General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

brfatal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
Stephen Colbert really isn't funny. Jon Stewart is way funnier.

Both are equally boring. Though I will admit that I think that on a single occasion I may have smirked at one of Stewart's jokes.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1

Just imagine if they had been kept around long enough to have a lithium ion or better battery pack...

You do realize that electirc cars predate the EV1? You do realize that only a few idiots wanted that piece of shit? And that it was not going to save the planet?
YOu do realize the "documentary" you wikied to makes Micheal Moore cry because he didn't get to do it?

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan8869 View Post
they are building really efficient solar plants that don't use any photo voltaic materials (only chemicals they use are water)

its really quite an ingenious idea, use mirrors and the sun to heat water til it steams, use steam to power turbines. Only thing needed is water and sun

They have systems that use salt as well, and the salt gets so hot that they can store the molten salt in giant thermoses and then run the turbines off that at night or when the clouds come out.

http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/...power-in-salt/

Patriotic Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post

I'm talking about TODAY. The US government, with a black head of state, is not pushing the drug war to imprison more black people.

He doesn't have to, he just has to let the system continue as is, which he mostly has. There are lots of policies harmful to people of color the US government carries out and having a black President hasn't changed any of that.

Patriotic Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeLLFiRe View Post
Because you believe that Liberal social and economic policies have all been beneficial for America? Continually raising minimum wage has been disastrous for America. Twelve million illegal aliens has been disastrous for America. Forcing banks to provide loans to unqualified people has been disastrous for America. Forcing oil companies into deep water drilling and foreign dependency has been disastrous for America. Free health care and taxpayer subsidized education for illegal aliens at the expense of everyone else hasn't been good either for America. Liberals have proven that they will do anything for votes, even destroy the very fabric of this country to get and maintain control. Just about every policy they have come up with works like a ponzi scheme. It all looked good on paper as long as the population kept growing and wages continually increased but as soon as the baby boomers grew up it all unraveled.
Sometimes the Right is no better, for example maintaining military bases all over the world to provide defense for countries that are bleeding us dry (korea, Japan, Philippines, Germany, England and 58 other countries). In twenty years, our country will look like a slum from India as long as the same policies are maintained.

lmao

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
You do realize that electirc cars predate the EV1? You do realize that only a few idiots wanted that piece of shit? And that it was not going to save the planet?
YOu do realize the "documentary" you wikied to makes Micheal Moore cry because he didn't get to do it?

Well it's sure as shit not going to save anything when they won't even let you own one.

Yeah, nobody wanted it back in 1999 because gas was still well under two bucks a gallon. We were still in our SUV craze. Now if there had been an affordable, reliable electric car on the market when gas hit $5 per gallon, do you think it would have been just as undesirable?

Have you heard about the Chevy Volt? Consumer interest in this car has been very high even though it has been complete vaporware for the past few years and even when they do finally make it they will probably only make a couple thousand, just to say they did. It will be the hybrid yukon BS all over again. Make three of them, show them off at car shows, and call it a day. The only reason GM might even be partially serious about it this time is because of Tesla, Toyota, Nissan and others actually taking this shit seriously this time around.

See: Nissan Leaf
http://green.autoblog.com/tag/nissan+leaf+sales/
See also: Tesla model S
http://www.teslamotors.com/models/

MuffinMan8869

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
They have systems that use salt as well, and the salt gets so hot that they can store the molten salt in giant thermoses and then run the turbines off that at night or when the clouds come out.

http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/...power-in-salt/

i remember seeing something on nation geo or discovery about the salt system. I was under the impression that they havn't fixed the whole "sometimes the salt gets too cold and turns into a solid" problem.

if they have that is awesome. while not solar, i was reading recently about a new breakthrough in wind power with vertical blades instead of horizontal, so they no longer need to be adjusted into the wind (not a new technology, the breakthrough was the power/wind ratio.. now its more efficient and almost comparable to horizonal wind mills)

again, a combo of wind, hydro, solar and nuclear can solve our electrical energy needs easily.

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
i remember seeing something on nation geo or discovery about the salt system. I was under the impression that they havn't fixed the whole "sometimes the salt gets too cold and turns into a solid" problem.

if they have that is awesome. while not solar, i was reading recently about a new breakthrough in wind power with vertical blades instead of horizontal, so they no longer need to be adjusted into the wind (not a new technology, the breakthrough was the power/wind ratio.. now its more efficient and almost comparable to horizonal wind mills)

again, a combo of wind, hydro, solar and nuclear can solve our electrical energy needs easily.

the frogs are using a modified form of the US salt based system. Using a thick liquid instead IIRC.

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
seeing that france is smaller than texas, there are different power requirements. also, france has a far denser population,
Funny how that argument doesn't work the other way when Europeans say that Americans need to give up large vehicles with powerful motors, (try using a little go-cart with a roof for a 70 mile round trip work commute through hilly/mountainous areas and with heavy cargo truck traffic) and have universal healthcare.

America needs more nuclear plants to maintain our high-tech society while we wean ourselves off the dino. It CAN be done safely...even the Russians learned their lesson at Chernobyl.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
doing something stupid and pissing everything away is not Progress. Progressive is currently a buzzword to make idiots bob their head up and down in agreement with drivel being shoveled out. Now dont let your head fall off there with overzealous bobbing. I hear it's not to firmly attached.

You can be conservative and make progress. Conservative does not equal reactionary. So yes if you are not merely using Progressive as a buzzword conservatives can be progressive.