General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
Loving the typical americunt kneejerk response to everything, keep it up guys

By the way, for those who like to talk about schizophrenics and other loonies and taking away their (second amendment) rights, have you considered not everyone gets diagnosed and/or treated, and if you start withdrawing rights it will make even less favourable for anyone to actively seek help?
It scares me to sorta agree with a Finfag, but..

Yeah, it's a slippery slope when we start talking about beefing up what goes on background checks and taking away rights.What if nonsensical ramblings on a stupid message board were enough to declare a person mentally unstable? If that were the case then none of us here would ever be able to board a plane, get a passport, buy a gun, etc..

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Runding

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
Hopefully the only change that comes out of this is better reporting to and updating of the background check mechanism. If the background check info was more thorough then it might have caught this guy and the guy in the virginia tech shooting without interfering with the legitimate right of others without mental issues to own firearms.

unfortunately, both of them could have gone out and purchased a firearm privately without a background check after being denied in a shop. the only way around that would be to mandate background checks for private gun purchases.

Other than that there's not much you can do because there is no way to guarantee absolute safety against crazy people in a free and open society.

For sure, dude.

Although stricter background checks are absolutely necessary, they still don't guarantee guns don't find themselves in the hands of a nut. I'm no psychologist, but I'm sure that many disorders aren't easily found unless a doctor is actually interviewing or performing tests, so it will never be on a background check. Poor areas where doctors can't be afforded, or even schools that don't realize a child has a disorder won't help the situation at all. Heck, even if they have a run in with the cops, unless they commit a felony chances are they won't be blacklisted either.

What a friggin' debacle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
Loving the typical americunt kneejerk response to everything, keep it up guys

What kind of POS land are you from?

tanner9072

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
So...having more bullets allowed him to kill and wound more people. No way he gets six kills with six shots, and he certainly doesn't wound (which includes shooting the Congresswoman through the brain, which may never heal) 14 more.

ok, so lets illegalize extended magazines. now he just carries an extra gun. so now we must illegalize having more than one gun. (i'm not saying that this is what you're implying, i just think it's a slippery slope that never actually resolves anything.)

teh scud

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilliam54 View Post
These events are just an unavoidable part of living in a large society. Unfortunately.
This statement is only true if you allow people to own guns. America is probably too far down the hole to turn around now, but we have countries like Japan that are much safer because people just don't have guns.

I think we need to move toward having less guns around. We obviously can't take away everybody's guns, but the idea that everybody should arm themselves is just stupid. Being required to carry a weapon is not my idea of feeling safe in a modern society.

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner9072 View Post
ok, so lets illegalize extended magazines. now he just carries an extra gun. so now we must illegalize having more than one gun. (i'm not saying that this is what you're implying, i just think it's a slippery slope that never actually resolves anything.)

Extended magazines were illegal for a long time, since the ban was lifted, we've had two mass shooting featuring handguns with extended magazines. There appears to be something compelling about them to crazies, vs just carrying a couple guns.

What's the real benefit to legitimate civilian users for these things, other than "I don't want to reload as often at the range"?

Disarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh scud View Post
This statement is only true if you allow people to own guns. America is probably too far down the hole to turn around now, but we have countries like Japan that are much safer because people just don't have guns.

Don't bother with this argument. People will simply tell you that knives are far more dangerous than guns. Which I don't think is true but it's mentioned every single time someone brings this up.

For the record, I don't believe at all in disarming US citizens. Doing it now would cause more harm than good.

Last edited by Disarm; 01-13-2011 at 09:49 AM..

Runding

Quote:
Extended magazines were illegal for a long time, since the ban was lifted, we've had two mass shooting featuring handguns with extended magazines. There appears to be something compelling about them to crazies, vs just carrying a couple guns.

What's the real benefit to legitimate civilian users for these things, other than "I don't want to reload as often at the range"?

You know, even while the ban was in effect, mass shootings happened. Remember Columbine? It doesn't matter if they have extended mags. People can have multiple guns at the same time.

JCviggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuzzyArchon View Post
having no guns gives the government too much power as they are the only ones with them

Do you really think in this day and age anybody needs guns to defend themselves against the monster of government? All I see happen is a bunch of fat people whining with mis-spelt signs.

The government are the only ones with nuclear warheads as well, what can you do about that.

Making it a right to bear arms has not had any positive effect on anything. Not crime, nor accidents. Just created statistics that are in line with most undeveloped countries.

But hey, it's something to be "proud" of and most certainly too late to change anything now.

topcat989

Quote:

this time he was caught trying to change mags. If he had practiced just a minimal amount, it takes only a split second to drop an empty mag and slap a new one in. In other words, with a few hours (or less) of practice, I can kill just as many or more people with 10 rd mags and not give anyone the opportunity to tackle me during a mag change.

Face it folks, you can't legislate away every single facet of possible harm in life. The gun is not the problem. The extended mag is not the problem. The nutcase is the problem, and the fact that he should have been flagged as a nutcase and therefore been disallowed to legally purchase the gun is the problem. But even after that, he could have gotten one illegally. The price for the 2nd amendment is sometimes a nutcase does something like this. Just like the price of the 1st amendment is tolerating assholes like the westbro church.

I'm sorry for the victims of this shooting, but even their pain should not justify hindering law abiding.

For the "but if it saves one life it's worth it!" crowd, consider this:

The higher the speed limit on freeways the higher the death toll. So lowering the speed limit saves lives. Dropping the limit from 65 to 55 saves thousands of lives a year. Dropping it to 45 would save even more. Dropping the national limit to 35 mph on our freeways would save thousands upon thousands of innocent lives from crushing, firey death! So why don't we do that? Think about it......

topcat989

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCviggen View Post
Making it a right to bear arms has not had any positive effect on anything. Not crime, nor accidents..

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runding View Post
You know, even while the ban was in effect, mass shootings happened. Remember Columbine? It doesn't matter if they have extended mags. People can have multiple guns at the same time.

I accept the fact that we're never going to be able to eliminate mass shootings, given the prevalence of guns and the gun culture in the US. But I don't think throwing our hands up and saying "Mass shooting happen!" is a reason for a free-for-all to give civilians access to any and all levels of weaponry and accessories, especially things that have awfully limited application for conventional civilian use.

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat989 View Post
this time he was caught trying to change mags. If he had practiced just a minimal amount, it takes only a split second to drop an empty mag and slap a new one in. In other words, with a few hours (or less) of practice, I can kill just as many or more people with 10 rd mags and not give anyone the opportunity to tackle me during a mag change.

Face it folks, you can't legislate away every single facet of possible harm in life. The gun is not the problem. The extended mag is not the problem. The nutcase is the problem, and the fact that he should have been flagged as a nutcase and therefore been disallowed to legally purchase the gun is the problem. But even after that, he could have gotten one illegally. The price for the 2nd amendment is sometimes a nutcase does something like this. Just like the price of the 1st amendment is tolerating assholes like the westbro church.
I'm trying to establish the legitimate purpose of those extended magazines. They obviously enable mass shootings (or gang shootings, which we don't hear so much about) to be much more convenient, but where's the real value to a law abiding civilian?

Quote:
The higher the speed limit on freeways the higher the death toll. So lowering the speed limit saves lives. Dropping the limit from 65 to 55 saves thousands of lives a year. Dropping it to 45 would save even more. Dropping the national limit to 35 mph on our freeways would save thousands upon thousands of innocent lives from crushing, firey death! So why don't we do that? Think about it......
Cost/benefit really. Everybody drives and we spend a lot of time doing it. People can choose to drive slower, to take non-highway routes.

There's lots of weird hypocrisy about death in the US, we won't accept even one death from drugs that vastly increase the quality of life of millions, but we'll accept it on the roads.

For this specific scenario, I'm just not seeing what benefit to civilians outweighs the damage these things do in the hands of miscreants. Beyond the level of "restrictions on guns BAD", that is.

tanner9072

Quote:

ok, so two mass shootings with extended magazines...versus every other "mass" shooting that took place while the ban was implemented. How is there any difference? extended magazines or not, there have still been "mass" shootings. And what is the relevance towards defining his possession of an extended magazine? Even if he didn't have an extended magazine, he would have been able to hold around 17 rounds without having to reload. and considering his ratio of # of people wounded/killed to the # of bullets he fired was approximately 2/3 (20 people out of 31 rounds),even if he used a standard magazine, statistically speaking, he still would have killed/wounded ~10-11 people.

And i dont think they have any more appeal to "crazies" than they do to any other lame person who wants to feel like a badass while at the range with his shootin buddies. Unless, you are arguing that those people are in fact the "crazies", which is an entirely different argument.

tanner9072

Quote:
I'm trying to establish the legitimate purpose of those extended magazines. They obviously enable mass shootings (or gang shootings, which we don't hear so much about) to be much more convenient, but where's the real value to a law abiding civilian?

How do they make mass shootings more convenient? more effective maybe

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat989 View Post

yeah, with some practice swapping out mags can happen extremely fast.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video