General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeLLFiRe View Post
Because you believe that Liberal social and economic policies have all been beneficial for America? Continually raising minimum wage has been disastrous for America.
Yeah, paying 2.3 percent of all hourly-paid workers, or 0.56 percent of the population of the United States $7.25 per hour is what is bankrupting us...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum..._United_States

Quote:
Twelve million illegal aliens has been disastrous for America.
Sure, if you believe that 4% of the nation is bankrupting the other 96% by providing cheap manual labor. Also, which liberal president was it again that granted the illegals amnesty?

Or illegals are just a scapegoat for our mismanaged government and all the jobs that rich people sent over seas to increase their profits.

Quote:
Forcing banks to provide loans to unqualified people has been disastrous for America.
Yeah, the government really twisted the banks arms and told them to go nuts with sub-prime mortgages to unqualified people and then the government came up with the idea to repackage and resell those subprimes as securities as fast as possible and then the government told wallstreet to bet against those securities in the derivatives market and make billions while the rest of the country was going down the tubes...

DAMN YOU GOVERNMENT!!!! You are so incompetent but always three steps ahead.

Quote:
Forcing oil companies into deep water drilling and foreign dependency has been disastrous for America.
Yeah, it's all the damn environmentalists fault. Of course they wanted a complete moratorium on all offshore drilling but I'm totally sure you are right about the oil spill totally being the fault of the government and the environmentalists and not the oil company that had racked up more safety violations than every other oil company combined times ten.

And while you are at it why don't you blame the government and the environmentalists for not putting bigger oil reserves here in the united states because no matter how much we drill and pollute our coastal waters we will never have enough oil here to end our dependency on foreign oil, sparky.

Quote:
Free health care and taxpayer subsidized education for illegal aliens at the expense of everyone else hasn't been good either for America.
Damn illegals, they just get everything for free, don't they?

medicaid represents 7.8% of the federal budget. and just think of how productive people without educations are. I'm sure denying education to people will totally save money in the long run...

Quote:
Liberals have proven that they will do anything for votes, even destroy the very fabric of this country to get and maintain control. Just about every policy they have come up with works like a ponzi scheme. It all looked good on paper as long as the population kept growing and wages continually increased but as soon as the baby boomers grew up it all unraveled.
Thanks Glenn Beck. Hey, you might be surprised to know this but 90% of the current national debt was racked up by Reagan, Bush, and Bush 2 with their fantastic leadership skills. The reason SS is bankrupt is because these guys and clinton used the SS trust fund as their slush fund. SS usually runs a surplus and if it had not been raided to hide budget deficits it would contain trillions of dollars. Oops.

Last edited by pyramid; 06-27-2010 at 12:58 PM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
The extent we depend on oil of course has nothing to do with liberal ecofreaks halting all work on nuclear power plants for decades

Cars don't run on nuclear power and power plants don't run on oil.

And I'm sure that Chernobyl and three mile island and the problems of what to do with nuclear waste had absolutely nothing to do with the publics perception of nuclear power.

Xayd

Quote:
The extent we depend on oil of course has nothing to do with liberal ecofreaks halting all work on nuclear power plants for decades

yes, the collective money of all industry is thwarted yet again by people who can't afford a haircut and clothes.

DAMN THAT CAPTAIN PLANET

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
Cars don't run on nuclear power and power plants don't run on oil.

And I'm sure that Chernobyl and three mile island and the problems of what to do with nuclear waste had absolutely nothing to do with the publics perception of nuclear power.

There is this thing that nuclear plants make called electricity. and you know, if you make electricity cheap and clean the entire society benefits. And hey people may not want to spend 2 bucks a gallon on gas if they can drive cheaper on electricity. Companies would have been falling all over themselves to make a workable electric vehicle.

Activity against nuclear plants and the lies about nuclear waste existed long before three mile island. And three mile island was pretty much an non event. And would not have amounted to a big event in a worst case scenario. But once again liberal ecofreaks used misinformation from that event to help kill more plants.

MuffinMan8869

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
Define progress

I think it was pretty well defined earlier so i won't do it again.
If you think free market capitalism is progress than i got news for you, its nothing new, and when it was propossed a long long time ago, it was a progressive idea. And also, its exactly what we don't need. The conservative free market shift of the previous bush administration has done far more harm than it has good. You only need to look at the current oil spill, Conservative's push for less regulation, at work. (i will note that the oil spill isn't the fault of one president, but a fault in policies that have been going on for a while)
hell here is another example, look at wallstreet? Whenever they remove regulations wallstreet does something to fuck over the economy, the whole 1929 crash was due to, Free market regulations, or should i say lack of regulations.

The thing is, progressive and conservative just don't go together. Conservative is all about promoting the status quo, usually what was considered progressive a generation ago is now considered conservative this generation.

MuffinMan8869

Quote:
There is this thing that nuclear plants make called electricity. and you know, if you make electricity cheap and clean the entire society benefits. And hey people may not want to spend 2 bucks a gallon on gas if they can drive cheaper on electricity. Companies would have been falling all over themselves to make a workable electric vehicle.

Activity against nuclear plants and the lies about nuclear waste existed long before three mile island. And three mile island was pretty much an non event. And would not have amounted to a big event in a worst case scenario. But once again liberal ecofreaks used misinformation from that event to help kill more plants.

building a lot more nuclear power plants isn't going to solve the problem.

a variety of renewable energy is going to be the solution, with a little bit of nuclear thrown into the mix.

that, and the States needs to drop the love affair with the car, make some sacrafices by not living in green grass suburbs in the middle of the desert like Las Vegas (live where it makes sense people).

also, 2 dollars a gallon for gas, God i wish i could get gas that cheap.

TheMorlock

seems to be working for France

wwilliam54

Quote:

clean electrical power afford other opportunities as well, such as synfuels
nothing like converting organic waste into gasoline and diesel

MuffinMan8869

Quote:
seems to be working for France

seeing that france is smaller than texas, there are different power requirements. also, france has a far denser population,

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan8869 View Post
seeing that france is smaller than texas, there are different power requirements. also, france has a far denser population,

and delivers almost 80% of it's electrical needs with over just over half the amount of plants the USA has(in that smaller than texas size)

next red herring please I want to bat it back out into LEFT field

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilliam54 View Post
clean electrical power afford other opportunities as well, such as synfuels
nothing like converting organic waste into gasoline and diesel

clean electrical power is only clean if the left says it is. And if it says something is clean then of course you bet ya it Is Clean This is not the toxic landfill from making phtovoltaic solar panels you were looking for.]/Jedi mind trick

MuffinMan8869

Quote:
and delivers almost 80% of it's electrical needs with over just over half the amount of plants the USA has(in that smaller than texas size)

next red herring please I want to bat it back out into LEFT field

i think we are trying to argue different things. I'm not saying that the doesn't need MORE nuclear power plants, im saying that it is unrealistic that nuclear can provide all the power to the US.

and one big issue is that we use far electricty than other countries, the US has to lower its power consumption. Energy efficient homes, would be a good place to start.

TheMorlock

Why not?

MuffinMan8869

short answer:
Ohms Law
Uranium Supply
Money
Waste Disposal

Long answer: if the US switched to the same ratio as you quoted france as having 80% of their electrical power produced by nuclear power. Several things would happen,
1) The price of Uranium would skyrocket (you do realize, we don't have the vast supply of uranium as we do say, coal..)
2)The average electrical bill would double, Nuclear power isn't all that cheap, especially when you add all the safety and security features a large scale nuclear plant would require. As well as the initial investment of getting said nuclear plant operational. With the sheer amount of new plants, new lines, new everything the cost would be eventually funneled to the consumer.
3) Because no one wants a nuclear plant in their backyard, you would probably have to locate the plants in an undesirable area which usually isn't that close to where people live (where the power is needed). This will add cost, as well as waste because of you know, resistance. Its more efficient to have the power plant closer, again logistical problems of the real world....
4) Dependance would switch from Oil to Uranium, and so we would basically be throwing our eggs from one basket into another basket. so instead of being slaves to the middle east we would become slaves to Kazakhstan and Canada. and lets face it, who likes dirty canadians...
5) Risk of a potential meltdown will increase exponentially unless we raise the budget of the nuclear regulatory commission. which again, would cost money. A fullscale meltdown would be a huge national as well as worldwide disaster, To prevent such a thing is going to cost a lot more money. I am only going to guess on this, but i would guess that the cost of regulation would have to increase exponentially to the amount of plants.
6) waste. YES nuclear waste is still a problem, it is still radioactive and needs to be disposed of and handled. Currently, we just store the shit in vats on site of major nuclear plants, but again, if you increase the amount of nuclear power plants 4 fold, you increase the waste. Something will have to be done about the waste. New waste sites will have to be created, which again isn't something desirable, maybe arizona or texas would be a good place, the conservatives won't mind I'm sure...

some things to note*
Currently we have 104 nuclear power plants in the United States producing 19% of the power. So if we estimate 80% of the power produced by Nuclear power
104 plants = roughly 20%
104 x 4 = 416 give or take a few. That is a lot of fuckin Nuclear power plants, Also it might be interesting to note that the US is currently the largest supplier of Nuclear power by Volume, and it only accounts for roughly 20% of US electrical power consumption (lets not forget non electrical power such as gasoline, kerosene, natural gas etc). France's 80% in comparison is cake walk.

TheMorlock

Ohms law HAHAHAH thats why we use high voltage AC instead of DC

Uranium supply? There is plenty for the next few hundred years.
Money? Yeah ecofreak money buying politicians
Waste disposal NOT AN ISSUE except as a red herring. You can hold depleted uranium in your hand and get less exposure than breathing the air in your basement.

Meltdown? From non Chernobyl type plants? Are you fucking kidding me? Take your FUD elsewhere. Quit getting your info from The China Syndrome.

Nimby I will give you.

Rates Double? Only if people are stupid and let others be greedy.