General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Millions
Genmay Art Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangmonkey View Post
I don't use a Mac, but Final Cut Pro is a pretty popular and powerful program and it's only on Macs.

Also, I recommend Macs for some grandmas who are clients of mine because some people need a machine to take care of them.

Ugh, I used to edit with Final Cut on a Mac. Nice piece of software but it would crash and freeze more than any other program I've ever used. The major downside to using OSX was it was much more difficult to force quit.

That said, I have programs freeze on me in both Windows and Macs...I haven't found one to be more stable than the other. You start working with huge files, you're gonna have problems. Right now I'm all PC because I don't really care about the atheistic of my computer, I care about the atheistic of my work.
Hey Charlie Murphy! Arrrgh! You darkness, you black, midnight, evil mother------, black magic, darkness, you raw...darkness, you, -------, delirious mother-------, argh! You were cold as ice! ---- your couch! I'm Rick James, bitch!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

DigitalChaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Yes, all Windows users are clueless and all Mac users are computer GAWDS.
based on the statistics gathered from only this thread... that is 100% correct

DigitalChaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millions View Post
The major downside to using OSX was it was much more difficult to force quit.
kill -9

*NIX IS SO HARD GUYS I NEEDS MY WINDERS

+1 to the clueless windows users in this thread

Millions
Genmay Art Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
kill -9

*NIX IS SO HARD GUYS I NEEDS MY WINDERS

+1 to the clueless windows users in this thread

Doesn't work as well as ending a process in Windows...I'm just relaying my experience. Don't get all high and mighty because you and Jobs touched cocks or something, it's just a computer.
Hey Charlie Murphy! Arrrgh! You darkness, you black, midnight, evil mother------, black magic, darkness, you raw...darkness, you, -------, delirious mother-------, argh! You were cold as ice! ---- your couch! I'm Rick James, bitch!

DigitalChaos

Quote:
Doesn't work as well as ending a process in Windows...I'm just relaying my experience. Don't get all high and mighty because you and Jobs touched cocks or something, it's just a computer.
kill -9 doesn't work as "well" as ending a process in windows

now i have heard it all

the everything you use on the internet would like to have a word with you

Millions
Genmay Art Gawd

Quote:
kill -9 doesn't work as "well" as ending a process in windows

now i have heard it all

the everything you use on the internet would like to have a word with you

Hey you're welcome to get a job at my old office and work with the piece of shit. The spinning rainbow disc of death is ingrained on my retinas...it just flat out wouldn't respond. Don't worry, you can keep port humping your mac for eternity, I'm the first to admit I don't know all it's ins and outs, nor do I plan to.

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

No one in this thread can deny that Mac users have an aura about them that is unmistakable. Its not a bad thing, and its not a good thing, its just there. Hell, I can pick mac users out of a crowd.

I use Windows 100% of the time, but for the time that I had a powermac, I thought it was superb. A pita some times because I tried to use it like a windows machine, and I hated its "explorer". Would I switch to a mac 100% no, but it would make one hell of a couch computer.

DigitalChaos

Quote:
Hey you're welcome to get a job at my old office and work with the piece of shit. The spinning rainbow disc of death is ingrained on my retinas...it just flat out wouldn't respond. Don't worry, you can keep port humping your mac for eternity, I'm the first to admit I don't know all it's ins and outs, nor do I plan to.
if you are equating your bad experiences with PPC macs with today's intel macs that is like equating windows 3.1 with today's windows boxes

CyN1CaL
There was a hole here. It's gone now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt View Post
I dunno even after learning the OS and the shortcuts i found i was still way more productive on a PC.

This

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH

I'm not a Mac user, but I've got no issues with them.

XP is still my favorite Windows, and it's what I'm most intuitive with - I know where everything is and I can work quickly with it. Vista just annoyed me and I never used it for more than a few minutes. Then I bought Win7 Pro x64 and installed it, figuring I'd try the new thing out and get with the times - and my printer, scanner and UPS didn't have drivers. Ignoring that and playing with it for a couple of weeks, I still never warmed up to the interface and gave up on it.

Been running Ubuntu since. All my hardware works, and every application I use (office stuff, Eagle Layout, FPGA tools, cross compilers, etc) is available. Couldn't be happier.

And OSX is like a Linux distro done right, everything works out of the box. It's just as powerful, you can still compile/install anything like you can on a linux machine. You can even kill -9 a misbehaving task as DC said. And there's great software availability. Gotta say, I'm a fan.

And Macs themselves are nice. The aforementioned multitouch trackpad is awesome, and the solid aluminum Macbook my friend owns feels a lot nicer than the chintzy Dell I'm typing on right now that creaks. However, you pay for that... and I'm too cheap to buy one.

That all being said, people who buy a Mac as a fashion statement are fair game for mocking

Millions
Genmay Art Gawd

Quote:
if you are equating your bad experiences with PPC macs with today's intel macs that is like equating windows 3.1 with today's windows boxes

No this was just 2 or 3 years ago on a G5...

TommyTheCat

Quote:
Windows users are so clueless

I think you would find that most Mac haters don't hate Macs themselves. I haven't used a Mac since the early 90s and all I used it for was Oregon Trail. I grew up on Windows(and a short time with a Commodore 64) thats what I am use to, its what I am comfortable with. It does what I need it to do, which is not much. I have nothing against Macs.

Its comments like yours that make people dislike Macs, or better yet, Mac users. You are such a pompous ass about it. Give it a break.

Retardedchicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordFoppington View Post
If you think stata is bad (I like stata, though not as much as sas/spss), try R. Holy fuck, I'm on an R-help mailing list (and it's borked so I can't get OFF the list). The freaking thing is ridiculous, who would put that much effort to do analysis. They make me feel retarded.

I used to hate R with a passion, and then my professor stopped grading my papers because I used Minitab to do analysis when she required us to use R.

....and now I use R and SAS (and still minitab to make sure I'm doing shit in R correctly). I must say, the whole package in R is retarded, why not just make those features standard?

I had to use STATA for an econometrics class as well last semester, didn't really like it that much.

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Amiga For Life!!!

Runding

Quote:

I'm a net admin with a Snow Leopard Server OD Master for 15 clients within my office, along with another 20 windows clients running from a MS Server 2008 AD domain.

I've come across FAR more issues on the server-side of OS X than I ever have with Windows. There are countless numbers of bugs I've had to track down via their horrendous forums only to find out that the bug has been in Server for generations and doesn't look like it'll ever get fixed, so I have to find some workaround that really shouldn't ever have needed to be invented.

My users of OS X really like the environment, but they have far more issues with compatibility and stability versus my windows based users. When a Mac hits a wall, it hits it really, really hard and can't recover. Windows' process handling has greatly improved and is far more functional than OS X's.

Oh, and have you ever heard of cygwin? Funny, I just compiled my own shiz the other day, too.

But thats just from someone who doesn't know what he's talking about.