General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you
 
Vendetta's Avatar
 
Someone does not understand evolution and adaptation.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:11 AM Vendetta is offline  
Reply With Quote
#16  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?
 
joemama's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Someone does not understand evolution and adaptation.
I still think he should hitch a ride on the next trip to the space station, and maybe attempt a little space walking wearing nothing more than a diaper.
__________________
Rapid-fire double bass of the GenMay dru[M]mers collective

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v
Old 06-19-2011, 06:34 AM joemama is offline  
Reply With Quote
#17  

Fiah
Sinds ik als transseksuele prostituee bezig ben, heb ik mezelf eindelijk leren accepteren. PM me voo
 
Fiah's Avatar
 
What if I crapped on every thread this fucktard posts?
Old 06-19-2011, 06:41 AM Fiah is offline  
Reply With Quote
#18  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
Now with that said, my prior statement of:
Any species which recognizes an environment as 'home' inherently adapts to a symbiotic relationship with that environment.

It's an unsupported statement because your basic launching point for your argument is not true. Many species will destroy their habitat, to the eventual detriment of themselves. Generally they are constrained by competitive species, but not always.

So, whatever argument you make after a false premise is kind of pointless. There's also the issue that you're assigning intent or guidance to a system which almost certainly does not have such meaning.


But yeah, DRUG PHILOSOPHY WOOOOOOOOO WE HAVE SUCH DEEP FUCKING IDEAS BECAUSE OF DRUGS WOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 06-19-2011, 09:14 AM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#19  

Nevermore
I <3 d4rkme4t
 
Nevermore's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Someone does not understand evolution and adaptation.

and girls will never understand us geeks at teh [m]
__________________
_--_|\
/ #AUZLAND
\_.--._/
.......v
<domisi> i'm not in anyone's sig
\(_o)/ IRC Partay!! \(o_)/
Old 06-19-2011, 09:16 AM Nevermore is offline  
Reply With Quote
#20  

Forever Domon
 
Forever Domon's Avatar
 
you make an awful lot of threads.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:16 AM Forever Domon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#21  

Mooninites
 
Mooninites's Avatar
 
Somewhere, ry is sitting back and laughing at us for feeding him
__________________
Mooninites unite!
Old 06-19-2011, 10:31 AM Mooninites is offline  
Reply With Quote
#22  

Killer_B
 
Killer_B's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Someone does not understand evolution and adaptation.

Did Golf(e) make a dupe account or something?

Or was there some variety of cloning accident somewhere in Rosewell?
__________________
Gen[M]ay. Who needs members? We have mods.

Founding [M]ember of the GENTLY CARESS EA Club.

Then the network comes back up. And then down again. Up... and down. It keeps going down like a Clinton intern.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:08 AM Killer_B is offline  
Reply With Quote
#23  

Fiah
Sinds ik als transseksuele prostituee bezig ben, heb ik mezelf eindelijk leren accepteren. PM me voo
 
Fiah's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooninites View Post
Somewhere, ry is sitting back and laughing at us for feeding him

I doubt it. It must take serious effort to shit out those posts!
Old 06-19-2011, 12:22 PM Fiah is offline  
Reply With Quote
#24  

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Our ancestors down the evolutionary ladder didn't look up in space and think "THATS OUR REAL HOME", probably because it didn't make any fucking sense.

Thats before teh LSD decided to make them smart.
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323
Old 06-19-2011, 12:31 PM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#25  

Sup
 
Sup's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbster]# View Post

lol
__________________
Sup
Old 06-19-2011, 12:33 PM Sup is offline  
Reply With Quote
#26  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooninites View Post
Somewhere, ry is sitting back and laughing at us for feeding him

He might get some satisfaction out of riling so many people up, but I'm like 99.9999% sure he's totally serious about this shit. It's way too consistent and follows the drugged out wacko themes very convincingly.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:12 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#27  

:ninja:
My cooter sweats, and reeks like rotting sea vermon.
 
:ninja:'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Our ancestors down the evolutionary ladder didn't look up in space and think "THATS OUR REAL HOME", probably because it didn't make any fucking sense.

What point are you trying to make? That our ancestors were ignorant? They also looked up at space and thought Earth was the center of the universe. Come on, you're smarter than this.

Scientists today realize the need for humans to leave this planet. If we don't, we can never survive. It's impossible. In a few billion years this solar system will be fucked and incapable of naturally supporting life.

The Earth is not our home. The universe is.
__________________
Use Linux and BSD
Old 06-19-2011, 01:19 PM :ninja: is offline  
Reply With Quote
#28  

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED
 
pyramid's Avatar
 
That might be an interesting thought if we had already colonized other planets and space.

at the moment that just sounds really stupid.
__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street
Old 06-19-2011, 02:09 PM pyramid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#29  

dio
 
dio's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
It's an unsupported statement because your basic launching point for your argument is not true. Many species will destroy their habitat, to the eventual detriment of themselves. Generally they are constrained by competitive species, but not always.

So, whatever argument you make after a false premise is kind of pointless. There's also the issue that you're assigning intent or guidance to a system which almost certainly does not have such meaning.


To say species destroy their habitat... is that really true? Certainly some species destroy things. The thing that comes to mind is that massive starfish that just demolishes corral reefs. But this isn't the same as moving towards making the planet uninhabitable.

I suppose you could say any species that got as succesfull as us would become as destructive as us because the only thing that keeps them constrained is the fact they can't become that succesfull.

I tend to think that there has to be a species that purposely maintains a symbiosis with their enviroment. But I suppose to assert that I would need evidence of a species that chooses to procreate less when they are stressing their environment too much.

However there is the component that in a succesfull species that does recognize earth as home, I doubt they would ever go to nuclear power and mass manufacturing of non-biodegradable waste. Species may procreate to the bounds of the stresses of their environment, but they aren't doing things may make the environment dangerous to them. Humans have a tendency to be doing things that aren't easily supported by natural processes on earth and actually make the environment dangerous to themselves.

Also, to assert their is not 'intent' or 'direction' to the whole of the system that is our reality is somewhat silly. You can blatantly observe a few directions and components of guidance. The first one is altitude. We try to get higher and higher and farther away from earth as possible. The second one is interconnectivity, we try to be simoultaneously connected to as many things as possible. Altitude and interconnectivity I think are two obvious directions the system has been heading in for a loooong time.

Then lastly, if you want to get all mckennist on this, Complexity. From the dawn of the universe to know, the generaly direction of the process has been to increase the complexity of anything and everything. You can state with a fair amount of certainty that the future will be more complex and intricate than right now.

I know these seem blatantly obvious, and they are, and the attitude of people generally high up in scientific process is to see blatantly obvious things as passe. I mean what value of thought comes from stating that altitude, interconnectivity and complexity are the direction and intent of the system? Well I could type a book on that, but think about it. If you know the direction forward you can much more easily extrapolate from a philosophical point of view our past.

Last edited by dio; 06-19-2011 at 03:07 PM..
Old 06-19-2011, 03:00 PM dio is offline  
Reply With Quote
#30  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:54 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.