General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote McCain! View Post
Look, the far left is retarded, but the far right is even MORE retarded. Not only that, but the amount people that actually subscribe to some sort of far left pro-gay anti-white paradise make up a very small portion of the population, while the portion of the population believing in a christian theocracy are much higher; last i heard the percentage of americans that believe the bible is the unbending literal word of god was over 30%.
30% of the americans believe in a literal interpretation of the bible because puritanicalism has been a major component of the american character since the very beginning. that's well within their right. don't really see how much of that they have actually legislated, however.
Quote:
The retarded stuff on the left is confined to the extremes, whereas on the right, the all their whackjob sky daddy is part of the mainstream. when bachmann claims the recent hurricanes and earthquake on the east coast happened because god is mad at us, and perry kicks off his campaign with a giant prayer rally, that just goes to show how extreme the right wing mainstream is.
how are far right wing ideologies more mainstream if far left ideologies are present in state funded public universities? if anything the opposite is true. how do you reconcile the argument that the far left extremist views are in the minority and that nobody really pays attention to them when their very brand of ideological extremism is given carte blanche to reign free in universities? this is a point i continue to raise yet everybody fails to address.

if perry and his supporters want to start a rally with a prayer meeting more power to them. i'll only have a beef with it if it's mandatory as part of a freshman orientation program in a non private university...

Quote:
So are you one of these folks that think that only men should study technical subjects?
not at all. i am certainly against programs that unnecessarily favor women when it comes to technical subjects however. there isn't an equal amount of men and women in technical subjects because men are making a concerted effort to keep them out...it's because women as group simply aren't interested in them as much as men are. why this is true is a different discussion altogether, but it is undeniable. and the demographics of top technical universities should reflect this.
Quote:
Again, just his perception, he knows jack shit more than you do.
not really. it's known that MIT has been bending over backwards to enroll more women since the early '80s. as for my professor knowing jack shit more than i do, i don't think that's true either, he's far more in tune with the administrative side of academia and certainly has a better idea of how the enrollment process at the MIT works and the politics of it all in general.

Quote:
a fictional character. cool.

i'm sure there are many black doctors who are legitimately awesome and have attained their positions through merit alone. but i'd rather not take any chances...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Okay list some... Right to choose? Tax rates than can actually support this country and it's infrastructure maintanance?

cultural wars. gender wars. ridiculous entitlement programs. pandering to minorities. anti gun legislation. relentless mockery of christians while constant dick sucking of muslims.

Quote:
Probably in your mind. In reality you would not exactly pick up pitchforks and torches - or do shit really... Right wingers LOVE to appear all "git 'er dun" (the time for talk is over! omgomg) while in reality it's the same as the people who vote for them. The washing machine will remain on the porch; the busted "classics" in the back yard will never get restored. It's all talk... Hot air... aggressive mouth flapping with no real direction yet a lot of emotion.
i'm not really a right winger. thanks for trying to shove me into a box a second time because i don't blindly follow the party you favor, though!

and if you want to look for hot air and empty words all you have to do is take a look at your political messiah...

Quote:
Clue: if your life sucks, fix it by setting aside emotions and looking at actual numbers and policy. It isn't as exciting as hating the niqqers who get free tuition but even having them all killed Auschwitz style won't better your own existance.
my life is peachy brah, thanks for your concern though. now go back to taking michael moore documentaries as gospel and actually believing democrats give a shit about you, or are capable of doing jack shit as a party even if they actually did

Vote McCain!
Retardism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
30% of the americans believe in a literal interpretation of the bible because puritanicalism has been a major component of the american character since the very beginning. that's well within their right. don't really see how much of that they have actually legislated, however.

And you would prefer that to the way things are now? I really don't get where you are coming from... did some gay person do something to stomp on your "rights"?

Quote:
how are far right wing ideologies more mainstream if far left ideologies are present in state funded public universities? if anything the opposite is true. how do you reconcile the argument that the far left extremist views are in the minority and that nobody really pays attention to them when their very brand of ideological extremism is given carte blanche to reign free in universities? this is a point i continue to raise yet everybody fails to address.
If you are trying to convince me that some sort of post racial/anti-white/anti-male/anti-gun/pro-gay/anti-america ideology is being taught in american universities, then you have failed. Not only do I attend a public university, I teach there as well, and I don't see any of the things that you seem to be so worried about. There is no required pro-gay indoctrination seminar, no tunnel of hate; in fact the only thing I have a problem with in universities is the fact that they will sponsor black/muslim/latino student unions (but heaven forbid a white student union!), and all that a black protest really consists of is a dozen fat black women bitching about how their retarded family members can't figure out how to get off welfare. Don't forget, I live in a state that consistently votes blue, and I live in a city with a gay mayor (who happens to share his name with a patriotic brewer from Massachusetts).

Quote:
not at all. i am certainly against programs that unnecessarily favor women when it comes to technical subjects however. there isn't an equal amount of men and women in technical subjects because men are making a concerted effort to keep them out...it's because women as group simply aren't interested in them as much as men are. why this is true is a different discussion altogether, but it is undeniable. and the demographics of top technical universities should reflect this.
show proof

Quote:
not really. it's known that MIT has been bending over backwards to enroll more women since the early '80s.
another big claim with no proof to back it up

Quote:
as for my professor knowing jack shit more than i do, i don't think that's true either, he's far more in tune with the administrative side of academia and certainly has a better idea of how the enrollment process at the MIT works and the politics of it all in general.
But at the same time, he doesn't know why they were accepted. Just like you, he wasn't sitting there watching and listening to the admissions board as they made their decision. All he can do is assume, and when you assume you make an ass out of you and me.

Quote:
a fictional character. cool.
twas a joke

Quote:
i'm sure there are many black doctors who are legitimately awesome and have attained their positions through merit alone. but i'd rather not take any chances...
congratulations, you're slightly less racist than I am (aren't we all just a little racist?)

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
And you would prefer that to the way things are now? I really don't get where you are coming from... did some gay person do something to stomp on your "rights"?

le sigh...no i do not prefer that system to one that is in place now. all i said (at least several times now) was that i'd probably take my chances with THAT extreme over the leftist extreme if i held at gunpoint.

Quote:
If you are trying to convince me that some sort of post racial/anti-white/anti-male/anti-gun/pro-gay/anti-america ideology is being taught in american universities, then you have failed. Not only do I attend a public university, I teach there as well, and I don't see any of the things that you seem to be so worried about. There is no required pro-gay indoctrination seminar, no tunnel of hate; in fact the only thing I have a problem with in universities is the fact that they will sponsor black/muslim/latino student unions (but heaven forbid a white student union!), and all that a black protest really consists of is a dozen fat black women bitching about how their retarded family members can't figure out how to get off welfare. Don't forget, I live in a state that consistently votes blue, and I live in a city with a gay mayor (who happens to share his name with a patriotic brewer from Massachusetts).
again it doesn't have to be pervasive or universal to be contentious. at least two state funded colleges have programs within them that espouse an ideology that is pretty far removed from what the average reasonable person believes in. can you even begin to deny that a similar program but based on the opposite side of the political spectrum wouldn't cause a shitstorm of cosmic proportions, and would probably have to be shut down?

Quote:
show proof

another big claim with no proof to back it up
not gonna kill myself scouring the internet for statistics about a phenomenon as well known as this, so i'll link you to a college confidential thread which will in turn lead you towards statistics if you really want to look for them (taking a look at the ratio of applied/accepted stratified by gender would be good for this):

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/...emale-mit.html

Gibonius

Quote:
Minority opinions should be repressed in universities? Who gets to decide which ideas are acceptable for expression on campus?

As far as cultural impact, far more Americans spend far more time at church than they ever will at college, AND they start on people a lot younger. Most people have at least some sense of their values by the time they reach college, many of them receive those values from church teachings. This is not necessarily bad or universally far right wing, but it's a pretty massive cultural component and it's odd that you're choosing to ignore it.

Well not that odd, given your anti-leftist bogeyman.

Quote:
it's because women as group simply aren't interested in them as much as men are. why this is true is a different discussion altogether, but it is undeniable.
It's not a simple question at all, and one of the big solutions to it is more female role models and teachers. To do that, you gotta weight the deck for a couple generations. Data shows that women who actually make it through tend to do better than the average male anyway, although there are very extremely high performing females.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Minority opinions should be repressed in universities? Who gets to decide which ideas are acceptable for expression on campus?
clarify: minority opinions as in opinions held by racial minorities, or opinions that not many people subscribe to?
Quote:
As far as cultural impact, far more Americans spend far more time at church than they ever will at college, AND they start on people a lot younger. Most people have at least some sense of their values by the time they reach college, many of them receive those values from church teachings. This is not necessarily bad or universally far right wing, but it's a pretty massive cultural component and it's odd that you're choosing to ignore it.

Well not that odd, given your anti-leftist bogeyman.
last i checked church attendance is on the decline as a whole while college attendance rates continue to climb. christianity as a religion is slowly dying and most christians are hardly christian at all, either by action or thorough understanding of the scripture. christians in name, and only on the weekends. even i attend catholic mass with my grandmother occasionally. i enjoy the music and atmosphere. sue me. in a lot of ways i still consider myself to be catholic in terms of culture, despite my atheism.

in the public consciousness, it is much more en vouge and socially acceptable to be an ultra liberal college graduate with a degree in gender studies than it is to be a church going christian. at least where i live.

and as far as being anti leftist goes i'm not fundamentally opposed to stronger social programs. i am opposed to cultural marxism, though.

Vote McCain!
Retardism

Quote:
le sigh...no i do not prefer that system to one that is in place now. all i said (at least several times now) was that i'd probably take my chances with THAT extreme over the leftist extreme if i held at gunpoint.

look stupid, right now the US is about as leftist as it's gonna get.

Were you prepubescent when Bush was in office, or do you just refuse to acknowledge how a far right administration would act?

Quote:
again it doesn't have to be pervasive or universal to be contentious. at least two state funded colleges have programs within them that espouse an ideology that is pretty far removed from what the average reasonable person believes in.
you can't keep making statements like that without providing some sort of supporting details, at least a local news report.... in other words, pics or it didn't happen!

Quote:
can you even begin to deny that a similar program but based on the opposite side of the political spectrum wouldn't cause a shitstorm of cosmic proportions, and would probably have to be shut down?
This assumes that a leftist indoctrination program in public universities exists, which it doesn't... :facepalm:

Meanwhile there are multiple interest groups that want creationism taught in schools, and it's a good thing they are shut down... just my opinion

Quote:
not gonna kill myself scouring the internet for statistics about a phenomenon as well known as this,
except it's not well known...

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Were you prepubescent when Bush was in office, or do you just refuse to acknowledge how a far right administration would act?
start a few wars and ban federal funding for stem cell research? i cut a lot of classes in high school to hang out at the bar instead, but i'm certain when i was in class that i wasn't forced to pray...

obama has so far bombed libya to hell, mandated that people buy insurance from private corporations, and has cut funding to nasa. this wasn't the hope and change i was looking for yet according to hardon voting for him and his party are the only clear logical choice, as they really DO with to fight for a paradigm shifting set of policies...

Quote:
you can't keep making statements like that without providing some sort of supporting details, at least a local news report.... in other words, pics or it didn't happen!
wat

did you not watch the two vids i put up
Quote:
This assumes that a leftist indoctrination program in public universities exists, which it doesn't... :facepalm:
those two vids i posted veer on indoctrination.

also i take it you've never taken a sociology, international politics, or european literature class with a balls off the walls cultural marxist professor whose fateful students swallowed every little thing he said as gospel...

Quote:

except it's not well known...

are you trolling are you seriously unaware of the dozens upon dozens of minority only, woman only, and minority woman only scholarship, internship, leadership, student loan, and grant programs?

Last edited by Redrum; 09-08-2011 at 11:43 PM..

Vote McCain!
Retardism

Quote:
start a few wars and ban federal funding for stem cell research? i cut a lot of classes in high school to hang out at the bar instead, but i'm certain when i was in class that i wasn't forced to pray...

Sure, it's okay do to all that shit and more because jeebus is gonna come back and save us all as soon as we march on Tehran! It doesn't matter what the fuck us rich folk do, we're favored by sky daddy and therefore we can do whatever we want to whoever we want! Also, fuck all that shit that jeebus said, forget about helping the poor or healing the sick, they dont have money which means that they must have done something to lose the favor of the lord!

Do you not realize that this is essentially the core of the far right ideology? The fact that the majority of the republican presidential candidates believe this hypocrisy should be considered a moral and intellectual emergency.

Quote:
wat

did you not watch the two vids i put up

those two vids i posted veer on indoctrination.
yeah i watched them, i thought they were silly. really doesnt scare me, because of two reasons:

1) If I knew that the "tunnel of oppression" was something I would have to go through, I wouldn't go to that college. How about taking some personal responsibility instead of believing what other people tell you to believe?

2) If I were stupid enough to not do the slightest research on my perspective university, and I were to allow myself to end up in that situation, well, that's the reason I walk around armed. Again, how about taking some personal responsibility?

Quote:
also i take it you've never taken a sociology, international politics, or european literature class with a balls off the walls cultural marxist professor whose fateful students swallowed every little thing he said as gospel...
Maybe because I study physics, which is a place where your political/religious/social ideology means jack shit.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Do you not realize that this is essentially the core of the far right ideology? The fact that the majority of the republican presidential candidates believe this hypocrisy should be considered a moral and intellectual emergency.
that's not the core of right wing ideology. it's a major aspect of the GOP's platform, but does not represent right wing ideology as a whole. GOP bases very little legislation on religious principles in practice.

Quote:
yeah i watched them, i thought they were silly. really doesnt scare me, because of two reasons:

1) If I knew that the "tunnel of oppression" was something I would have to go through, I wouldn't go to that college. How about taking some personal responsibility instead of believing what other people tell you to believe?

2) If I were stupid enough to not do the slightest research on my perspective university, and I were to allow myself to end up in that situation, well, that's the reason I walk around armed. Again, how about taking some personal responsibility?
1 and 2 are fine but you kind of miss the point. that same logic can be used to justify mandatory daily prayer at a state school. if a student does not wish to pray, they can go elsewhere. right? if they did not sufficiently research the school's policy regarding this, their loss, right?

state funded schools should be as politically neutral as possible. in an ideal world anyway. many students who attend state schools simply can not afford to go anywhere else and really don't have a real choice. such politically charged and controversial programs are irresponsible, and do nothing other to foment even more racial and ethnic hatred in the process.

Quote:
Maybe because I study physics, which is a place where your political/religious/social ideology means jack shit.
and i study EE. wasn't aware physics students where you completed your undergrad work were not required to complete a humanities block. lucky you.

topcat989

Quote:
But at the same time, he doesn't know why they were accepted. Just like you, he wasn't sitting there watching and listening to the admissions board as they made their decision. All he can do is assume, and when you assume you make an ass out of you and me.

and yet....

Quote:
This week, Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley signed a bill to require the state's public universities to give undocumented aliens -- generally illegal -- in-state tuition privileges.
The bill, known as the Dream Act, is already the law in ten other states, including California, New York, Texas and Illinois.

But critics argue that the bill will give illegal aliens better treatment than Americans and legal immigrants -- thanks to existing diversity policies at universities.

University of Maryland (College Park) computer science Prof. James Purtilo told FoxNews.com that, during his time as an associate dean, he frequently saw admission officers favor students because of their “undocumented” status.
"They favor students with special circumstances. 'Undocumented alien' would be one of these special circumstances... They help fill out the diversity picture for the admissions office."
"It was just the norm," Purtillo added, "that obviously we need more of these students [undocumented aliens]… 'this student has a real story to tell' would be a common thing the admissions officers would say. Or that 'they're enriching the College Park experience.'"

University of Maryland spokesman Millree Williams said because admissions staff were either busy with commencement ceremonies or on vacation, he was unable to answer questions about the university’s affirmative action policies as of Tuesday morning.

Gibonius

Quote:
clarify: minority opinions as in opinions held by racial minorities, or opinions that not many people subscribe to?
You're the one saying that "minority opinions" shouldn't be expressed on campus, so you can clarify yourself.
Quote:
last i checked church attendance is on the decline as a whole while college attendance rates continue to climb. christianity as a religion is slowly dying and most christians are hardly christian at all, either by action or thorough understanding of the scripture. christians in name, and only on the weekends. even i attend catholic mass with my grandmother occasionally. i enjoy the music and atmosphere. sue me. in a lot of ways i still consider myself to be catholic in terms of culture, despite my atheism.
On the decline, but there are still a whole lot of people who go to church. You spend a couple hours a week, for four-five years, in college. You spend an hour a week for life in church. Religious conservatives have plenty of opportunities to get their message out there and are a massively cultural force, if a smaller one than they used to be.
Quote:
in the public consciousness, it is much more en vouge and socially acceptable to be an ultra liberal college graduate with a degree in gender studies than it is to be a church going christian. at least where i live.
That is total shit on the national level. Look at our presidential candidates. We have several fruitcake far-right Christians, and ZERO "ultra liberal" anybodies over the last couple cycles. Someone like Bachmann is widely accepted, but you will never see an equivalent liberal political figure on the left.

The vast majority of this country (geographically) doesn't have a lot of patience or tolerance for opinions outside of the conservative mainstream. Vote with your feet if you must and move out of the cities, you'll find a whole lot of kindred spirits. This is still a center-right country, the "crusade of liberalism" only has traction in a few small places.

Gibonius

Quote:
1 and 2 are fine but you kind of miss the point. that same logic can be used to justify mandatory daily prayer at a state school. if a student does not wish to pray, they can go elsewhere. right? if they did not sufficiently research the school's policy regarding this, their loss, right?
There's an amendment about separation of Church and State, but there is not one about political ideology. School organized prayer in (public) school has been deemed unconstitutional, it's not like the schools themselves banned it.

Quote:
state funded schools should be as politically neutral as possible. in an ideal world anyway. many students who attend state schools simply can not afford to go anywhere else and really don't have a real choice. such politically charged and controversial programs are irresponsible, and do nothing other to foment even more racial and ethnic hatred in the process.
You're taking a couple of anecdotal stories and acting like this is routine at every state funded college. I had a grand total of one class where any kind of "liberal" agenda was expressed, and it was an ethics class. Somehow I doubt most self-identified conservatives have much interest in women's studies, philosophy, sociology, etc. If you stick to the conventional majors, you're not going to find many professors who will openly go off on a political ideology.

I did hear a biology teacher whose ideology invaded her teaching to a huge degree, but it was all about vegetarianism and resource conservation. It was actively annoying though, she could barely get through a lecture without saying "I'm not saying you shouldn't eat meat but....meat eaters are awful scum who are destroying the planet." Was annoying, but it wasn't doing much to push her agenda, given the reactions of the class.

Vote McCain!
Retardism

Quote:
and i study EE. wasn't aware physics students where you completed your undergrad work were not required to complete a humanities block. lucky you.

no we were required to take three courses in history or anthropology or some shit. That ancient history class I took sure did make me realize that the white man is the cause of all the world's problems! When I took that french film class I didn't realize I was being indoctrinated into some sort of ultra liberal cabal, thank you for un-brainwashing me!

augusttremulous
The Cat's Pajamas

Quote:

So that takes care of the ones who believe in a literal interpretation of all of the bible, how about those that want to use a literal interpretation of the parts of the bible that further their agenda? The same book that outlaws homosexuality (Leviticus) also says not to cut your hair or shave, not to mix fabrics, not to let your cattle graze with other types of cattle, sentences aldulterers to death, and says that people with flat noses, or who are blind or "lame" aren't allowed to pray at an altar. They can't or won't claim to be following a literal interpretation of the bible, but they'll sure as shit tell you the part about homosexuality is totally right.
39TH STREET
rmtc<3
8=,,,,===D BlisterDick is the hawtness I desire :drool: