General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
As opposed to what?

As opposed to not watching something just because you want to see someone else bleed in a barbaric fashion?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsiholic View Post
If I see another skinny 15 year old boy with a TapOut shirt

In Canada they say "TapOot".

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

you want kung fu?

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
As opposed to not watching something just because you want to see someone else bleed in a barbaric fashion?

lern2read

The point is this thing most of you call barbaric and all that other shit is pretty much nothing new and groundbreaking, and it's always been there in some shape or form. Pro wrestling being a relatively new "sport", and there's a century of boxing.

When it comes to wrestling, they blade, and when you're out there doing like fucking 200 shows a year because Vince said so, you're on the juice and it shows. Fuck, a professional soldier probably has a longer lifespan than a pro wrestler.

Pretty much the same with boxing with the exception that sometimes you live to become a stuttering shell of a human being. It's a very brutal sport when it comes to being a pro and prize fighting. No denying that.

It's nothing new, and just because some of you bitches feel the need to cry over some douche wearing a tapout shirt.... yeah.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

bring back gladiatorial games and encourage hardened convicts to kill each other in yankees stadium

boom, no more prison industry complex, no more prison crowding, no more wasted tax dollars...

search your heart, you know this to be true.

Golf(e)

Is this the "age of the warrior" because MMA is a fad? What? Why is this in the pit?

Muay thai and jui jitsu are great forms of self defense and can be very effective, im not sure why that would even be up for debate...

this thread sucks
And motion soared in every direction, causing a tidal wave of thought to crash dumbly through walls, and made passageways where previously was occupied by the stillness of mathematics in its purest manifestation of white reflection on white backdrop

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
lern2read

The point is this thing most of you call barbaric and all that other shit is pretty much nothing new and groundbreaking, and it's always been there in some shape or form. Pro wrestling being a relatively new "sport", and there's a century of boxing.

When it comes to wrestling, they blade, and when you're out there doing like fucking 200 shows a year because Vince said so, you're on the juice and it shows. Fuck, a professional soldier probably has a longer lifespan than a pro wrestler.

Pretty much the same with boxing with the exception that sometimes you live to become a stuttering shell of a human being. It's a very brutal sport when it comes to being a pro and prize fighting. No denying that.

It's nothing new, and just because some of you bitches feel the need to cry over some douche wearing a tapout shirt.... yeah.

I was speaking for him. If you read the thread you'd realize I used to train as a boxer. In any case, people who watch UFC that know fuck all about martial arts and are doing so for blood are being barbaric in a way. Same goes for boxing, same goes for professional wrestling.

Skyring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf(e) View Post
Is this the "age of the warrior" because MMA is a fad? What? Why is this in the pit?

Muay thai and jui jitsu are great forms of self defense and can be very effective, im not sure why that would even be up for debate...

this thread sucks

Then where the fuck does it go? Really some suggestion would be nice, never really done much here...

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:
I was speaking for him. If you read the thread you'd realize I used to train as a boxer. In any case, people who watch UFC that know fuck all about martial arts and are doing so for blood are being barbaric in a way. Same goes for boxing, same goes for professional wrestling.

Ah. I missed the context on the megaquote. But yes, I did notice the part about boxing, I just was confused are you making a distinction between the two...

Xayd

boxing is a sport.

contests where participants commonly change their names for marketing purposes are not.

this includes MMA, professional wrestling, nascar. seeing the pattern?

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Ah. I missed the context on the megaquote. But yes, I did notice the part about boxing, I just was confused are you making a distinction between the two...

Not exactly. The point I was trying to make was that people who are interested in combat sports because they're interested IN THE SPORT are totally fine. For example, because I used to train as a boxer when I was younger (I wasn't interested in brain damage, but I did the workout, bag work, and light sparring) I can watch a boxing match and be interested in it for the technical merit of what they're doing. To a lesser extent, I can with MMA. However, a lot of people know jack shit about it and watch it avidly, probably because the sight of blood excites them. To me, that's a bit primordial. I hope that clarifies what I was getting at.

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayd View Post
boxing is a sport.

contests where participants commonly change their names for marketing purposes are not.

this includes MMA, professional wrestling, nascar. seeing the pattern?

People add monikors all the time in boxing as well, it's no different than MMA in that regard.

Straw Man
RuHo

Quote:
Not exactly. The point I was trying to make was that people who are interested in combat sports because they're interested IN THE SPORT are totally fine. For example, because I used to train as a boxer when I was younger (I wasn't interested in brain damage, but I did the workout, bag work, and light sparring) I can watch a boxing match and be interested in it for the technical merit of what they're doing. To a lesser extent, I can with MMA. However, a lot of people know jack shit about it and watch it avidly, probably because the sight of blood excites them. To me, that's a bit primordial. I hope that clarifies what I was getting at.

Yeah, that's true. No arguing that. Not to always compare it to boxing, but sometimes the renessaince of boxing is just like that, too. Ali was the kind of guy that people tuned in to see in hopes of seeing his fucking mouth being punched shut. Tyson was the kind of guy that people tuned in to see because what was to be expected is a swift brutalisation of some schmuck who looks scared shitless even before the bell.

But like you, I have an "excuse" too. I know a lot about the sport and I was a fan before it became a reality TV show

Xayd

which is why you see that renaissance of boxing in the welterweight/middleweight divisions. since ali left the heavyweight division has been nothing but bloody gimmicks. there aren't alot of brawl type fights in the lower weight classes, which is all boxing fans care about at this point.

i mean, you don't pay for a floyd mayweather fight looking for him to knock someone else out or get knocked out. cause it's not gonna happen in all likelihood.

Skyring

MMA is vastly more technical than regular boxing IMO but they are indeed two very different sports, its like comparing drag racing to motoGP or formula 1. Not the same idea surrounding the end results