General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Xayd
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
What about him? Terrible MMA fighter, brought into the UFC to sell an assload of tickets and spike TV advertising time because some people like a crack nigga that beats up fat people in some Miami backyard.

which wouldn't fly in boxing. as soon as he saw mediocre competition he'd get beaten, and wind up forgotten.

MMA has no barrier to entry, because the marketing gimmicks are more important than the sport itself, just like pro wrestling.

no one with less than ~15 professional fights gets to box on HBO, on the other hand.

when you cheapen the sport by letting gimmick competition in, your credibility is gone.

kimbo slice exposed UFC and their associated tv producers for exactly what they are...glorified pro wrestling promoters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Pro wrestling used to be the only way anyone with a non-boxing history could make any money in a vaguely athletic context. Now they can do MMA.

thanks for agreeing with me, that's precisely my point.

Last edited by Xayd; 08-07-2010 at 08:00 PM..
Old 08-07-2010, 07:52 PM Xayd is offline  
Reply With Quote
#46  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayd View Post
which wouldn't fly in boxing. as soon as he saw mediocre competition he'd get beaten, and wind up forgotten.
You mean like what happened with Kimbo?

Yeah............

Quote:
MMA has no barrier to entry, because the marketing gimmicks are more important than the sport itself, just like pro wrestling.

no one with less than ~15 professional fights gets to box on HBO, on the other hand.

when you cheapen the sport by letting gimmick competition in, your credibility is gone.

kimbo slice exposed UFC and their associated tv producers for exactly what they are...glorified pro wrestling promoters.
UFC is far from the sum total of MMA.

Kimbo never got a particularly meaningful fight, he just got a lot of press and hype. It wasn't like he came on and got a title shot.

Lesnar got a title shot earlier than many believed he should have, but the heavyweight division is just weak right now. You won't see anything like that in the (many) stronger divisions, and it's not like Lesnar is just some chump off the street anyway.

Quote:
thanks for agreeing with me, that's precisely my point.
If MMA had been a money sport ten years ago, these people never would have gone to pro wrestling. Your "point" has nothing to do with the quality of the sport or the skills of the fighters, just where the money happened to have been.

All boxing has over MMA is a longer history. And given the recent history of boxing, it's not surprising to see MMA take its place in the sporting pantheon.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:10 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#47  

Xayd
 
the sum of MMA isn't looking very good, fanbase wise.

CBS's ratings for MMA events are down 40% versus last year. they're behind law and order reruns on NBC.

showtime is drawing sub 500k viewers for the same events.

UFC barely cracking a million on spiketv.

for comparison the cotto/foreman fight on HBO, which is hampered by being pay TV of course and which had cotto against a fairly unknown opponent in a non title fight, drew about 2 million.

hell, the mayweather/mosley fight, which no one wanted, mosley was a substitute for pacquiao, drew 1.4 million on PPV, more than the average UFC event is pulling on basic cable.

the fad is passing...

Last edited by Xayd; 08-08-2010 at 12:03 AM..
Old 08-07-2010, 11:56 PM Xayd is offline  
Reply With Quote
#48  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayd View Post
which wouldn't fly in boxing. as soon as he saw mediocre competition he'd get beaten, and wind up forgotten.

MMA has no barrier to entry, because the marketing gimmicks are more important than the sport itself, just like pro wrestling.

no one with less than ~15 professional fights gets to box on HBO, on the other hand.

when you cheapen the sport by letting gimmick competition in, your credibility is gone.

kimbo slice exposed UFC and their associated tv producers for exactly what they are...glorified pro wrestling promoters.

Kimbo fighting (or Herschel Walker and Jose Canseco for that matter) hardly as anything to do with competitive MMA, or competing with the UFC. Considering the UFC never made a point of promoting Kimbo as a serious fighter in contention for any title (perhaps elite XC did that before they went bankrupt). It's hardly throwing in gimmick competition when no one expects them to...well, compete?

Infact, what you're suggesting is equal to saying boxing has no credibility because there's celebrity boxing and Vanilla Ice participated.

PS. UFC isn't synonymous with MMA, and people who make such distinctions are probably unfamiliar with both.
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 08-08-2010, 05:59 AM Straw Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
#49  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayd View Post
the sum of MMA isn't looking very good, fanbase wise.

CBS's ratings for MMA events are down 40% versus last year. they're behind law and order reruns on NBC.

showtime is drawing sub 500k viewers for the same events.

UFC barely cracking a million on spiketv.

for comparison the cotto/foreman fight on HBO, which is hampered by being pay TV of course and which had cotto against a fairly unknown opponent in a non title fight, drew about 2 million.

hell, the mayweather/mosley fight, which no one wanted, mosley was a substitute for pacquiao, drew 1.4 million on PPV, more than the average UFC event is pulling on basic cable.

the fad is passing...

That's conventiently forgetting that UFC puts out PPV's about once a month, and infact forgetting that besides the shit reality TV show (boxing tried that before UFC and that didn't go very well did it?) and some lower quality freebies on versus 2, UFC is pretty much always PPV. It's hardly fair you compare that to the one or two actual worthwhile boxing PPV's a year. Let alone you comparing those numbers to some spike TV free broadcast where they air some prelim fights no one really even cares about all that much.

At least you have some point in the average joe watching less and less of CBS's/Showtime's Strikeforce blunders, but I'd guess that has more to do with Strikeforce being pretty fucking icomptetent in everything.


Besides, UFC is very agressive in everything. They show some UFC events for free later down the road, but it's 100% counterprogramming Strikeforce, or any other sporting event they think they can steal viewers from.
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 08-08-2010, 06:11 AM Straw Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
#50  

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
If you hold the iPhone just right you can make calls just like other phones. And it's stylish(really it's not just teh gay)
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323
Old 08-08-2010, 09:20 AM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#51  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
If you hold the iPhone just right you can make calls just like other phones. And it's stylish(really it's not just teh gay)

Do you actually know what point you're trying to make, or are you just being a douche?
Old 08-08-2010, 10:12 AM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#52  

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Do you actually know what point you're trying to make, or are you just being a douche?

Just posting in a Pit fanboi thread.
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323
Old 08-08-2010, 10:18 AM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#53  

Skyring
 
One of the things that really got me thinking about all of this is the amount of local fights I have seen. I work as a sound tech and stage guy (these events are easy) and C3 fights have been doing ALOT in and around Oklahoma of all places which makes me wonder are they running out of places to go or is it just popular enough to make it to BFE
__________________
Doomy dooom dooom doooom doom - GIR
Old 08-09-2010, 02:38 AM Skyring is offline  
Reply With Quote
#54  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Do you actually know what point you're trying to make, or are you just being a douche?

This is a very interesting question.
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 08-09-2010, 04:06 PM Straw Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
#55  

Gibonius
 
On the topic of boxers coming over to MMA, James Toney got completely owned last night. Granted he's 42 and was fighting a pretty skilled (if also old as dirt) fighter, but he looked 100% clueless about how to fight mixed martial arts.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:37 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#56  

poosh
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
On the topic of boxers coming over to MMA, James Toney got completely owned last night. Granted he's 42 and was fighting a pretty skilled (if also old as dirt) fighter, but he looked 100% clueless about how to fight mixed martial arts.

James toney didnt show up to fight, he showed up to collect a paycheck. As evidenced by him coming in at his highest career weight. A better example would be a 40 something year old ex-boxing champ Michael Moorer, knocking out Tim sylvia in like 10 seconds.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:48 PM poosh is offline  
Reply With Quote
#57  

SemperFly
 
SemperFly's Avatar
 
jesus fucking christ this whole thread is retarded, starting with the title

MMA fighter are not "warriors" unless after their fights they actually go out and do some fucking warrioring. fighting for money with rules and regulations does not make one a warrior. some people argue whether or not it makes one an athlete (I think they qualify) but a warrior? ninja please. it's like saying linebackers are warriors.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:58 PM SemperFly is offline  
Reply With Quote
#58  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by poosh View Post
James toney didnt show up to fight, he showed up to collect a paycheck. As evidenced by him coming in at his highest career weight. A better example would be a 40 something year old ex-boxing champ Michael Moorer, knocking out Tim sylvia in like 10 seconds.
Actually, what you suggest is an even worse example.

-It was Ray Mercer
-It was supposed to be a stand up fight either way, not really a MMA fight though it was sanctioned as one
-Sylvia came in at like 320 pounds, not like he was overtly athletic at 265 either

If you're going to say an overweight boxer doesn't make for a good example, don't make similar examples out of Tim fucking Sylvia (of all the people in the world)
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 10-26-2010, 12:15 AM Straw Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
#59  

Bukkakeboy
 
Bukkakeboy's Avatar
 
mma fighters are like boxers, they are pugilists.

But yes, I would really like xayd to succinctly post what his stance on boxing vs mma is. And do it properly, not gibbering shit like "lol mma is like wwf, boxing ownz"
__________________
fuck IRL

this is the internet... and someone is WRONG on it

-Tongboy
Old 10-26-2010, 09:45 AM Bukkakeboy is offline  
Reply With Quote
#60  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:38 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.