General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED
 
pyramid's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepster View Post
Oh hi! sinking capitalistic ship

I'm over here, in my socialist boat.

FUCK YEAH!

Ahem...

http://www.cnbc.com/id/30308959/The_...Debtor_Nations


specifically: http://www.cnbc.com/id/30308959/The_...tions?slide=16
__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street
Old 07-18-2011, 02:08 AM pyramid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#61  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs
 
BlisterDick's Avatar
 
__________________
(╯░□░)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 07-18-2011, 02:39 AM BlisterDick is offline  
Reply With Quote
#62  

Killer_B
 
Killer_B's Avatar
 
Surprised that one point hasn't been brought up yet....

What could be the chances that Congress just start targeting everyone's (except Congress, as usual) retirement accounts? (401K OR IRA)

Sure, there's regulations in place to keep that from happening, but with the banks/billionaires/corporations having their dicks so far up Capitol Hill's ass, it's not a huge stretch to believe that there might be a chance they just go and ram it through anyways...Under the excuse "ZOMG WE HAEV TO SAVE TEH GLOBAL ECONOMYS, SO SUCK IT TAXPAYERS", of course.
__________________
Gen[M]ay. Who needs members? We have mods.

Founding [M]ember of the GENTLY CARESS EA Club.

Then the network comes back up. And then down again. Up... and down. It keeps going down like a Clinton intern.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:06 AM Killer_B is offline  
Reply With Quote
#63  

Forever Domon
 
Forever Domon's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer_B View Post
Surprised that one point hasn't been brought up yet....

What could be the chances that Congress just start targeting everyone's (except Congress, as usual) retirement accounts? (401K OR IRA)

Sure, there's regulations in place to keep that from happening, but with the banks/billionaires/corporations having their dicks so far up Capitol Hill's ass, it's not a huge stretch to believe that there might be a chance they just go and ram it through anyways...Under the excuse "ZOMG WE HAEV TO SAVE TEH GLOBAL ECONOMYS, SO SUCK IT TAXPAYERS", of course.
those are private funds for the most part. Would be outright theft if they touched them
Old 07-18-2011, 05:31 AM Forever Domon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#64  

:ninja:
My cooter sweats, and reeks like rotting sea vermon.
 
:ninja:'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
those are private funds for the most part. Would be outright theft if they touched them
And... why would they care? Congress has been full of criminals for the last four decades.
__________________
Use Linux and BSD
Old 07-18-2011, 08:44 AM :ninja: is offline  
Reply With Quote
#65  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by :ninja: View Post
And... why would they care? Congress has been full of criminals for the last four decades.

Two reasons:

A) seniors vote in large groups, and they'd throw a fucking shitfit if anybody started pulling money out of retirement accounts.

B) the Wall Street people that finance most campaigns would hate it since it would discourage investing


Practically all they'd need to do would be to increase capital gains taxes. Probably not going to happen though.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:17 AM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#66  

Forever Domon
 
Forever Domon's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Two reasons:

A) seniors vote in large groups, and they'd throw a fucking shitfit if anybody started pulling money out of retirement accounts.

B) the Wall Street people that finance most campaigns would hate it since it would discourage investing


Practically all they'd need to do would be to increase capital gains taxes. Probably not going to happen though.
im not sure how they could legally do it anyway? Most 401k's arent government owned in anyway (any more than a bank account is).

Unless im missing something, congress pulling from peoples 401ks would be roughly equivalent to pulling from personal bank accounts.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:26 AM Forever Domon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#67  

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)
 
OneWhoKnows's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by :ninja: View Post
And... why would they care? Congress has been full of criminals for the last four decades.

The most they would consider doing would be to reduce or remove tax deductions for contributions, but taking money out of individual funds would be a) a monumental effort and b) a catalyst for civil war
__________________
Intarweb married to [H]ustler 12/08/03
OWK of Team OWK
Gen[M]ay Motorcyclist 2004 YZF-R1 / 2006 YZF-R6
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"
Old 07-18-2011, 09:29 AM OneWhoKnows is offline  
Reply With Quote
#68  

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll
 
Redrum's Avatar
 
a little bit of economic nationalism would be nice.

far too many massive corporations incorporate in the caribbean and get away without paying taxes.

on the other hand the government is no angel either, and wastes a lot of money on social programs and/or paying military contractors who over charge a shit load

Quote:
Boeing, a major defense contractor, overcharged the Army on 18 different parts and collected $23 million dollars instead of the $10 million it should have received in fiscal year 2010. One part, a straight pin that usually valued at $0.04, was sold to the Army for an astronomical $74.01 per unit. A plain stud used on Apache helicopters fetched $3,369.48, even though it usually retails for $190.00 a piece - a 1,673 percent markup.
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...y-millions.php

billions poured into israel and foreign aid across the world is a waste as well. foreign aid to third world countries also only exasperates their misery as they unsustainable populations and are heading toward a malthusian catastrophe....
__________________
lol
Old 07-18-2011, 10:05 AM Redrum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#69  

Forever Domon
 
Forever Domon's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
a little bit of economic nationalism would be nice.

far too many massive corporations incorporate in the caribbean and get away without paying taxes.

on the other hand the government is no angel either, and wastes a lot of money on social programs and/or paying military contractors who over charge a shit load



http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...y-millions.php

billions poured into israel and foreign aid across the world is a waste as well. foreign aid to third world countries also only exasperates their misery as they unsustainable populations and are heading toward a malthusian catastrophe....
you have no idea how terrible expense rates are for contractors. And its legally required to go with them. I actually get in trouble if i try to save money.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:11 AM Forever Domon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#70  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
im not sure how they could legally do it anyway? Most 401k's arent government owned in anyway (any more than a bank account is).

Unless im missing something, congress pulling from peoples 401ks would be roughly equivalent to pulling from personal bank accounts.

I assume it would require a Constitutional amendment, as any law would be swiftly rendered unconstitutional as an illegal seizure. He was of course saying that Congress are all criminals already, but there are both legal and practical reasons why nobody is going to take money out of retirement accounts or banking accounts.

And I think it would exactly equivalent to pulling money from bank accounts. They're not taxing income, they'd just be taking yo $$$.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:32 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#71  

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?
 
joemama's Avatar
 
lol...time for Creepster to pay up his $110,502 so he can get on with his socialistic badassery.


edit- or maybe $145,928...I can't remeber if he's in Denmark or the Netherlands.
__________________
Rapid-fire double bass of the GenMay dru[M]mers collective

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v
Old 07-18-2011, 02:16 PM joemama is offline  
Reply With Quote
#72  

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse
 
Lurker's Avatar
 
Considering what happened to peoples retirement funds in 2008, would pulling money out of these funds be smart? Would it not only hurt the economy further?

How likely are we to have something like a negative interest rate like they do in Japan(I think)?
__________________
Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of anyone else.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:54 AM Lurker is offline  
Reply With Quote
#73  

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!
 
Zangmonkey's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
Considering what happened to peoples retirement funds in 2008, would pulling money out of these funds be smart? Would it not only hurt the economy further?

How likely are we to have something like a negative interest rate like they do in Japan(I think)?

Up until recently the treasury has been taking money from federal pensions to continue spending.
What potential does that have to hurt peoples' retirement funds?
__________________
09 F9
Old 08-03-2011, 09:57 PM Zangmonkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
#74  

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM
 
GhEttOrAiD's Avatar
 
its all irrelevant the end is nigh 12/21/12 you only get to live if you buy a seat on the boat for a billion euro or if you're John Cusack

<edit> fucking fuck... sry genmay confusion i have nothing sensible to contribute as usual carry on folks
__________________
[QUOTE=BlisterDick;25482810][b]PLZ keep door unlock for roach and spider[/b][/QUOTE]
✓, ✓, ☑, ☐
Old 08-04-2011, 03:54 AM GhEttOrAiD is offline  
Reply With Quote
#75  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:51 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.