General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Gibonius

Good for that guy and all, but it's actually a pretty good example of another one of those legit things young people should be pissed about: law school. A shit ton of people thought that "working hard in college, and going to law school" would be a path to success. Turns out that there are way more law school openings than law jobs, and that law schools are allowed to overtly lie about their employment statistics and salaries. We're got a whole legion of people with useless law degrees, $100k+ in debt, and at best $50k/year jobs for them.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Killer_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Good for that guy and all, but it's actually a pretty good example of another one of those legit things young people should be pissed about: law school. A shit ton of people thought that "working hard in college, and going to law school" would be a path to success. Turns out that there are way more law school openings than law jobs, and that law schools are allowed to overtly lie about their employment statistics and salaries. We're got a whole legion of people with useless law degrees, $100k+ in debt, and at best $50k/year jobs for them.

The same could be said for those going for so many degrees in medicine as well, possibly even before factoring in malpractice insurance...

Founding [M]ember of the GENTLY CARESS EA Club.

Then the network comes back up. And then down again. Up... and down. It keeps going down like a Clinton intern.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

herp derp it's the fault of the top 1% that the law of supply and demand holds and that the market is saturated and unless you're a URM or go to a top 14 you can kiss an ultra lucrative career in law good bye...

i agree about the tuition though. tuition industrial complex ++

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Who wouldn't want a strong leader that you agree with 100% of the time?

I simply know that your kind fears that which you do not understand.

your posts are so empty, vacuous, and so general a bot HAS to be writing these responses for you

stop smoking weed you idiot and learn yourself some books

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer_B View Post
The same could be said for those going for so many degrees in medicine as well, possibly even before factoring in malpractice insurance...

Not really. The AMA severely restricts the number of slots available in med school and strictly controls how many med schools exist. No such controls exist for law school. Becoming a medical doctor isn't a sure fire path to fabulous wealth, but the career prospects are a hell of a lot better than for most lawyers.

Now there are a ton of undergrads who are trying to go pre-med and won't make it, but they usually know how selective it is, and worst case scenario they still have a vaguely useful undergrad training. Unlike all those pre-law bastards with their history or political science degrees.

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
herp derp it's the fault of the top 1% that the law of supply and demand holds and that the market is saturated and unless you're a URM or go to a top 14 you can kiss an ultra lucrative career in law good bye...

i agree about the tuition though. tuition industrial complex ++

"The 1%" are the ones starting all these law schools, lying about their prospects, and then lobbying the government to continue not to regulate it. Seems like a thing worth protesting.

People really ought to understand that nothing should be a sure thing, but we really shouldn't be allowing schools to lie to people so they can make them take out 100k in debt. If they make bad decisions in front of accurate information, fine, but this shit is unethical.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

lol which law school are you referring that was started recently within the last 10 years?

odds are if your law school of choice is less than 20 years old you're not going to get a decent job even if the job market is absolutely starved for lawyers. next you're going to tell me that people have to be told this, as if its some esoteric knowledge that's being sequestered in the back rooms of a goldman sachs board meeting.

but then again judge judy went to a tier 4 law school and she's rolling in money. so who knows amirite?

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

and call me crazy, but before i'm willing to plop down 100k on another three years of schooling i'd do my best to do as much research as possible to see if it's worth it. i sure as hell would not take the law school's word for it regarding employment prospects without stopping to think to question it. but that's just me.

it seems more and more people are going to law school not because they neccessarily want to be lawyers, but simply because they finished degrees in art history or philosophy or literature, and realize that they're worth less now and they go to some shithole t3 law school expecting to graduate with several offers in the 300k range.

again, little to no sympathy from me, EXCEPT for the ridiculous tuition american colleges (of any flavor) collect, and the federally guaranteed loans the various corps and government itself use to get fat off of students trying to make something of themselves in life.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:

your posts are so empty, vacuous, and so general a bot HAS to be writing these responses for you

stop smoking weed you idiot and learn yourself some books

So you said something stupid - who wants a leader they agree with all the time? Everyone... and now you can't back out of it gracefully.

Like all your "points" about minorities oppressing you and all that other stupid shit.

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by why_ask_why View Post
what a delusional moron. he is so not in the 1%

That's how basically all republican voters feel

[H]ard|On

Quote:
and call me crazy, but before i'm willing to plop down 100k on another three years of schooling i'd do my best to do as much research as possible to see if it's worth it. i sure as hell would not take the law school's word for it regarding employment prospects without stopping to think to question it. but that's just me.

it seems more and more people are going to law school not because they neccessarily want to be lawyers, but simply because they finished degrees in art history or philosophy or literature, and realize that they're worth less now and they go to some shithole t3 law school expecting to graduate with several offers in the 300k range.

again, little to no sympathy from me, EXCEPT for the ridiculous tuition american colleges (of any flavor) collect, and the federally guaranteed loans the various corps and government itself use to get fat off of students trying to make something of themselves in life.

You are missing the whole point again. If a good education doesn't get you a decent life, what does?

Do all the research about careers you want, you can't eat that for breakfast and wear it to stay warm.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
So you said something stupid - who wants a leader they agree with all the time? Everyone... and now you can't back out of it gracefully.

Like all your "points" about minorities oppressing you and all that other stupid shit.

i know it's hard for you to fathom but not every one is as statist as you, nor does everyone want a paternalistic father figure in life to care for them all the time

you didn't grow up with a father did you?

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
You are missing the whole point again. If a good education doesn't get you a decent life, what does?

Do all the research about careers you want, you can't eat that for breakfast and wear it to stay warm.

lol it's you that missing the point again.

gibonius raged about law schools being dishonest in their job prospects for graduates in this market that is over saturated with lawyers, and placed the blame squarely on the law schools, absolving the people who willingly fork over $100k of their money and three years of their life of any responsibility of making well thought out, well researched decisions...i simply called him out on it.

blame everyone else except for yourself amirite, ESPECIALLY in this day and age where there is a wealth of information out there readily available that will help you make informed decidions...

again and again i construct well thoguht out arguments and all you do is reply with ad hominems and empty mantras...

again, stop smoking weed and learn yourself some books, retard

asdsad
pwned

just waiting for shots to be fired… then shit will be approaching realism

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

hipsters will never do that shit, if anybody fires at the police it will be a complete false flag, jp morgan recently donated a shit load of money to the NYPD

there WILL be a patsy...

that's the funny thing about 'murka even in THIS recession...shit may be bad but it's nowhere near the point where you continue to protest while you're being shot at (ala syria)...