General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
not going to change anything

charity is a farce and giving shit away to various shit hole nations will only worsen their condition, ironically. coupled with the fact the standard of living in western nations almost largely depends on a large chunk of the world remaining impoverished, exploitable, and thus easily controlled makes matters worse.

setting up merit-based scholarships for higher education in stable western nations and extending it to the third world is money far better spent, imho. donating half of it to nasa. anything is better then feeding a bunch of people who are starving only so they can go on to have ten kids that they can't feed. half of the reason why large parts of africa have been in a state of perpetual starvation for the past three decades can be readily attributed to food aid alone.

Higher education degree holders are overpopulated in today's job market. What you're proposing is the intellectual equivalent of providing food aid to Africans.
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Frenetic

There was once some game show on a year ago where it was like American Idol but for people who needed money for inventions and projects. One group was this girls soccer team that wanted money to set up a soccer field and program for a tribe they were penpals with in Uganda. One of the female judges shirked at that and said that one of the biggest concerns for philanthropists such as herself with aiding people in third world countries is sustainability. Sure the money they're asking for would last the Ugandan program a year, but what about the next year? Or the year after that?

In the case of billionaires donating tons of money to charity, I think that's great, but it should do into something that can people can perpetuate and elevate over time, and not just throw some bread at suffering people and think you're making a difference. If the money is used to help educate people or give them new job opportunities, then more power to them. Some people here have made some good suggestions. If it's just money being thrown at organizations that help sustain people, then I think that's a huge opportunity wasted.

SemperFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
except there are many other more important variables in the equation than plain sustenance, but don't let that bother your eugenics ridden dreams you stupid fucktard

of course there are more variables but starving them is the first step

journey of a thousand miles...

edit: for every crate of food, send them more guns instead. cheaper and it'll encourage the problem to solve itself

SemperFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWhoKnows View Post
Higher education degree holders are overpopulated in today's job market. What you're proposing is the intellectual equivalent of providing food aid to Africans.

and too few skilled laborers

maybe if the educated would spend more time building robots that could do those labor jobs instead of sipping their lattes and ethos water at starfucks and bitching and moaning about the country that allows them to sip said faggy drinks while blogging about the evils of america then maybe they'd be worth more than a piece of paper that grants the option to either work at abercrombie or remain a student until they go right into teaching despite having not left a campus for anything besides spring break in nearly a decade

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

I know I said in the OP that people have a right to do whatever they want with their money...but goddam, every time I think about it that's a fuckton of money that will probably be sucked into a black hole with little or no return on investment. Of course, that's not much different than what our government is doing with our tax money..

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post
of course there are more variables but starving them is the first step

journey of a thousand miles...

edit: for every crate of food, send them more guns instead. cheaper and it'll encourage the problem to solve itself

I'm in too good a mood to troll and/or write profanities, so I'm not taking the bait and wish you a nice day instead.

You're partly right though, subsaharan shitholes and war zones perhaps shouldn't be aided too much (but that has more to do with 0 sustainability and the direction of aid which isn't aid to begin with when it lands in the hands of someone who sells it).

Point is, for every person that writes gibberish about free market capitalism and some perverse darwinian survivalofthefittest-tripe doesn't really understand there isn't a free market to begin with, and if there were a free market there sure would be little shortage of food in africa. I don't see how you (or anyone else suggesting the same) has any ground on saying otherwise, considering subsidies and tariffs make the manure put on the crops worth more in money, than african made food for african people. Unless you're of course, an enlightened sadist or something of the kind.

Aldaris

Giving to charity is the best example of giving a man a fish. It inures him to receive more fish from you, not to learn to fish for himself.

zoopnazi
no zoop for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldaris View Post
Giving to charity is the best example of giving a man a fish. It inures him to receive more fish from you, not to learn to fish for himself.

who says the charity can't be fish school?

California Pizza Chicken

Millions
Genmay Art Gawd

Should be used for funding for medical / scientific endeavors. Curing AIDS / cancer / figuring out renewable energy is going to save a lot more lives in the long run....
Hey Charlie Murphy! Arrrgh! You darkness, you black, midnight, evil mother------, black magic, darkness, you raw...darkness, you, -------, delirious mother-------, argh! You were cold as ice! ---- your couch! I'm Rick James, bitch!

joemama

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopnazi View Post
who says the charity can't be fish school?
It could be, and a small number do teach "fishing", but the vast majority take the easy way out and simply send boatloads of food/clothing or have medical missions 2-3 times a year. Some of these countries are too fucked up and dangerous for any sane person to spend any more time than they have to on the ground..

._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

UTRocketMan

Quote:
and too few skilled laborers

maybe if the educated would spend more time building robots that could do those labor jobs instead of sipping their lattes and ethos water at starfucks and bitching and moaning about the country that allows them to sip said faggy drinks while blogging about the evils of america then maybe they'd be worth more than a piece of paper that grants the option to either work at abercrombie or remain a student until they go right into teaching despite having not left a campus for anything besides spring break in nearly a decade

Dude, shit's way harder than you think.

Plus, with cheap Mexicans, there isn't any reason at all to develop automation. It's simple economics here. The R&D for hardcore automation cost way more than just paying unskilled laborers.

SemperFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
I'm in too good a mood to troll and/or write profanities, so I'm not taking the bait and wish you a nice day instead.

You're partly right though, subsaharan shitholes and war zones perhaps shouldn't be aided too much (but that has more to do with 0 sustainability and the direction of aid which isn't aid to begin with when it lands in the hands of someone who sells it).

Point is, for every person that writes gibberish about free market capitalism and some perverse darwinian survivalofthefittest-tripe doesn't really understand there isn't a free market to begin with, and if there were a free market there sure would be little shortage of food in africa. I don't see how you (or anyone else suggesting the same) has any ground on saying otherwise, considering subsidies and tariffs make the manure put on the crops worth more in money, than african made food for african people. Unless you're of course, an enlightened sadist or something of the kind.
believe it or not I generally agree with everything you just said

especially the part about aid going to the wrong people

SemperFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTRocketMan View Post
Dude, shit's way harder than you think.

Plus, with cheap Mexicans, there isn't any reason at all to develop automation. It's simple economics here. The R&D for hardcore automation cost way more than just paying unskilled laborers.

i don't care, i want some hot naked cylon bitch ironing my clothes and making me sandwiches and if you disagree then fuck you and everyone that lives in your house
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
It could be, and a small number do teach "fishing", but the vast majority take the easy way out and simply send boatloads of food/clothing or have medical missions 2-3 times a year. Some of these countries are too fucked up and dangerous for any sane person to spend any more time than they have to on the ground..
you're forgetting one crucial fact: it takes time to learn and no amount of learning means shit when there aren't enough fish. obviously this is metaphorical but you can't just expect people to learn to sustain themselves while they're starving to death. sometimes a few fish while taking the fishing lessons is necessary, otherwise there won't be anyone left to learn how to fish

and then what will your mom do on saturday nights

joemama

Quote:
i don't care, i want some hot naked cylon bitch ironing my clothes and making me sandwiches and if you disagree then fuck you and everyone that lives in your house
you're forgetting one crucial fact: it takes time to learn and no amount of learning means shit when there aren't enough fish. obviously this is metaphorical but you can't just expect people to learn to sustain themselves while they're starving to death. sometimes a few fish while taking the fishing lessons is necessary, otherwise there won't be anyone left to learn how to fish

I agree that a few pre-caught fish slipped onto the line while the lessons are going on are necessary...but doing it without any lessons or a preset time when the "students" must go solo without aid is just an endless cycle. History has shown that people can sustain themselves in even the most infertile, inhospitable places on earth...but once the population rises above a certain point it can no longer happen. Of course that brings us back to the point where limpies and most politicians (except Chinese) don't want to go. At what point does having children stop being a basic human right and start being a menace to society?

edit- same thing your mom does...last I heard they were still in business together.

._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:

When there are not enough fish because you overfed the existing population into a population boom that the amount of fish can not sustain, maybe you are not doing it right?