General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayd View Post
yeah, but i don't have to listen to a dumbass pretend to be further away from minimum wage than he really is if i have an issue with a microsoft OS. if i google the problem i turn up a million hits, the first one being a microsoft KB article with a status, description and typically a fix (if not a simple workaround).

when i do the same thing for OSX i might get lucky and turn up a blog with some random guy who happened to stumble across the solution, short of that, i'm out a computer.

Really? I guess thats why I have two NON WORKING MS joysticks that their fixes never fixed. Obsoleted by OS upgrades.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

VoodoochildBC
cutie patootie <3 bonnie

I don't have a problem with Macs per se. I have a problem with some of the idiots who use them though.

Just yesterday, some guy in one of our offices tried to plug his MBP into ALL 5 of the wired ports in his office without getting his laptop approved by us first. Port security was enabled on the switch and it shut down each port he plugged it into. So he called our helpdesk complaining that the internet was down on all his machines. I go up expecting to find the power to be out or a blown switch but instead I see 5 disabled ports. Asked him if he plugged his pretty laptop into them, he said no. I go back to my desk, get the MAC address that fucked up each port and printed it out.

Showed it to him, told him not to plug his laptop into the LAN and explained why this happened. His response was: "Well it's a mac, so it's secure!"

All I did was facepalm and walk out. I'll give him the fact that it was less likely that his machine was a virii-laden shitpile, but simply concluding that malware is the only vulnerability risk out there is downright insane. Shit like this happens with those kind of people at least 3 or 4 times a week.

I don't love or hate Apple, in fact I believe they make some nice products. Personally I wouldn't own one. A lot of the people who use them aren't anywhere near savvy, but that has more to do with marketing than anything else. I don't think they'll ever grow beyond their niche market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamo View Post
It's all about personal preference I think or, what your willing to live with. It makes sense that windows can sometimes have a problem when tons of companies are making hardware and among all the possible configurations, windows needs to make sure it works with whatever the customer might buy. With apple you don't have much of a choice but, they can design around a specific set of hardware to make it stable.
And this.

Last edited by VoodoochildBC; 05-14-2010 at 05:00 PM..

Xayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
Really? I guess thats why I have two NON WORKING MS joysticks that their fixes never fixed. Obsoleted by OS upgrades.

what are they from the stone age?

they stopped making the precision 2 five years ago i think, and it still works with windows 7.

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
what are they from the stone age?

they stopped making the precision 2 five years ago i think, and it still works with windows 7.

I had the precision 2 and then the sidewinder 3d. Could only configure them as standard 4 button sticks. so now I have a logitech. Too bad. The optical tracking on the MS sticks was nice.

crumbaker

I gotta say this Apple vs Adobe argument is amazing. Without Adobe Apple has nothing, let me say that again NOTHING on pc. My point in the original post is a far larger issue than most of you comprehend.

Adobe pulls it's products from the mac lineup that whole retarded argument about picture/video editing being better on Mac that so many people cling to will be over. Apple is digging it's own desktop grave with this one. I could care less about the mobile market.

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbaker View Post
I gotta say this Apple vs Adobe argument is amazing. Without Adobe Apple has nothing, let me say that again NOTHING on pc. My point in the original post is a far larger issue than most of you comprehend.

Adobe pulls it's products from the mac lineup that whole retarded argument about picture/video editing being better on Mac that so many people cling to will be over. Apple is digging it's own desktop grave with this one. I could care less about the mobile market.

It's funny since Apple refuses to support flash on most of its products

isugoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbaker View Post

Apple makes Final Cut Pro and the Adobe CS is on PC and benchmarks are pretty similar. the "Macs are better for graphics software" thing has been dead in the water for a long time. most graphic designers still tend to use Macs because they learned on them, they prefer something simple/pretty like OS X, and they're trendy hipsters, hence, Apple. yes, i just generalized an industry.

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoat View Post
Apple makes Final Cut Pro and the Adobe CS is on PC and benchmarks are pretty similar. the "Macs are better for graphics software" thing has been dead in the water for a long time. most graphic designers still tend to use Macs because they learned on them, they prefer something simple/pretty like OS X, and they're trendy hipsters, hence, Apple. yes, i just generalized an industry.

I think crumbaker's point was not that there's any validity to the notion that the graphics software for Macs is better, but rather that by shitting on Adobe, they're biting the hand that feeds them. If it were true that graphical tasks were better done on a mac, trying to exclude the company that makes the standard graphic software would be a pretty retarded move.

I can't help but wonder how much of Adobe's market actually uses macs. It'd be interesting to see what happened if Adobe just up and stopped selling the OSX version of Creative Suite.

evildre

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBran View Post
Over the last year I've spent about $25 on apps. Twidroid Pro, Flight Stats, Beautiful Widgets, etc... I would buy more, but I'm waiting for Google/HTC to get their asses together with a 2.1 upgrade for the G1. I want a Nexus One, but there's no way I'm plunking down $529 on another Google/HTC phone that gets its updates discontinued 12 months after the release date. If they show some commitment, I'll get a new phone.

*cough*

crumbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
I think crumbaker's point was not that there's any validity to the notion that the graphics software for Macs is better, but rather that by shitting on Adobe, they're biting the hand that feeds them. If it were true that graphical tasks were better done on a mac, trying to exclude the company that makes the standard graphic software would be a pretty retarded move.

I can't help but wonder how much of Adobe's market actually uses macs. It'd be interesting to see what happened if Adobe just up and stopped selling the OSX version of Creative Suite.

well said thank you

iBran

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildre View Post

Already did it. Works fine. So why can't HTC/Google push a fucking update out so everybody else I've recommended Android to--people that aren't necessarily savvy enough to install a custom ROM--get the update as well?

The "just root it already" attitude needs to stop. It's no wonder Android is second place when you need to void your warranty just to fix HTC and Google's problem.

The G1 got its updates discontinued 12 months after it was released. The original iPhone has gotten updates for THREE YEARS. If HTC and Google aren't going to stand behind the platform, why should I stick around?

iBran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
It's funny since Apple refuses to support flash on most of its products

Correction: Apple doesn't support Flash on its mobile products, not "most" of its products.

Neither does Google, for that matter, unless you happen to have some unreleased smartphone with Snapdragon and features rumored to be included Android 2.2 (we'll find out next week). Sure, it's fun to talk about nonexistent products, but I prefer facts.

It's sad that I have to make myself sound like a Mac zealot simply because Google can't get their shit together. I don't know why it's taken me this long to realize it, but Google loves to release products that aren't quite fully cooked. Sometimes it's fine and it pays off; Gmail has turned out to be a great product. Being an early adopter with Android, however, has essentially left me with food poisoning.

Xayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBran View Post
Already did it. Works fine. So why can't HTC/Google push a fucking update out so everybody else I've recommended Android to--people that aren't necessarily savvy enough to install a custom ROM--get the update as well?

The "just root it already" attitude needs to stop. It's no wonder Android is second place when you need to void your warranty just to fix HTC and Google's problem.

The G1 got its updates discontinued 12 months after it was released. The original iPhone has gotten updates for THREE YEARS. If HTC and Google aren't going to stand behind the platform, why should I stick around?

where's the fun in being a corporation if you can't advertise 'new sales' and 'innovative income streams' that amount to selling people the same thing two or three times because the first one didn't work?

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush

Quote:
where's the fun in being a corporation if you can't advertise 'new sales' and 'innovative income streams' that amount to selling people the same thing two or three times because the first one didn't work?

Kind of like Apple's "next gen" products which are a new release that contain everything the initial release had no excuse for not including.

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan8869 View Post
lots ot talk about here, so lets do the whole numbers thing, keeps shit organized.

1) I totally agree. Its a shitty policy, but it also has to do with the astetics, rather you like it or not, apple spends a lot of time on their design. Some would argue one of the key things to the iphones success was its retardedly simple interface and design. limited buttons, limited ports etc. You can give it to grandma, and she can figure that shit out.

But i think we can agree that it also sucks ass, I don't have an iphone, i have an itouch (which i love).

To a point, it does, but it doesn't explain why Apple decides to solder in batteries on iPod Nanos once people found out how to crack them open and do them themselves. You can have asthetics and modularity together.

Quote:
2) Dude, i am totally with you on this one. I was pissed about the ipad not having a fuckin usb port, or a camera. Its absolutely retarded that they would make a 16,32,64gb model and charge that fuckin much for it. One reason why my new laptop was a windows 7 machine is i got 500gigs of hard drive and a lot more features than an Ipad for about the same price of their 64gig model. That and i got a sweet deal in signing up for wireless broadband

http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/product/foma/data/l05a/
i got this badboy, 7meg down and 5 meg up via the cell phone network with unlimited access for 5000 yen a month (about 50USD) and when i signed up for it i got 30,000 off a new computer (about 300USD)

it was a no brainer.

Totally. It's an obvious cash grab! You can even get Windows based TABLETS with more capabilities for less cash. I don't see the justification.

Quote:

3) the fact that apple controls it is a blessing and a curse. In my opinon it has kept the app store relatively free of bad programs. I think shit like the iFart shows more about the state of humanity than the app store itself. But anyways, it keeps programs within the form factor, and gives them certain rights on shit to do. This is where the "it just works" factor kind of comes into play. Won't be many program crashes (although there are bound to be some) and keeps them semi-forced to use the same damn interface.

again, even if you hate PC's its all about the apps, so many people are tied to PCs. And apple has got a corner on the mobile application market right now for better or worse, so if you want the best selection of apps with the best usability right now on a mobile platform, you kind of have to go to apple.

Yes, I understand Apple's logic behind it, but it's still reminiscent of Microsoft of the early 90s, which is why they're possibly going to get sued over it!

Quote:

4) i love the interface. granted its got some issues, but its ten times better than the interface on my current phone.

Well LG has a phone with a slide out keyboard. Why can't Apple do that? It would look pretty much the same, maybe would be marginally thicker but not much else. It would be much better in my opinion.

Quote:
about your comment about the Japanese phones, believe it or not the Japanese phone industry isn't that much farther than the states, if at all. A few years ago that might of been true, hell they had 3g here/everywhere about 5 years before it even was available in the states.

The only thing i can think the japanese market has over the American market is the amount of Japan only features that have been incorporated
for example

Felica
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FeliCa
This can be quite useful if you live in the city, it is used at restaurants, convenient stores, and trains

Digital TV (works on a J only standard)

and Cameras, the cameras in phones here are usually 5meg or higher in resolution, i had a 5.4megapixle camera phone in 2006, my current model was a downgrade for the internet functions (but i can bitch about how bad they are another time)

my current phone was the "internet machine" phone from two years ago that didn't do flash, or load any computer website right, and lets not get into how tied it was into fuckin yahoo japan. Yahoo basically made it to where i couldn't use any other service besides yahoo, fuckin internet phone my ass, it was a yahoo phone.

and last but not least yea, the ATnT deal and the Softbank deal were very similar. Softbank shelled out a huge amount of money for exclusivity to apple, and apple bought it.

Ah, interesting. See I've always perceived Japan as an "evolutionary" culture, where people always want the next thing no matter what, whereas in North America they wait for the next "revolution", or the next BIG thing. Japan almost looked to be a testing ground for a lot of new tech toys, so I'm surprised the gap has closed.