General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

notoriouscwe
i stole this title from a nigger

Just another recent mac convert here, I have to agree with many in the thread who have also switched to OSX as their primary OS. I have exclusively used PC's my entire life until I bought a MBP in January '10. I dual boot Win 7 ultimate on it, as well as having a Win 7 desktop I use as a media server.

What I like about the MBP and mac in general:

-It's just easier/nicer to use for general communication, web browsing, e-mail, iTunes etc.
-Best option for running Ableton live, Logic Studio, photoshop and Final cut
-Everything just works without issue - I had many problems getting an older Lenovo (and other laptops) to connect to my school's WPA2 enterprise wifi, macs connect first time every time. OSX has also never crashed on me once in the 4 months I have had the thing
-Nicer hardware - I have owned at least a dozen laptops before this, none have come close in terms of build quality
-Trackpad is awesome, whenever I use an older mac or PC laptop, I can't stand it
-Integrates wonderfully with my Win 7 desktop, I can drag and drop files via SMB and face really no limitations with what I need to do
-Dual-boot Win 7 - best of both worlds
-Battery life shits on any PC laptop I have owned previously

What I don't like:

-Insane prices both for machines and hardware upgrades (upgrading ram and HDD myself saved over $200)
-Limited connectivity (specifically mini-display not supporting HDMI audio), only 2 usb ports on 13" model
-Office Mac sucks compared to PC counterpart
-No native NTFS support (easily fixed using Paragon NTFS or other)
-More 'limited' in terms of user customizability out of the box, however there is lots of software available for macs nowadays

Just my .02

EDIT: I think the iphone sucks, go Android.

JuJuBeee: Damn! Hot Tight Does This Look??
Rhofford: it looks mad hot tight

Member of the JulianDelphiki fan club

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Fuckyouformakingmeregister
wall candy eating retard

Idealogically, don't people have a problem with it being ok to put Windows on an Aplle PC, but 'illegal' to put OSX on PC?

OH RLY?

TheMorlock: "Any atmosphere will trap heat. the CO2 in Venus's atmosphere is a RESULT of the high temps"

Ahahahahaha

bingstudent
I am an idiot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuckyouformakingmeregister View Post
Idealogically, don't people have a problem with it being ok to put Windows on an Aplle PC, but 'illegal' to put OSX on PC?

yup.

crumbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuckyouformakingmeregister View Post

I do, but being the op I think that's fairly obvious

iBran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingstudent View Post
plus most free apps on android have to be paid for on the iphone so I really don't see why this is such a huge selling point for apple ...

That's actually one of Android's drawbacks--Android users don't buy apps, so Android isn't as attractive to developers. Even if/when Android's user base surpasses the size of iPhone, I'm willing to bet that iPhone still has more apps for a long time simply because iPhone users are looser with their cash (I suspect kids on iPod touches--blowing their allowance money--is actually a big part of this)

Over the last year I've spent about $25 on apps. Twidroid Pro, Flight Stats, Beautiful Widgets, etc... I would buy more, but I'm waiting for Google/HTC to get their asses together with a 2.1 upgrade for the G1. I want a Nexus One, but there's no way I'm plunking down $529 on another Google/HTC phone that gets its updates discontinued 12 months after the release date. If they show some commitment, I'll get a new phone.

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBran View Post
That's actually one of Android's drawbacks--Android users don't buy apps, so Android isn't as attractive to developers. Even if/when Android's user base surpasses the size of iPhone, I'm willing to bet that iPhone still has more apps for a long time simply because iPhone users are looser with their cash (I suspect kids on iPod touches--blowing their allowance money--is actually a big part of this)

Android users have already surpassed iPhone users. Because of that, developers will flock to Android. You keep talking about the kids blowing their allowance money away....while Android offers the stupid apps for free, they will be charging for functional apps that will reach a broader customer base.

What would you rather do, pay $1 for an iFart application or $1 for a finance management system (These are just generic examples - I don't care if iFart is free or if there is an finance management system even available)

iBran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
Android users have already surpassed iPhone users. Because of that, developers will flock to Android. You keep talking about the kids blowing their allowance money away....while Android offers the stupid apps for free, they will be charging for functional apps that will reach a broader customer base.

What would you rather do, pay $1 for an iFart application or $1 for a finance management system (These are just generic examples - I don't care if iFart is free or if there is an finance management system even available)

I don't know what point you're trying to make: iPhone has iFart apps for $1, and Android has serios bizness apps? What? Don't kid yourself, there's plenty of FartDroid apps plaguing Android Market as well.

There are quality paid apps on both platforms. Might want to borrow someone's iPhone/iPod and have a look if you think the App Store is 200,000 copies of iFart. Flight Control, Hipstamatic, Gascubby, Convertbot, ESPN Scorecenter... those are apps I've been very impressed with, off the top of my head. And they're all exclusive to iPhone, last time I checked.

While I'm mostly satisfied with my Android purchases, in all honesty they aren't perfect. Twidroid Pro ($5) is my favorite Twitter app, but it's slow, buggy, and overall it doesn't impress me as much as iPhone's Tweetie or even Twitteriffic (which is free). Beautiful Widgets is a $5 weather widget, because Google neglected to include something so trivial as a weather app until Android 2.1. FlightStats is ugly and clunky and not very enjoyable to use, but I still paid $7 for it because it's faster and easier than getting the same info from the web. Astrid is pretty much the only Android-exclusive app that even comes close to the kind of usefulness and polish I've seen on iPhone (and webOS, for that matter). And these are the best apps I've found.

Please, if you've got some examples of awesome and amazing Android apps, enlighten me. I finally got 2.1 + Apps2SD running, so I've got room for them.

Coqui

Quote:
I don't know what point you're trying to make: iPhone has iFart apps for $1, and Android has serios bizness apps? What? Don't kid yourself, there's plenty of FartDroid apps plaguing Android Market as well.

There are quality paid apps on both platforms. Might want to borrow someone's iPhone/iPod and have a look if you think the App Store is 200,000 copies of iFart. Flight Control, Hipstamatic, Gascubby, Convertbot, ESPN Scorecenter... those are apps I've been very impressed with, off the top of my head. And they're all exclusive to iPhone, last time I checked.

While I'm mostly satisfied with my Android purchases, in all honesty they aren't perfect. Twidroid Pro ($5) is my favorite Twitter app, but it's slow, buggy, and overall it doesn't impress me as much as iPhone's Tweetie or even Twitteriffic (which is free). Beautiful Widgets is a $5 weather widget, because Google neglected to include something so trivial as a weather app until Android 2.1. FlightStats is ugly and clunky and not very enjoyable to use, but I still paid $7 for it because it's faster and easier than getting the same info from the web. Astrid is pretty much the only Android-exclusive app that even comes close to the kind of usefulness and polish I've seen on iPhone (and webOS, for that matter). And these are the best apps I've found.

Please, if you've got some examples of awesome and amazing Android apps, enlighten me. I finally got 2.1 + Apps2SD running, so I've got room for them.

No I was saying the Fart application for the iPhone costs $1. The Fart application for the Android is free. I'm not denying that there aren't quality paid apps on the Apple Store.

Regarding amazing Android Apps, that kind of depends on the person don't you think?

Mamo

I've been a mac user for about 3 years now and I do enjoy the change but, I do hate apple's business practices. Especially the commercials, I've always thought why not just show us what your computer does instead of just talking shit.
The Mac Pro seems to be the only model somewhat upgradeable and you can find reasonable prices on newegg/amazon for compatible hardware (as far as hard drives and ram) but, I doubt apple will do anything for you if everything in your tower is not straight from apple. I have the early 2008 mac pro and wanted to upgrade my 512 video card however, this card is no longer in production so I can buy one of the very few I can find on the internet to SLI for $500 or buy a brand new one at 1g for $500....hmmmm...
I use it mostly for audio production and yes, it doesn't crash as much as reason/protools used to on my pc but, I have to live with the hardware limitations set by apple which on one side I understand though it also is limiting us.
It's all about personal preference I think or, what your willing to live with. It makes sense that windows can sometimes have a problem when tons of companies are making hardware and among all the possible configurations, windows needs to make sure it works with whatever the customer might buy. With apple you don't have much of a choice but, they can design around a specific set of hardware to make it stable.

Xayd

http://www.apple.com/support/

manuals, tech specs, forums, genius bar reservation? (LOL). in short, if it's broke get out your wallet.

http://support.microsoft.com/

thousands upon thousands of pages of documentation.

what happens when it just (doesn't) work?

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayd View Post

You still have to get out your wallet....you just won't be crying at the amount.

iBran

Quote:
http://www.apple.com/support/

manuals, tech specs, forums, genius bar reservation? (LOL). in short, if it's broke get out your wallet.

http://support.microsoft.com/

thousands upon thousands of pages of documentation.

I hate the "Genius" Bar employees. I've been using computers--even Macs--longer than they've been alive, so I find their smarmy attitude and baby-talking me through their inspection/troubleshooting process to be quite insulting and a waste of time. F you, "Genius", I don't need you to run a bunch of diagnostics to determine that the battery is bad. THE BLOODY OS X MENU BAR SAYS "SERVICE BATTERY"!

That said, I'm willing to deal with it for the simple fact that I can drive to the mall, sit through the "genius" bar insult process for ten minutes, and walk out with a brand-new battery in the same time it takes me to go to the UPS Store and drop off an RMA battery for one of our Dell ATG laptops from work. Or the same time dealing with Indian phone support to arrange onsite Dell XPS service, for that matter. Been there, done that. It sucks. I hate shopping, I hate malls, but I'd so much rather do that than fuck around with Dell and HP support over the phone and/or web.

Apple service is a million times better than any of the PC brands--there's absolutely no comparison.

Xayd

yeah, but i don't have to listen to a dumbass pretend to be further away from minimum wage than he really is if i have an issue with a microsoft OS. if i google the problem i turn up a million hits, the first one being a microsoft KB article with a status, description and typically a fix (if not a simple workaround).

when i do the same thing for OSX i might get lucky and turn up a blog with some random guy who happened to stumble across the solution, short of that, i'm out a computer.

Coqui

Quote:
That said, I'm willing to deal with it for the simple fact that I can drive to the mall, sit through the "genius" bar insult process for ten minutes, and walk out with a brand-new battery in the same time it takes me to go to the UPS Store and drop off an RMA battery for one of our Dell ATG laptops from work. Or the same time dealing with Indian phone support to arrange onsite Dell XPS service, for that matter. Been there, done that. It sucks. I hate shopping, I hate malls, but I'd so much rather do that than fuck around with Dell and HP support over the phone and/or web.

If you bought your personal Dell through the Small Business section, you avoid 95% of that hassle.

You call in with the error code (Run the diagnostics before you call), they overnight ship you the new battery, you return the defective one in the pre-paid shipping box, and you're all set.

For no hassle, I'd be willing to wait till 10am next day for a battery replacement.

Runding

Quote:
yeah, but i don't have to listen to a dumbass pretend to be further away from minimum wage than he really is if i have an issue with a microsoft OS. if i google the problem i turn up a million hits, the first one being a microsoft KB article with a status, description and typically a fix (if not a simple workaround).

when i do the same thing for OSX i might get lucky and turn up a blog with some random guy who happened to stumble across the solution, short of that, i'm out a computer.

This is exactly what I was talking about. TSRH.