General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Xayd
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyring View Post
MMA is vastly more technical than regular boxing IMO

no, it isn't. look at how many pro wrestlers have switched to MMA.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:18 AM Xayd is offline  
Reply With Quote
#31  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayd View Post
no, it isn't. look at how many pro wrestlers have switched to MMA.

How exactly is that supposed to counter the point that MMA is more technical? People are switching from the WWE because they want money and competition. The ones that have been successfully generally had a background in another martial art. Brock Lesnar was a national champion and multiple All-American wrestler in college.

If MMA was such a joke sport, we'd been seeing lots of mid-level boxers coming over and cleaning up. That hasn't happened.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:22 AM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#32  

Skyring
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
How exactly is that supposed to counter the point that MMA is more technical? People are switching from the WWE because they want money and competition. The ones that have been successfully generally had a background in another martial art. Brock Lesnar was a national champion and multiple All-American wrestler in college.

If MMA was such a joke sport, we'd been seeing lots of mid-level boxers coming over and cleaning up. That hasn't happened.

Thank you sir, you said that much more eloquently than I would have lol. "Fucking idiot" would have sufficed for my taste
__________________
Doomy dooom dooom doooom doom - GIR
Old 08-06-2010, 12:15 PM Skyring is offline  
Reply With Quote
#33  

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
If monster truck racing was such a joke sport, we'd be seeing lots of mid-level F1 drivers coming over and cleaning up. that hasn't happened.
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323
Old 08-06-2010, 01:13 PM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#34  

Xayd
 
If dog fighting was such a joke sport, we'd be seeing mid level iditarod sled teams coming over and cleaning up, that hasn't happened.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:02 AM Xayd is offline  
Reply With Quote
#35  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayd View Post
no, it isn't. look at how many pro wrestlers have switched to MMA.

How many do you exactly know that have done it succesfully? I bet you can name one. Perhaps two if you take out the succesful out of the equation. Besides, out of all the pro wrestlers that have gone MMA, most have a vast experience in amateur wrestling. Pro wrestling has little to nothing to do with it, with of course the exception of being 265 pounds of steroidmeat (which is hard to come by in any sport).
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 08-07-2010, 06:24 AM Straw Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
#36  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayd View Post
If dog fighting was such a joke sport, we'd be seeing mid level iditarod sled teams coming over and cleaning up, that hasn't happened.

You're pretty stupid.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:26 AM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#37  

Xayd
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
How many do you exactly know that have done it succesfully? I bet you can name one. Perhaps two if you take out the succesful out of the equation. Besides, out of all the pro wrestlers that have gone MMA, most have a vast experience in amateur wrestling. Pro wrestling has little to nothing to do with it, with of course the exception of being 265 pounds of steroidmeat (which is hard to come by in any sport).

this agent lists a 'top 20'. one can only assume that if there is a 'top 20' there must be more than 20.

edit: later in that the author states "nearly 50".

Last edited by Xayd; 08-07-2010 at 09:09 AM..
Old 08-07-2010, 09:04 AM Xayd is offline  
Reply With Quote
#38  

Xayd
 
if MMA were such a joke sport, we'd be seeing pro wrestlers come over and...oh wait.

Last edited by Xayd; 08-07-2010 at 09:09 AM..
Old 08-07-2010, 09:04 AM Xayd is offline  
Reply With Quote
#39  

SemperFly
 
SemperFly's Avatar
 
boxing is a joke sport

oh wait, no it's not. it's not a sport. it's a fight, just like mma/ufc crap

just like nascar and f1 aren't sports. they're traffic.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:09 AM SemperFly is offline  
Reply With Quote
#40  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayd View Post
this agent lists a 'top 20'. one can only assume that if there is a 'top 20' there must be more than 20.

edit: later in that the author states "nearly 50".

Yes, but just because some pro wrestler makes a transition to MMA, or does both, doesn't mean they're actually any good in MMA.

Most of the guys in that list are either:
-MMA guys who went to pro wrestling, or did both at the same time to make ends meet
-amateur wrestlers/shoot wrestlers and jap wrestling is a different beast than WWE
-hasbeens and neverweres

I mean ...the dude listed Ludvig Borga (Tony Halme). He even got that part wrong, he went 0-4 in MMA and sucked major ass. If anything, that's an argument FOR MMA, not against it. Oddly enough, Halme did have some minor successes in boxing, but absolutely nothing in MMA. The guys on the list like Shamrock and Severn became known for MMA for the most part, before their pro wrestling stints. Shamrock worked prowrestling before his japanese mma stuff, but I think it's safe to argue he is a fighter first and pro wrestler second. The two really intertwine(d) in japan.

Outside Japan (and japanese pro wrestling is a whole different beast), there are only a handful of guys that are really succesful at MMA and can be considered to have a pro wrestling background. Lesnar being one and I guess Bobby Lashley. Both are pretty good amateur wrestlers though, and Lashley seems to avoid all the fights he might have a possibility of losing
It should be said though, that the amateur wrestling helps and both have put a lot of work into MMA. Not like they just quit WWE and started being MMA pros the next day.

Pro wrestlers can be good in MMA (mostly HW's), mostly because of their athleticism. That's about it.
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 08-07-2010, 11:44 AM Straw Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
#41  

Skyring
 
Just a thought that is a little more on track with my original idea. What about Kimbo Slice?
__________________
Doomy dooom dooom doooom doom - GIR
Old 08-07-2010, 12:03 PM Skyring is offline  
Reply With Quote
#42  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyring View Post
Just a thought that is a little more on track with my original idea. What about Kimbo Slice?

What about him? Terrible MMA fighter, brought into the UFC to sell an assload of tickets and spike TV advertising time because some people like a crack nigga that beats up fat people in some Miami backyard.
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 08-07-2010, 12:05 PM Straw Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
#43  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayd View Post
if MMA were such a joke sport, we'd be seeing pro wrestlers come over and...oh wait.

Pro wrestling used to be the only way anyone with a non-boxing history could make any money in a vaguely athletic context. Now they can do MMA. Just because they had to work in a fraud "sport" like pro wrestling the past doesn't mean they can't be a talented athlete and learn how to fight for real.

In summary, you're still an idiot. Do you even HAVE a point other than "LOLOLOLOL MMA ?"
Old 08-07-2010, 02:21 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#44  

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
You're pretty stupid.

Normally I would agree with you on that. But the point is you made a lame fucking non argument and it got raped with a different competition substituted.
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323
Old 08-07-2010, 04:58 PM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#45  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:41 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.