General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
When you're at the peak, there is nowhere but down.

Sitting on your Steely Dan /= being at your peak.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

acidfast7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
Sitting on your Steely Dan /= being at your peak.

I meant culturally/technologically since the 15th century.

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

rofl, the morlock was at least at some point, a government goon fiddling his nuts in the airforce, and he's promoted himself to the champion of capitalist utopia, where he rants about productive work

lmfao you can't script shit like this, it's almost as good as when the plane doesn't leave the treadmill

punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
If trickle-down economics don't work, then doing something like putting a 10% tax on the sale of new boats that cost over $100k wouldn't have any negative effect on anyone but the rich and it would actually help everyone else right?

It's funny you mention that as the luxury tax imposed by the US congress ~1991 killed the yacht/boat industry in the Northeast and put 100K+ workers out of work.

:ninja:
My cooter sweats, and reeks like rotting sea vermon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher View Post
It's funny you mention that as the luxury tax imposed by the US congress ~1991 killed the yacht/boat industry in the Northeast and put 100K+ workers out of work.

It was more around 25,000 people, not that it's a small number by any means. A luxury tax is a bit different than say an income tax or an estate tax. When a tax is levied against a luxury item like a car or a boat, the rich individual can just buy it somewhere else (or not buy it at all)... but it's not as if he can quit his job because the income tax is too high, or not die because the estate tax is too high.

The general trend is that the more you tax something, the less there is. Citing this effect on luxury items is not relevant... as the tax modifications being pushed by Republicans are those on the individual's wealth itself.

Luxury taxes are also poor examples because the industries are quite small. Rich people buying luxury items is not the buttress of the entire economy. It's the middle class, and they need to be empowered to spend. This is quite difficult to do when salaries are low, do not keep up with inflation, jobs are lost, unemployment benefits are on the chopping block, etc... Super rich people are doing not only quite well, but much better than they were one decade, or two decades ago.

Vote McCain!
Retardism

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
Paying someone to not work for 15 years is not fundamental research.

:facepalm:

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
I wouldn't say a world of difference. We're pretty high in the income scale in Germany and our lifestyles haven't changed that much. The only difference is that we're considering putting 50% down on an apartment from the last few years of savings.

We still drive a 1995 Audi and travel Coach/Economy.

I'm sure it's person specific. We drive an expensive car (which actually should not matter in this as it was free) and travel business class. We spend lots of money on vacations and home furnishings, and we go out frequently for expensive dates. We also save a lot in multiple accounts/investments to prepare for the future and retirement.

Our dual income is quite high and it would suck if it were halved. Of course we could still live, likely comfortably. But I wouldn't want to.

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
I'm sure it's person specific. We drive an expensive car (which actually should not matter in this as it was free) and travel business class. We spend lots of money on vacations and home furnishings, and we go out frequently for expensive dates. We also save a lot in multiple accounts/investments to prepare for the future and retirement.

Our dual income is quite high and it would suck if it were halved. Of course we could still live, likely comfortably. But I wouldn't want to.
I know people that make a lot more than I do, yet have a lower quality of life in some ways. People think that once they get the pay raise they were looking for they have to immediately go out and spend it....bigger house, more expensive cars, boat etc....yet can't afford to take a real vacation or eat out more than a couple times a week.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
I know people that make a lot more than I do, yet have a lower quality of life in some ways. People think that once they get the pay raise they were looking for they have to immediately go out and spend it....bigger house, more expensive cars, boat etc....yet can't afford to take a real vacation or eat out more than a couple times a week.

Oh absolutely. For us, saving and investing will always come first. I know way too many people that prioritize the wrong things and are never preparing for their future. But the higher income, at least in our case, allows us to save all that we feel is appropriate and then have enough left ofter to have a rather high quality of life. It would be far more difficult with half that salary.

w.t.cats

I really think the economy needs to collapse. I mean in hind sight it was never doing too well to begin with. And they just keep adding to the problem, the national deficit, taking it's time to equate the measures it's really principle. democracy has indeed withstood a long fight and help us God it's just adding to the kill. They're advertising superstition the whole thing's been molested the fuck out of. I think if George Bush were still president he'd push the taxes and deliver his mistakes anointed through clinton and the forefathers.
Obama himself said it, raise the taxes take hold of the poverty issues and milk out the resources through what we have in africa and the middle east. Barack Obama, pushing the leftists may indeed have succumb to the pie but leave no man behind i dear say herertho visa vi the principle of cascading deliverance and the christian hold, 2008 was a good year but 2011 has much.
Distract the public, push the movement and leave the liabilities to texas for a swift action course. Wall Street has good news or some of the fundamentilists in this economy and if it didn't collapse we'd have to share our resources with the middle east, and having libya take up space in general somebodies bound to get violent, leave the studies to the foreign exchange and the rates may succumb, dick cheney does hold a grip on the economy.. too late now, the golden rule may jump but it will never fall like Donald Trump said in that convention last year, it's a really big liability.

Last edited by w.t.cats; 07-06-2011 at 04:01 PM..

TheMorlock

can I have some

Bukkakeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post

Likely

well ofc you wouldn't want to

The point (i think) is that you would still be able to live very well and have anything you need to live a nice and fulfilling life.

this is the internet... and someone is WRONG on it

-Tongboy

Patriotic Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
point is 'murka is still way more upward social mobility than other countries, save a few massively depopulated european nations with a massive social welfare system and astronomical gdp per that only works because of their extremely low population...

This isn't true at all compared to almost any other first world nation.

TheMorlock

Really Beagle? How many Bill Gates Oprah winfrey's Johnny Carsons Jeff Bezos etc etc etc are there in other countries?

Last edited by TheMorlock; 07-09-2011 at 04:10 PM..

Patriotic Eagle

Quote:
Institutional theft.
Sorry, but the gov't has no business trying to alleviate a disparity in the distribution of wealth. That's not the job of a functioning gov't.
The function of a government in a democracy is whatever the people decide it should be.

Quote:
Rich people and companies buy private jets. Someone had to make those jets which in turn employs people. Those people get paid. Someone has to fly the jet, so they hire a pilot. The pilots gets paid. Someone has to maintain the jet like a grounds crew. Those people get paid. So all these people getting paid out of the private jet industry now have money which they spend at the grocery store, drug store, movie theater, etc. Those business then employ people and it ripples through the economy.

Do you really think that in the above scenario that everyone who was employed via the private jet industry would be better off unemployed, on welfare, food stamps, living off the gov't because the gov't taxed rich people & companies so much that none of them could either afford to or were unwilling to buy a private jet (either through very high direct income taxes or punitive taxes on the purchase of private jets)?
Do you think the gov't would collect enough in their very high direct taxes or punitive taxes on the purchase of private jets to pay for all the "benefits" they're paying to all the people who are now unemployed because the private jet industry died?
How about the gov't... Do they collect more tax money by punishing the rich and companies with heavy taxes and paying "benefits" to scores of now unemployed people than they would if have a bunch of employed tax payers but aren't taxing the rich and companies to death?
Wealthy people become wealthy by exploiting other peoples labour. In the case of people who can afford to buy private jets they're exploiting thousands or even millions of people. The idea that this is "evened out" by whatever cottage industries the wealthy spend their luxury income on is retarded, these industries employ far less than the those from which the wealth is derived and it's "distributed" in a far less even fashion (the pilot of a private jet and the technicians for it are probably themselves quite wealthy compared to the bottom of the food chain from which the wealth is ultimately derived).