General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

MuffinMan8869

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
Ohms law HAHAHAH thats why we use high voltage AC instead of DC

Uranium supply? There is plenty for the next few hundred years.
Money? Yeah ecofreak money buying politicians
Waste disposal NOT AN ISSUE except as a red herring. You can hold depleted uranium in your hand and get less exposure than breathing the air in your basement.

Meltdown? From non Chernobyl type plants? Are you fucking kidding me? Take your FUD elsewhere. Quit getting your info from The China Syndrome.

Nimby I will give you.

Rates Double? Only if people are stupid and let others be greedy.

where do you get your info?

Uranium supply, enough for the next few hundred years, just like we have enough oil for the next few hundred years, the problem isn't that it isn't there, is that we don't have it, other countries do. learn to read. My point about uranium supply is valid, increase demand, price increases.. simply economics dude.

You are a fool if you don't think building 300 plus nuclear reactors isn't going to cost a shit ton of money.

Waste disposal is an issue, look into High level waste, which is produced by nuclear power plants, it isn't benign, is it as big of an issue as the enviro anti nuke nuts make it out to be, NO. but a problem that adds to cost none the less.

and only an idiot would believe the threat of a meltdown or other horrible disaster caused by a nuclear power plant (new or old) isn't a possibility. Slight possibility yes, but since we have oil wells blowing up, bridges collapsing, and other gross infrastructure oversights in the US, id say the possibility exist right now, and will only increase if you hadd another 300 plants...

a .0004% chance probability is still a probability

Quote:
Only if people are stupid and let others be greedy.
and you obviously have more faith in people than i do.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Professional FUD is your game huh?

"Most nuclear wastes produced are hazardous, due to their radioactivity, for only a few tens of years and are routinely disposed in near-surface disposal facilities. A small volume of nuclear waste (~3% volume of total waste produced) is long-lived and highly radioactive and requires isolation from the environment for many thousands of years."

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf103.html

So another red herring batted back out into LEFT FIELD

Last edited by TheMorlock; 06-27-2010 at 07:43 PM..

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
There is this thing that nuclear plants make called electricity. and you know, if you make electricity cheap and clean the entire society benefits. And hey people may not want to spend 2 bucks a gallon on gas if they can drive cheaper on electricity. Companies would have been falling all over themselves to make a workable electric vehicle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Kil...lectric_Car%3F

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post

Yeah because the lack of ability to go more than 20 miles or faster than 30mph had nothing to do with it.

I wonder if that hit piece covers that part.

Last edited by TheMorlock; 06-27-2010 at 10:49 PM..

wwilliam54

Quote:
clean electrical power is only clean if the left says it is. And if it says something is clean then of course you bet ya it Is Clean This is not the toxic landfill from making phtovoltaic solar panels you were looking for.]/Jedi mind trick

you misunderstand
I like Nuklear, lol

edit: pebble bed reactors get my wood up

The Morlock is right, waste isnt a big deal as long as corrosion is prevented
A lump of Pu wont kill you. But atomized or dissolved in water, you gotta die pretty quickly.
Using the solid carbon balls with fissionable cores is really cool.
Once they are used up you can just toss em in a hole they are so chemically inert

Last edited by wwilliam54; 06-28-2010 at 12:10 AM..

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

So basically the OP is pondering why "conservative" isn't considered "progressive", and explains this by "liberal bias".

...read that a few times.

bingstudent
I am an idiot!

If you think the US is undergoing a leftward shift you have probably been fast asleep since about 1980

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
So basically the OP is pondering why "conservative" isn't considered "progressive", and explains this by "liberal bias".

...read that a few times.

doing something stupid and pissing everything away is not Progress. Progressive is currently a buzzword to make idiots bob their head up and down in agreement with drivel being shoveled out. Now dont let your head fall off there with overzealous bobbing. I hear it's not to firmly attached.

You can be conservative and make progress. Conservative does not equal reactionary. So yes if you are not merely using Progressive as a buzzword conservatives can be progressive.

MuffinMan8869

so if my waste argument is bunk, you still havn't addressed the other issues with nuclear power btw.

again, i ask for the love of all that is holy, give me a conservative policy that is progressive. Please, i want to know one.

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Yeah because the lack of ability to go more than 20 miles or faster than 30mph had nothing to do with it.

I wonder if that hit piece covers that part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1

Quote:
For the 1999 model year, GM released a Gen II version of the EV1. Major improvements included lower production costs, quieter operation, extensive weight reduction, and the advent of a nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) battery.[11] The Gen II models were initially released with a 60 amp-hour (18.7 kilowatt-hour) Panasonic lead-acid battery pack, a slight improvement over the Gen I power source using the same 312 V voltage; later models featured an Ovonics NiMH battery rated at 77 Ah (26.4 kWh) with 343 volts. Cars with the lead-acid pack had a range of 80 to 100 miles, while the NiMH cars could travel between 100 and 140 miles between charges.

137 bhp (102 kW) at 7000 rpm
110 lbft (149 Nm) at 0-7000 rpm
Just imagine if they had been kept around long enough to have a lithium ion or better battery pack...

wwilliam54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan8869 View Post
short answer:
Ohms Law
Uranium Supply
Money

1M+ volt systems can reduce the amount of transmission losses to very low levels over a long distance while carrying high current (i.e cross country)

Breeder reactors are nasty, but provide a viable option to extend the total amount of fissile material available. Not to mention thorium as a possible supplement.

Money... The only reason current Nuclear plants cost as much as they do is the economy of scale, each plant of a one off system. This greatly increases cost. If the modular systems that are being design ever come to fruition. Cost will come down tremendously.

Oh as for meltdowns and blowing the fuck up.. thats another reason why pebble bed reactors are so cool.

MuffinMan8869

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilliam54 View Post
1M+ volt systems can reduce the amount of transmission losses to very low levels over a long distance while carrying high current (i.e cross country)

Breeder reactors are nasty, but provide a viable option to extend the total amount of fissile material available. Not to mention thorium as a possible supplement.

Money... The only reason current Nuclear plants cost as much as they do is the economy of scale, each plant of a one off system. This greatly increases cost. If the modular systems that are being design ever come to fruition. Cost will come down tremendously.

Oh as for meltdowns and blowing the fuck up.. thats another reason why pebble bed reactors are so cool.

interesting interesting.
been reading up on breeder reactors and stuff on wiki

but what would be the price of getting the US to 80% on nuclear? My guess is in the trillions. I would love to see some more plants and especially breeder reactors and all that, i just honestly don't think it is feasible in the short term to get that much power from nuclear, especially when you consider the financial and logistical hurdles needed to make it happen. I definitely support upgrading, newer reactors, better technology and all that.

my money is on a combination of hydro, nuclear, wind, solar
there have been some really cool advancements in wind/solar and hydro that make them far more viable options than they were just 10 or 15 years ago. mix that in with new reactors and we got a solution for electric power, problem still is natural gas heating and cars and other things that need oil based products

Gibonius

And to counter Morlock's oft-cited statement: there have been some big advances in solar recently that are going to minimize or eliminate the reliance on toxic heavy metals. The problem is just storing the energy, and we're working on solutions for that.

MuffinMan8869

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
And to counter Morlock's oft-cited statement: there have been some big advances in solar recently that are going to minimize or eliminate the reliance on toxic heavy metals. The problem is just storing the energy, and we're working on solutions for that.

they are building really efficient solar plants that don't use any photo voltaic materials (only chemicals they use are water)

its really quite an ingenious idea, use mirrors and the sun to heat water til it steams, use steam to power turbines. Only thing needed is water and sun

Xayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post

Just imagine if they had been kept around long enough to have a lithium ion or better battery pack...

more unlikely still, just imagine morlock ever had any idea what he was talking about when his cockholster swings open to accept the rapidly approaching foot.