General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

foamy

North korea fires on south

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11818005

Oh shit

Quote:
South Korea says it has returned fire after North Korea fired around 200 artillery shells onto one of its border islands, reportedly killing one marine.

The South's military was placed on its highest non-wartime alert after the shells landed on Yeonpyeong island.

North Korea has not yet commented on the incident, in which three marines and two civilians were also injured.

Correspondents say this is one of the most serious since the Korean War ended without a peace treaty in 1953.

There have been occasional cross-border clashes since, but the latest incident comes at a time of rising regional tension.

North Korea's reclusive leader Kim Jong-il is believed to be ill and trying to engineer the succession of his youngest son. And on Saturday, North Korea showed off what it claimed was a new uranium enrichment facility - potentially giving it a second route to a nuclear weapon.

The move prompted the US special representative for North Korea, Stephen Bosworth, to rule out the resumption of six-party talks on resolving the nuclear issue.

South Korean presidential spokesman Kim Hee-jung also said it was investigating a possible link between the artillery attack and recent maritime exercises near the western sea border earlier on Tuesday.
I'm assuming the north will be leaned on by china to prevent another war?

Why are china hanging onto them for an allie when its probally doing more harm for them than good?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Both sides gain from minor skirmishes, and neither one probably can't fathom the idea of full scale war.

Sounds like everyone wins except the few that die/get injured.

tanner9072

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11818005

Oh shit

I'm assuming the north will be leaned on by china to prevent another war?

Why are china hanging onto them for an allie when its probally doing more harm for them than good?

the only reason (that i can see) for china to hang on to NK is because NK serves as a buffer state between China and South Korea. i'm pretty sure that China realizes that they need to apply more political pressure on NK in order to prevent them from doing something stupid, such as detonating one of their (very low quality) nukes. while detonating a nuke may not necessarily start another world war, it will in fact cause massive instability in the world market as people's anxieties about the current state of international affairs increase. and realizing that china has experienced ~9% annual growth in GDP for the past decade or so means that china does not want any changes to take place that may upset the current system of growth.

i anticipate that this whole event will soon fizzle out, as it is just another attempt by NK to flex their international muscles.

Rapier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner9072 View Post
the only reason (that i can see) for china to hang on to NK is because NK serves as a buffer state between China and South Korea. i'm pretty sure that China realizes that they need to apply more political pressure on NK in order to prevent them from doing something stupid, such as detonating one of their (very low quality) nukes. while detonating a nuke may not necessarily start another world war, it will in fact cause massive instability in the world market as people's anxieties about the current state of international affairs increase. and realizing that china has experienced ~9% annual growth in GDP for the past decade or so means that china does not want any changes to take place that may upset the current system of growth.

i anticipate that this whole event will soon fizzle out, as it is just another attempt by NK to flex their international muscles.
China's policy circles are growing increasingly frustrated with North Korea's bellicosity. There have been a few who openly question North Korea's value to the PRC. It's really a bunch of old hardliners from the communist days (back when the Chinese Communist Party was actually communist) that are maintaining the status quo.

I imagine the North's nuclear weapons program is especially grating. Because that will be the catalyst for the nuclearization of both South Korea and Japan (both of which have the technology and infrastructure to create high quality nuclear warheads AND delivery systems), something that China wants to avoid at all cost. And that's something that will happen when Seoul and Tokyo think that the American nuclear umbrella is no longer sufficient to safeguard their interests.

It's hard to see what North Korea gains from this. The whole situation is on a knife's edge, and it can take just one act for the situation to come to a head.