General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush
 
Tom Kazansky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayd View Post
you've been watching too much glenn beck. you should stop.

if we had been on a right leaning trend, right defined by the republicans of the past 10 years, for the past 50 years, the entire country would look like an indian slum, and would be ruled by a military oligarchy.

the fact is, the current 'right' is nothing more than failed political marketing. it never had any ideas worth espousing. the 'right' of 30 years ago was more left than the left is today. you are 20% of the voting public, time to come to terms with the perpetual minority.

Totally. 50 years ago the Republicans supported, in a higher majority than Democrats, such backwards policies as the Civil Rights Act. Even further back than that, Republican governments did things like free the slaves and other such horrid acts that ruined the fabric of American society. Obviously, following such silly Republican ideas is going to ruin America.

Everything is the Republicans/GW's fault. I'm in no way a partisan hack.
__________________
ERTW - Engineers Rule The World
Old 06-25-2010, 11:14 PM Tom Kazansky is offline  
Reply With Quote
#16  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush
 
Tom Kazansky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
Lies. Lies and slander.

True story brah. I can honestly sit through an entire episode of the Colbert Report and not even crack a smile. That whole "I'm trying to satirize Bill O'Rielly" thing is old and tired to me. Jon Stewart is funnier because he's himself, so even when I don't agree with him I can still laugh at his jokes.

Then again, South Park is significantly funnier and more politically in tune than either of those two shows.
__________________
ERTW - Engineers Rule The World
Old 06-25-2010, 11:16 PM Tom Kazansky is offline  
Reply With Quote
#17  

Mooninites
 
Mooninites's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
Totally. 50 years ago the Republicans supported, in a higher majority than Democrats, such backwards policies as the Civil Rights Act. Even further back than that, Republican governments did things like free the slaves and other such horrid acts that ruined the fabric of American society. Obviously, following such silly Republican ideas is going to ruin America.

Everything is the Republicans/GW's fault. I'm in no way a partisan hack.
Because the Republican party today is the same as the Republican party in the 50s/60s is the same as...well you get the point.
__________________
Mooninites unite!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:28 PM Mooninites is offline  
Reply With Quote
#18  

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush
 
Tom Kazansky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooninites View Post
Because the Republican party today is the same as the Republican party in the 50s/60s is the same as...well you get the point.

Except in his post he says "defined in the past 50 years".
__________________
ERTW - Engineers Rule The World
Old 06-25-2010, 11:42 PM Tom Kazansky is offline  
Reply With Quote
#19  

wwilliam54
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
Totally. 50 years ago the Republicans supported, in a higher majority than Democrats, such backwards policies as the Civil Rights Act. Even further back than that, Republican governments did things like free the slaves and other such horrid acts that ruined the fabric of American society. Obviously, following such silly Republican ideas is going to ruin America.

Everything is the Republicans/GW's fault. I'm in no way a partisan hack.

Oh yes, the solid south
back when democrats were ignorant and racist as fuck
does is support you argument to know that 90% of those people turned into Republicans during the 60's and were the single biggest reason that Nixon was able to win, twice


edit: FWIW I think the OP has misunderstood a shift to the left
When in fact, during the late 70's and early 80's the country as a whole shifted to batshit insane fundamentalist Christianity, who like to trumpet everything they disagree with as evil.
__________________
2004 Grand Marquis- Just a big bucket o' steel.
1997 Geo- Three Cylinders of Fury, 5 Gears of slow (R.I.P)
Old 06-26-2010, 12:40 AM wwilliam54 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#20  

MuffinMan8869
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
So basically the definition of progress is anything a leftist says?

uh no.


again, give me an example of a "progressive" conservative policy.
__________________
http://wrfl.fm/
Old 06-26-2010, 03:43 AM MuffinMan8869 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#21  

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED
 
pyramid's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan8869 View Post
give me an example of a "progressive" conservative policy.



the most progressive conservative you are likely to find is a libertarian and they are only going to be progressive on social issues like gay rights or legalizing pot.
__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street
Old 06-26-2010, 07:51 AM pyramid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#22  

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush
 
Tom Kazansky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilliam54 View Post
Oh yes, the solid south
back when democrats were ignorant and racist as fuck
does is support you argument to know that 90% of those people turned into Republicans during the 60's and were the single biggest reason that Nixon was able to win, twice

Linkage showing proof that's the case? Given the numbers of dissenting Democrats, 90% would have given the GOP a solid majority in both the House and the Senate for many years.

Even if it is, it doesn't matter. He's still wrong. He still said Republican policy of 50 years ago, he still knows less about his own history than a Canadian apparently.
__________________
ERTW - Engineers Rule The World

Last edited by Tom Kazansky; 06-26-2010 at 08:52 AM..
Old 06-26-2010, 08:27 AM Tom Kazansky is offline  
Reply With Quote
#23  

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush
 
Tom Kazansky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan8869 View Post
uh no.


again, give me an example of a "progressive" conservative policy.

Define progress. It appears by your definition, progress is, in itself, a leftist policy. That's not inherently the case. I'll give you one. Free market economics. Command economies are what the extreme left uses, and the world has shown us those are doomed to fail. Still, leftists everywhere can be found worshipping Karl Marx, Lenin, Castro, etc, as heroes we should be emulating. But it's "progressive", because it's leftist.

Perhaps by contrast, I could present to you a conservative that might suggest what you define to be "progress" as something that's actually "regressive", and negative. You're talking about semantics, basically. Not everything a leftist wants is "progressive" by default like so many people like to pretend it is.

Do you consider allowing Mexicans into the United States illegally to represent a "progressive" view? I've noticed those evil conservatives appear to prefer people entering the country to do so legally, which apparently is an archaic and regressive concept simply because conservatives believe in it.
__________________
ERTW - Engineers Rule The World

Last edited by Tom Kazansky; 06-26-2010 at 08:46 AM..
Old 06-26-2010, 08:30 AM Tom Kazansky is offline  
Reply With Quote
#24  

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush
 
Tom Kazansky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post


the most progressive conservative you are likely to find is a libertarian and they are only going to be progressive on social issues like gay rights or legalizing pot.

How is legalizing pot "progressive"? Also, legalizing pot is not that easy, given the international narcotics laws that the United States and other Western powers are signatory to. Do you consider it progressive that we still have a sizable portion of tobacco smokers that are getting cancer, dying early, and costing society billions of dollars every year (sorry, in "progressive" countries with social health care anyways...actually the United States as well when you think about it....)? Would you consider legalizing heroin and cocaine as "progressive", since you think legalizing pot is "progressive" as well? I don't understand how legalizing a narcotic substance defines social progress in general, since marijuana consumption is not a requirement to have a "successful" society. I suppose it does because it's generally leftist.

Again, you're defining "progress" by what is left-wing and what you agree with. That is not the definition of "progress". Just because it's left-wing does not make it progressive.
__________________
ERTW - Engineers Rule The World

Last edited by Tom Kazansky; 06-26-2010 at 08:43 AM..
Old 06-26-2010, 08:35 AM Tom Kazansky is offline  
Reply With Quote
#25  

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush
 
Tom Kazansky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbo View Post
The last thing you want is the ridiculous 'Progressive Conservatives' like we have/had here. The name itself is an oxymoron.You can't stand still/retrench while simultaneously moving forward.

Also, unless you can provide actual evidence of this shift, the last 30 years would like to have a word with you.

So basically you should change things that really don't need changing just to create the illusion that you're "moving forward"? You can never have an issue where things are fine the way they are?

So let me ask you something, most leftist I know tend to favour more government involvement in the economy. Government involvement is inherently inefficient, and countries with extensive government involvement have been shown to be less successful than those who favour the free market. Currently, Western powers are free market economies. Should we change this simply because keeping the "status quo" would not be "progressive"?
__________________
ERTW - Engineers Rule The World
Old 06-26-2010, 08:39 AM Tom Kazansky is offline  
Reply With Quote
#26  

wwilliam54
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
Linkage showing proof that's the case? Given the numbers of dissenting Democrats, 90% would have given the GOP a solid majority in both the House and the Senate for many years.

Even if it is, it doesn't matter. He's still wrong. He still said Republican policy of 50 years ago, he still knows less about his own history than a Canadian apparently.

yeah they numbers were out of my ass, but the effect was not

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

and FWIW, yeah he doesn't know shit
I would have voted republican in all local elections (MS) for almost half of the last 50 years
__________________
2004 Grand Marquis- Just a big bucket o' steel.
1997 Geo- Three Cylinders of Fury, 5 Gears of slow (R.I.P)
Old 06-26-2010, 09:09 AM wwilliam54 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#27  

5ive
 
5ive's Avatar
 
nevermind
__________________
Chicho is full of win.
Member #5 of the Romeoz God R.I.P Collective
Old 06-26-2010, 09:40 AM 5ive is offline  
Reply With Quote
#28  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
Do you consider allowing Mexicans into the United States illegally to represent a "progressive" view? I've noticed those evil conservatives appear to prefer people entering the country to do so legally, which apparently is an archaic and regressive concept simply because conservatives believe in it.

The "conservatives" in power are perfectly content with the flood of illegal immigrants because corporate interests are happy with it. Oh sure, they'll talk about how evil illegals are to win support from their base, but they've done exactly nothing about it despite having the legislative power to deal with the issue many times of the last 30 years.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:58 AM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#29  

Forever Domon
 
Forever Domon's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
The "conservatives" in power are perfectly content with the flood of illegal immigrants because corporate interests are happy with it. Oh sure, they'll talk about how evil illegals are to win support from their base, but they've done exactly nothing about it despite having the legislative power to deal with the issue many times of the last 30 years.
support from their base (of illegal immigrants?)

Illegal immigrants cant vote. They have absolutely no base power to representatives.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:04 PM Forever Domon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#30  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:56 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.