General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
And that's the people that should voluntarily stay home on voting day. I rarely ever vote for local elections (city related) because I wouldn't have a clue what I was or wasn't voting for..

Then you shouldn't be voting at all. Local elections affect you more than presidential elections. If you're not willing to put the time in to educating yourself about that, then you really shouldn't be voting on the larger scale either.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Indeed. I usually don't know anything about our local election stuff either but luckily oregon does vote by mail so I just sit down one night with my ballot and do some research on all the issues I can vote on. It's not that hard.

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
Then you shouldn't be voting at all. Local elections affect you more than presidential elections. If you're not willing to put the time in to educating yourself about that, then you really shouldn't be voting on the larger scale either.
I vote when I do know what I'm voting for (or at least think I do) and abstain when I don't. Who has time to read drivel about every politician, ordinance, bond election etc.. at every level of government?

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/········\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Coqui

Quote:
I vote when I do know what I'm voting for (or at least think I do) and abstain when I don't. Who has time to read drivel about every politician, ordinance, bond election etc.. at every level of government?

It's once a year at more and normally twice a year. If you can't spend some time related to that especially with the easily available wealth of information out there, you shouldn't really complain about others voting.

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
It's once a year at more and normally twice a year. If you can't spend some time related to that especially with the easily available wealth of information out there, you shouldn't really complain about others voting.
Come on now, are you saying that you actually educate yourself about every local, county, state and federal election...or do you not vote? I guess in your eyes, my only voting for the issues/candidates I know about is worse than the people that vote because MTV told them to "rock it son"

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/········\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Coqui

Quote:
Come on now, are you saying that you actually educate yourself about every local, county, state and federal election...or do you not vote? I guess in your eyes, my only voting for the issues/candidates I know about is worse than the people that vote because MTV told them to "rock it son"

I don't research judges, but city councils, levies, etc. I try to.

topcat989

just sayin'

Debunking the Myths

Quote:
“Minorities, the poor and elderly will be disenfranchised by a photo ID requirement”

Besides the fact that this argument is insulting to many of the people who are characterized by it, the voter ID bill provides free ID that only needs to be renewed every four years. Seniors, 65 or older are provided an ID for life that never needs to be renewed and seniors in nursing homes will still be able to cast absentee ballots.

If you can fill out a form to register and to vote, you should be able to manage to fill out an ID application. The truth is, the state-subsidized ID provided by this bill will help integrate people who may be on the margins of society, into the mainstream, enabling them to get employment, open bank accounts and do all the other things people normally normally use their ID for in society. Most seniors, financially challenged people and minorities have an ID and there’s no reason to believe a person who happens to fall into any particular demographic isn’t fully capable of taking care of their own business. Holding them to lower expectations of societal functionality is insulting.

“Voter fraud is very rare – Voter ID is a solution in search of a problem”

Voter fraud is very hard to detect after the act. Most years Minnesota’s law enforcement prosecute only a few cases, not because there aren’t more perpetrators, but because the time and resources it requires to detect and prosecute are prohibitive. Minnesota Majority’s two-year research project revealed hundreds of ineligible voters that would not have been investigated or charged otherwise. After the 2008 election, out of 500,000 election day registrants, 23,000 of them were subsequently flagged for challenge in 2010, because their address was invalid. It’s much more efficient and effective to prevent fraud before it happens by requiring photo ID.

Confidence in the fair outcome of a legal election is essential to our democratic republic. 80% of the people want photo ID, indicating that most people don’t have full confidence in our elections. Photo ID will provide that confidence.

“Much of the fraud discovered in Minnesota involved ineligible voters, like convicted felons. Voter ID won’t prevent that.”

The comprehensive election bill before us does address ineligible voters by integrating modern pollbook solutions with photo ID. When a voter swipes their card to get a ballot, their eligibility will be instantly checked against computerized lists of known ineligible voters, like felons and non-citizens.

“A photo ID requirement will cost too much money.”

The electronic pollbook system will actually save the taxpayers money by streamlining the process, eliminating scores of paper records and labor-intensive hand data entry of hundreds of thousands of handwritten voter records.

“Minnesota already has the best election system in the nation.”

If that’s true, we’re in trouble. Minnesota is one of only two states that allow new voters to be vouched for without having to provide any identification and the only state that allows a single voter to vouch for up to 15 others – or under certain circumstances, unlimited numbers of other voters.

While some modern elements like optical ballot scanners and a centralized voter registration system have been implemented, much of Minnesota’s election system is a relic from bygone days that relies heavily on the “honor system.”

“Provisional Ballots Create Addtional Administrative Burdens and Prevent Some Votes From Being Counted”

Actually, provisional ballots are rarely used at all, but exist to guarantee voters the opportunity to cast a ballot even if they come unprepared to the polling place. Provisional ballots prevent disenfranchisement and ensure no one is turned away from the polls without the opportunity to cast a ballot.
Some Evidence Democrats Always Said Doesn't Exist

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
ATM card
movie rental card (also, who rents movies anymore?)
only people under 30 who drink alcohol get carded for alcohol
most people don't fly

"flagged for challenge" does not mean ineligible. It means they went and checked those against the local voter registry. How many actually ended up being discarded?

lists of ineligible voters is exactly how they add eligible voters to the ineligible list. duh, read about floridas lists.

almost all of the vote fraud found nation wide was ineligible felons and legal resident aliens. however, that still doesn't change the fact that it amounted to less than 100 instances of actual vote fraud out of hundreds of millions of votes over a decade.

yeah, sorry but this is a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

edplayer
no

Quote:
And what about felons who have been released from jail....are they no longer considered citizens?

What about felons?

Do you understand their situation?

[QUOTE=g|aSsJaw;25381666]I'm not going to go back and forth with you about it all night, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
ATM card
movie rental card (also, who rents movies anymore?)
only people under 30 who drink alcohol get carded for alcohol
most people don't fly

"flagged for challenge" does not mean ineligible. It means they went and checked those against the local voter registry. How many actually ended up being discarded?

lists of ineligible voters is exactly how they add eligible voters to the ineligible list. duh, read about floridas lists.

almost all of the vote fraud found nation wide was ineligible felons and legal resident aliens. however, that still doesn't change the fact that it amounted to less than 100 instances of actual vote fraud out of hundreds of millions of votes over a decade.

yeah, sorry but this is a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

I get carded every time I buy beer at the grocery store.

needed the photo ID to get the bank account to get the atm card

I rent movies from red box. Means I need the atm card that I got above.

Nice try though

5ive

I don't understand why felons shouldn't be able to vote
Member #5 of the Romeoz God R.I.P Collective

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by edplayer View Post
What about felons?

Do you understand their situation?

You're right. What seems like 90% of this forum shouldn't vote.

After all, smoking pot is a felony.

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
I get carded every time I buy beer at the grocery store.

needed the photo ID to get the bank account to get the atm card

I rent movies from red box. Means I need the atm card that I got above.

Nice try though

We should get rid of public transportation.

I can afford a car.

edplayer
no

Quote:
You're right. What seems like 90% of this forum shouldn't vote.

After all, smoking pot is a felony.

What do you mean I'm right? I didn't say anything. I asked you a question.

[QUOTE=g|aSsJaw;25381666]I'm not going to go back and forth with you about it all night, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

K804

Quote:
We should get rid of public transportation.

Where not economically self sustaining, definitely.