.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:38 AM isugoat is offline  
Reply With Quote
#32  

2[H]4U
 
2[H]4U's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
MACS SUCK SO MUCH
oh wait how do i use them?



durp durp durp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
Someone with Apple envy is much like a closeted gay.

You will see many closted gays bash open gays like crazy until they admit reality. They seem to think that if they spend lots of time and energy shouting to the world about how they hate gays it will make them not gay.

Take Roy Ashburn for instance: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_490297.html


__________________
jelly?
Old 05-02-2010, 08:53 AM 2[H]4U is offline  
Reply With Quote
#33  

sir tex
 
sir tex's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Boy you seem really passionate about this, and it's weird. I use mac (imac and mbp) because I prefer mac OSX for general productivity (video and photo editing, internet/communication, etc) and I bootcamp with windows 7 to do my work (statistical analysis).

What program do you use for your analysis, and what do you do with it?
__________________
cd6e8ebb5168d8886a502892ceb7e346
Old 05-02-2010, 09:55 AM sir tex is offline  
Reply With Quote
#34  

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you
 
Vendetta's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir tex View Post
What program do you use for your analysis, and what do you do with it?

SAS, SPSS, STATA, AMOS, LISREL, HLM, and NVivo
All but nvivo are statistical analysis, nvivo is grounded theory qual analysis and mapping.
AMOS and LISREL are structural equation modeling programs
HLM is hierarchical linear modeling (MLM)
SPSS and STATA are fine for the mac, but the others are windows. So I just put them all on windows environments.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:26 AM Vendetta is offline  
Reply With Quote
#35  

sir tex
 
sir tex's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
SAS, SPSS, STATA, AMOS, LISREL, HLM, and NVivo
All but nvivo are statistical analysis, nvivo is grounded theory qual analysis and mapping.
AMOS and LISREL are structural equation modeling programs
HLM is hierarchical linear modeling (MLM)
SPSS and STATA are fine for the mac, but the others are windows. So I just put them all on windows environments.

ah, we use Stata in my Econometrics class (it's like going back to 1995!), and I get the feeling that it's not going to be the last time I use it in my life. I thought you were a teacher though, or you did analysis on learning?
__________________
cd6e8ebb5168d8886a502892ceb7e346
Old 05-02-2010, 10:56 AM sir tex is offline  
Reply With Quote
#36  

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you
 
Vendetta's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir tex View Post
ah, we use Stata in my Econometrics class (it's like going back to 1995!), and I get the feeling that it's not going to be the last time I use it in my life. I thought you were a teacher though, or you did analysis on learning?

Wat? My PhD is in quantitative research methodology, I'm finishing up my research in educational economics before moving on to be a research scientist. I used to teach, but that was 5 years ago Pretty much all my work is educational policy or quantitative research in education

If you think stata is bad (I like stata, though not as much as sas/spss), try R. Holy fuck, I'm on an R-help mailing list (and it's borked so I can't get OFF the list). The freaking thing is ridiculous, who would put that much effort to do analysis. They make me feel retarded.

edit:
If you meant teacher as in teaching high school, yeah that was years ago. If you meant teaching university, that was just 2 years ago when I taught research methodology
Old 05-02-2010, 11:03 AM Vendetta is offline  
Reply With Quote
#37  

crumbaker
 
crumbaker's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Wat? My PhD is in quantitative research methodology, I'm finishing up my research in educational economics before moving on to be a research scientist. I used to teach, but that was 5 years ago Pretty much all my work is educational policy or quantitative research in education

If you think stata is bad (I like stata, though not as much as sas/spss), try R. Holy fuck, I'm on an R-help mailing list (and it's borked so I can't get OFF the list). The freaking thing is ridiculous, who would put that much effort to do analysis. They make me feel retarded.

edit:
If you meant teacher as in teaching high school, yeah that was years ago. If you meant teaching university, that was just 2 years ago when I taught research methodology

I could have sworn you said you were becoming a teacher like a year ago, doesn't seem like 5 years ago, guess it was, shit I'm getting old
Old 05-02-2010, 11:52 AM crumbaker is offline  
Reply With Quote
#38  

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you
 
Vendetta's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbaker View Post
I could have sworn you said you were becoming a teacher like a year ago, doesn't seem like 5 years ago, guess it was, shit I'm getting old

Right? I turn 28 later this year. Guh.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:53 AM Vendetta is offline  
Reply With Quote
#39  

cokezeroholic
 
cokezeroholic's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
MACS SUCK SO MUCH
oh wait how do i use them?



durp durp durp
Yeah, door wings both ways on this one but macs seem more user friendly, and by user friendly I mean even a can use it.
__________________
There are doorways I haven't opened, and windows I've yet to look through. Going forward may not be the answer ... maybe I should go back.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:45 PM cokezeroholic is offline  
Reply With Quote
#40  

Vote McCain!
Retardism
 
Vote McCain!'s Avatar
 
having one button on a mouse is like having one nut between your legs.

/thread
Old 05-04-2010, 02:39 PM Vote McCain! is offline  
Reply With Quote
#41  

Frenetic
 
Frenetic's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote McCain! View Post
having one button on a mouse is like having one nut between your legs.

/thread

Hey guys, I didn't read the thread!
Old 05-05-2010, 06:35 AM Frenetic is offline  
Reply With Quote
#42  

Rapier
 
Well, from a purely factual basis, the only thing that really separates Macs from the rest of the commercially available laptops is OS: X. And the fact is that Windows is a much more versatile platform, because millions of software developers write code for Windows while Apple keeps strict, proprietary control over its own codebase. They're pretty much like the Gestapo when it comes to that.

Windows and Microsoft is developer-centric. That's why the chief of Microsoft, Steve Ballmer, screamed out that much maligned quote "DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS!" OS: X and Apple is user-centric. Like it or not, their product solutions are easy to use, intuitive, watered down, and limited.
__________________
http://settingtheline.wordpress.com - Intellectually honest commentary on the issues of the day
Old 05-05-2010, 07:26 AM Rapier is offline  
Reply With Quote
#43  

DigitalChaos
 
so i just compiled some open source code on my mac and am running it.
meanwhile, people in this thread still have no idea what they are talking about. Windows users are so clueless
Old 05-05-2010, 08:22 AM DigitalChaos is offline  
Reply With Quote
#44  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
so i just compiled some open source code on my mac and am running it.
meanwhile, people in this thread still have no idea what they are talking about. Windows users are so clueless

Yes, all Windows users are clueless and all Mac users are computer GAWDS.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:17 AM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#45  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:51 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.