General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

dio

Are we REALLY destroying the planet?

So there seems to be this reality alot of people live in which is based on a meme that goes something like 'we are destroying and polluting the planet and making it inhabitable'. The people who live in that reality talk about it like it is just a given. They say 'we are destroying our planet' and images of oil spills, plastic filled oceans, clearcut forests, miles of garbage landfill, miles of of rivers polluted by landfill etc. run through their brain. If someone says 'how are we destroying the planet?' they will just stare dumbfounded, thinking the other is so stupid because they don't have all these same terrible images of oil spills and landfills in their mind.

Certainly there are spots of the ocean filled with plastic, obviously there have been some fucked up oilspills, obviously alot of landfill. But are we really DESTROYING the planet?

It bothers me that people who live in this reality of 'we are destroying the planet' their solution always tends to be 'STOP', just stop, who needs what we've done? Such people never seem to be going to college, or learning any form of engineering or chemistry in order to get into a position of actually doing something. Like inventing new forms of biodegradable plastic, new manufacturing processes that produce fewer by products etc. None of them are ever opening new businesses that only source products from more earth friendly sources to prove such business models are effective. They are just saying 'STOP'. Then in some way choosing not to fully integrate themselves into society or take advantage of all society offers them because 'society is doing it wrong'. They are like a toddler who threatens to hold their breath and pass out until they get there way.

This really just begs the question in my mind are we really destroying the planet? How can these people who live in this 'we are destroying the planet' reality, how can they be certain we actually are. Oil spills, landfills and clearcut forests are no sure-signifier that we are destroying the planet. IS the planet CHANGING? Perhaps. But is it getting to the point where we will, in our life, see it become uninhabitable? I really don't think so.

Any 'entity' produces 'shit'. Worms shit, birds shit, people shit. Large organizations of people produce more shit. And obviously, our cities shit. Big cities produce big piles of shit. We can't avoid the relation between size of entity and size of shit, its expected that cities produce alot of shit. Its just the nature of beast.

The main thing that makes me dissent so much from 'we are destroying the planet' type people is their solution. Which their solution always seems to be 'just stop'. Not do anything intelligent to lessen the way society impacts the enviroment like developing/advancing new technologies. But just stop, its like they are unsatisfied with their existence and instead of taking ownership of their life, they just want a place to put the blame for them being incapable of bringing their life to where they want it. And saying the earth is greatest thing we have, and culture fucks up the earth, so fuck culture I won't fully participate is just a really easy excuse for them to not have to take ownership of their life while simultaneously feeling like they are doing 'noble' for the 'earth'.

I mean even if we truly are destroying the earth, the solution isn't to try to demolish society to save the earth. The solution is to transcend the duality of earth friendly and non-earth friendly society, by developing new technological advances in society that will make it earth friendly. The solution is never to choose just one side of a duality, the solution is to transcend the duality through unity.

Last edited by dio; 06-10-2011 at 03:53 PM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Forever Domon

I love empty threads.

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Environment yes, planet no. The "planet" is indifferent to whats happening on it's skin....kinda like an alligator isn't worried about mosquitos.

I'm not even gonna bother with the "transcendent duality' nonsense..

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Sabbster]#
I have a huge penis.

It'll buff out

Phil Taylor
I'll be back

all i know is that if you chop down a million miles of rain forest, the world is somehow not as beautiful as it was before.

nigga, you just made me click "go advanced"...

dio

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
Environment yes, planet no. The "planet" is indifferent to whats happening on it's skin....kinda like an alligator isn't worried about mosquitos.

I'm not even gonna bother with the "transcendent duality' nonsense..

not 'transcendent duality'

but rather, the solution is always to transcend any duality. This might sound 'fancy' but its simple, here are some examples.

Its like, one person says black people are better, another says white people are better. To transcend this duality you just realize it doesn't matter what fucking color you are, people are individuals rate them as so.

Some christians believe in heaven and hell, when really you should just transcend that duality and realize the same exact thing happens to everyone when they die.

Some people say Islam is the way, other people say Christianity is the way, transcend that duality to realize there all just systems of metaphorical text written by some dude and can never be the perfect description of 'you' or any individual.

Some people says PS3 is better, some say X360 is better, why argue about? Just transcend that duality and own both damn systems.

Some people say society destroys earth and some people ARE society... transcend that duality by making a society that doesn't destroy the earth.

Really the solution to any and everything can be found meditating on what duality are you creating in your mind that is manifesting this 'struggle' and then figure out how to transcend that duality, as in, see how each sides of the duality are the same, integrated, interconnected, feeding off one another, COMBINE THEM into a single entity.

dio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Taylor View Post
all i know is that if you chop down a million miles of rain forest, the world is somehow not as beautiful as it was before.

This is true, but what solution is there besides complaining?

How about the development of plant based polymers for construction purposes, then we could make sheets of plastic to build houses with out of GM corn and soybeans that grow crazy fast.

I am sure you have never stood infront of a forest with a picket sign saying 'SAVE THE FORESTS'. But whenever I see someone who does that I think WHY ARE YOU STANDING IN FRONT OF A FOREST TO SAVE THE FOREST GO FIGURE OUT TO FIND A WAY SO WE DON'T NEED FORESTS. It's not like people are going to just stop needing new structures because clearcutting is ugly. People who think complaining about such a thing I tend to think just LOVE complaining. There will be a never ending string of trees getting cut down to complain about. They can spend their whole life complaining, they can raise their kids to complain about it and on and on and on for generations they can complain about trees continually being cut down. OR go figure out how to get soy based polymers viable for construction, make a business and starting sell houses made of Soy, then we won't need trees!

I am getting so tired of seeing people complain about things they aren't actually attempting to fix.

dio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
I love empty threads.

My post may be a rant, but generally I just want to discuss the name of the thread 'Are we REALLY destroy the planet?" I mean is there anyone here who really believes society is destroying the planet, and as such has made life decisions to 'shun' society because of that? I want to know whats going through your head.

Golf(e)

Someone please tell me if this is ry goody or not. I cant respond if i dont know
And motion soared in every direction, causing a tidal wave of thought to crash dumbly through walls, and made passageways where previously was occupied by the stillness of mathematics in its purest manifestation of white reflection on white backdrop

zumpiez5
Lasko
<3 yuor sekrat admirer

I don't know what this thread is about, but here is a F'd up link to youtube that might be along the same crazy.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLBE5QAYXp8[/YOUTUBE]

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf(e) View Post
Someone please tell me if this is ry goody or not. I cant respond if i dont know

well in one of his responses to me he said I never contribute anything to his threads. He only had one under the name dio at the time. It's not likely to run into his exact mental doppelganger on the same forum. Take it from there.

Golf(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
well in one of his responses to me he said I never contribute anything to his threads. He only had one under the name dio at the time. It's not likely to run into his exact mental doppelganger on the same forum. Take it from there.
Well he's also "eem" and you were posting in that thread, so..

I just feel like this shit is below ry's high standards
And motion soared in every direction, causing a tidal wave of thought to crash dumbly through walls, and made passageways where previously was occupied by the stillness of mathematics in its purest manifestation of white reflection on white backdrop

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasko View Post
I don't know what this thread is about, but here is a F'd up link to youtube that might be along the same crazy.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLBE5QAYXp8[/YOUTUBE]

blech

Shoot that stupid bitch. the cost to the planet of extracting(trashing the planet) the resources for that bullet is outweighed by the resources saved from keeping that fucking OMGOMGOMGOMG alive.

TheMorlock

Quote:
Well he's also "eem" and you were posting in that thread, so..

What high standards? He just strung enough words in a row correctly that it seems he must be making some kind of sense. And to an idiot or someone off their meds I am sure he would make sense.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

dio

Quote:

I'll admit this wasnt a long meditated post like most things I do, this was a quick spur of the moment rant.