General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Mandating citizens to purchase health insurance

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/08/...oogle_politics

How is this different than forcing me to buy auto insurance if I want to have a car?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Why_Ask_Why
why_ask_why
I make Gen[M]ay notable

auto insurance is state level legislation and is not required to drive in wisconsin and new hampshire

Phil Taylor
I'll be back

that's pretty fucked.

i mean not having subsidised healthcare is one thing, but being forced to keep pumping up those awful medical insurance companies...oh god, where does it end?

nigga, you just made me click "go advanced"...

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Driving a car is optional (theoretically) but having a beating heart and lungs that take in air is not..

Unconstitutional and won't pass..

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
Driving a car is optional (theoretically) but having a beating heart and lungs that take in air is not..

Unconstitutional and won't pass..

I can live without health insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Taylor View Post
that's pretty fucked.

i mean not having subsidised healthcare is one thing, but being forced to keep pumping up those awful medical insurance companies...oh god, where does it end?

Why cant the same thing be argued against auto insurance?

I am pretty much forced to buy it because everyone knows if I run someone over I wont have the money to pay for their care out of pocket.

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Since our entire country has infrastructure set up for personal transportation (largest interstate highway system in the world) then why not government subsidized low cost car insurance? Sure the service would suck if you actually had a claim, but frivolous lawsuits would go away if tv lawyers had to go after a federal government agency...further lowering costs for everyone.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Liquid_Table
Waiting for that fateful day of bannage, c'mon Kyle be a man and push the button you big fairy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by why_ask_why View Post
auto insurance is state level legislation and is not required to drive in wisconsin and new hampshire

Bullshit. You're still required to carry liability insurance, the only difference is that you can get a certificate of financial responsibility which basically says "I can pay for a crash". Even if you did not need to carry insurance you'd be a stupid not to since even a fender bender can open you up to all sorts of liability.

I asked myself this question and the answer I came up with is that not having health insurance is more damaging to you than anyone else. Where as if you do not have motor vehicle insurance and you hit someone, you're impacting someone else's life.

acidfast7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
I can live without health insurance.

not when you're older. you won't be able to afford the care on your own and you'll force the government to pay or to not treat you.

I pay 6 percent of monthly pre-tax salary to health insurance. 90-99% of that money (my lifetime contributions) will be spent in my last 3 months of life.

sure, you can live now without spending money, but as soon as you have a stroke/heart attack at age 70, you'll immediately require 50k USD in costs to revive/attempt to revive you.

that's why one pays into these mandatory plans for their entire life.

i guess that in theory you could save 300-500 USD/month into a "personal healthcare fund" that you'd have to have to get any emergency treatment. the US govt is just making that monthly savings mandatory

i also guess that in theory they could have an "opt out" where you don't pay and get refused treatment, but that would go down worse than the mandatory system

Why_Ask_Why
why_ask_why
I make Gen[M]ay notable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Table View Post
Bullshit. You're still required to carry liability insurance, the only difference is that you can get a certificate of financial responsibility which basically says "I can pay for a crash". Even if you did not need to carry insurance you'd be a stupid not to since even a fender bender can open you up to all sorts of liability.

I asked myself this question and the answer I came up with is that not having health insurance is more damaging to you than anyone else. Where as if you do not have motor vehicle insurance and you hit someone, you're impacting someone else's life.

ahem
http://www.tiffanyinsurance.com/2007...lity-auto.html

acidfast7

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post

i guess that in theory you could save 300-500 USD/month into a "personal healthcare fund" that you'd have to have to get any emergency treatment. the US govt is just making that monthly savings mandatory

i also guess that in theory they could have an "opt out" where you don't pay and get refused treatment, but that would go down worse than the mandatory system

the more that I think about it, the more that I'd be OK with both of these options.

in Switzerland and other countries, people who are unemployed or lowly-employed, receive money from the government to cover these costs, which is what I heard that US system was doing.

in fact, that's one of the reasons I support the proposed US system much more than the other systems in Europe (Switzerland is the best, IMHO).

also, I haven't noticed a lower quality of service, but then again I haven't required any major surgery and I get treated extremely well because all of my legal IDs say "Dr." so they automatically assume I'm a colleague.

Fiah
Sinds ik als transseksuele prostituee bezig ben, heb ik mezelf eindelijk leren accepteren. PM me voo

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
sure, you can live now without spending money, but as soon as you have a stroke/heart attack at age 70, you'll immediately require 50k USD in costs to revive/attempt to revive you.

There'll be a time sooner or later that we (as in, the first world) can't really afford to do that anymore.

Why_Ask_Why
why_ask_why
I make Gen[M]ay notable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiah View Post
There'll be a time sooner or later that we (as in, the first world) can't really afford to do that anymore.

Panda Monium

[QUOTE=Lurker;24839618]I can live without health insurance.

QUOTE]

Until something happens out of the blue and you're screwed or you get older.

Recently, I found myself trying to decide whatn the best course of action would be for myself and my new family. The system is broken and I don't see any proposals that can even come close to fixing even a small portion of the issues.

My wife and I found out we're expecting, but due to me losing my business and her losing her full time job (company went under), neither of us could get health insurance through our jobs. We were told that we HAD to have SOMETHING to be seen in most places. Some clinics can be "ok" but others can make you cringe.

We had to go through the ordeal of her getting medicaid and it's been one major mishap after another- especially when the case worker messed up. Somehow WE were told WE were going to have to pay for the mistake. For now, we have medicaid. At the end of the month we may not. It's looking like a very expensive road we'll be going down because her case worker screwed everything up so badly trying to switch us from one county to another.

On top of it, we found out she might have gestational diabetes- and this was in the test results from the end of June. The old health care provider (we moved and couldn't see them anymore because it's a clinic) didn't even call us to tell us her blood sugar was so outrageously low! Now the baby may be premature, if it is gestational diabetes, as far as my understanding goes.

Regardless, insurance has been a most difficult issue for us and yesterday I found out it could cost us over $21k out of pocket since she's high risk. Should insurance be mandatory? Can't really say there is an easy answer for everyone, but I sure wish we had it.