General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Eagle View Post
At worst food aid depresses local prices temporarily. The causes of famine in Africa vary from country to country but nowhere has food aid been a major contributer, this is just dumb as hell.

endless supplies of food aid increases population number in areas where food is scarce and the population number is hard to sustain as is. .

the thousands of starving africans in the 80s are the millions of starving africans of today, and their children will be the billions of starving africans of tomorrow should countless tons of food continue to be given away.

food aid hurts way more than it helps. counter intuitive yes, but it's the truth. chinese are doing it right imho via subdued economic imperialism.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
At worst food aid depresses local prices temporarily. The causes of famine in Africa vary from country to country but nowhere has food aid been a major contributer, this is just dumb as hell.
Sure the cause varies a bit from country to country...but nearly all of them have a common factor and that is a warlord/dictator who immediately takes control of any foreign aid. Are you one of those limpies who has no problem with billions of taxpayer dollars being spent on countless boatloads of food/water/medicine being sent to all these countries..yet doesn't have the cojones to deal with the reality that is often the cause AND the obstacle standing in the way of aid doing any real good?

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Forever Domon

Ill donate money to assassinate warlords prior to shipping in aid.

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by domonbaylespam View Post
Ill donate money to assassinate warlords prior to shipping in aid.
And end up just doing a favor for the warlord in waiting? The only effective option is to go in hard and fast...take complete control of the countries and install puppet governments. Of course, even that route is only a temporary fix...maybe it's simply best to just leave them alone (COMPLETELY) and let them eventually sort it out themselves. That may sound harsh, but I don't see anyone with a better alternative. When the warlord no longer has money/food coming from western nations...and realizes that his country has a GDP lower than even the smallest U.S. state...something will give.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

wwilliam54

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTRocketMan View Post
Would much rather see that money go to proven scientific organizations that have shown promise in energy, space (biased), genetic or electrical engineering. You help the economy and hopefully get a discovery or two that can drastically improve everyone's life.

600 billion for charities will probably just filter down, with local organizations who need it the most receiving very little.

shit, you KNOW it will
even in charity Buffet will give to those that return the best in the long run

drewxhawaii
D.R.E.W. is the worst [M]ember. He is M|22's sex slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
If they donate that money to charitable organizations it will never be seen and never be used for the purposes they intend. Why? Greed and corruption will ingrain itself overnight in these institutions and only those directly in line to get the money will profit.

Im not a charity expert, but a charity is a charity only as long as it surviving on the good will of the people. That good will is few and far in between and that IMHO is what keeps these organizations humble and honest.

But like a starving dog, if you give it a small piece it will take off your hand.

So I do not agree with improving quality of life worldwide. It just wont happen. When you give someone to much money they dont know what to do with it, their eyes go wild and they lose focus on whats important.

What should they do? Maybe setup a trust that pays an income to these organizations over the next 50 years, or setup a committee that will distribute the funds as an income to organizations who they will monitor, review, and scrutinize as using this money properly.

THIS

A better idea would be for him to encourage said billionaires to set up NEW charities (like Bill & Melinda's foundation) instead of giving money to useless ones like Red Cross where >50% of donations go straight to executive salaries

Patriotic Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
endless supplies of food aid increases population number in areas where food is scarce and the population number is hard to sustain as is. .

the thousands of starving africans in the 80s are the millions of starving africans of today, and their children will be the billions of starving africans of tomorrow should countless tons of food continue to be given away.

food aid hurts way more than it helps. counter intuitive yes, but it's the truth. chinese are doing it right imho via subdued economic imperialism.

There is nothing like "endless supplies of food aid" in Africa. Significant food aid only comes in times of severe crisis and even then it's often not sufficient to fully cover the effects of famine. High fertility rates in Africa are the result of societies still based around farming and would not significantly decrease if all aid were cut off tomorrow. Most famines are the result of unexpected weather pattern changes which poor farmers are extremely susceptible too or internal violence that disrupts transportation networks. The only thing cutting off aid would accomplish is more dead Africans.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
The only thing cutting off aid would accomplish is more dead Africans.

and a population small enough to...you know sustain itself and stuff.

ApathyEcstasy
yeah, different species of slanteye here

Patriotic Eagle is a dumbass and Redrum is right.
8.1%, Chinese growth has over-heated! People are
going to riot in the streets! The CCP is about to fall!

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

give africans contraceptives and tell them its vitamins/antibiotics?

wwilliam54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeawesome View Post
give africans contraceptives and tell them its vitamins/antibiotics?

i.e. get the Catholic Church the fuck out of Africa, so the locals wont hear priest talking about how evil they are

SemperFly

Quote:
The only thing cutting off aid would accomplish is more dead Africans.

which means eventually they'll be few enough in number to sustain themselves or none at all and we won't have to spend money on them

win-win situation for everyone that matters

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

I say we feed them for another 100 years. The first 100 didn't work so we need to spend 100 more and then reevaluate.

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post
which means eventually they'll be few enough in number to sustain themselves or none at all and we won't have to spend money on them

except there are many other more important variables in the equation than plain sustenance, but don't let that bother your eugenics ridden dreams you stupid fucktard

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post

this. the time of "endless aid" is over. when our country is as broke as it is now, we really can't afford to be spending millions sending supplies overseas to countries that can't help themselves.