Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

asdsad
pwned

an agent provocateur, you say...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
lol it's you that missing the point again.

gibonius raged about law schools being dishonest in their job prospects for graduates in this market that is over saturated with lawyers, and placed the blame squarely on the law schools, absolving the people who willingly fork over $100k of their money and three years of their life of any responsibility of making well thought out, well researched decisions...i simply called him out on it.

blame everyone else except for yourself amirite, ESPECIALLY in this day and age where there is a wealth of information out there readily available that will help you make informed decidions...

I'm not absolving people for their own responsibilities, I'm saying they should have a level playing field. Half the information out there is lies. Lies put forth by people who ostensibly have a legal obligation to tell the truth. When you have everyone from your guidance counselor to officially published statistics giving you misleading or outright wrong information, I have a lot more understanding for making bad decisions. There's a wealth of information out there, for sure, and the people in power ought to be held accountable for lying about putting false and misleading information out there. How does some 19 year old find out the law market is oversaturated when every official publication and every school is claiming a 99% employment rate?

Nobody was talking about this whole "law is saturated and a scam etc etc" even a year ago. It's all over the place now, but blaming somebody who just got out of law school for not being ahead of the curve on realizing the market was fucked is misplaced.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
I'm not absolving people for their own responsibilities, I'm saying they should have a level playing field. Half the information out there is lies. Lies put forth by people who ostensibly have a legal obligation to tell the truth. When you have everyone from your guidance counselor to officially published statistics giving you misleading or outright wrong information, I have a lot more understanding for making bad decisions. There's a wealth of information out there, for sure, and the people in power ought to be held accountable for lying about putting false and misleading information out there. How does some 19 year old find out the law market is oversaturated when every official publication and every school is claiming a 99% employment rate?

Nobody was talking about this whole "law is saturated and a scam etc etc" even a year ago. It's all over the place now, but blaming somebody who just got out of law school for not being ahead of the curve on realizing the market was fucked is misplaced.

a huge .jpg detailing the over saturation of the law field has been floating around on SA/reddit since at least 2006, the information is there and easily found.

also

>2011
>taking anybody anywhere for their word about ANYTHING, especially when they stand to profit immensely from you trusting them, without bothering to sit down do research yourself
i hope you don't do this

hell, any half decent "so you're going to law school" book published since 2005 talks immensely about the highly competitive nature of the law field, and how it's no longer an instant ticket to affluence like it was 30 years ago. i've read several such books myself.

Gibonius

"Haha suckers, try not being so stupid you rubes!" doesn't really seem like the motto for a society I want to live in.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

yeah, because of course, everyone fundamentally is a child who needs to be looked after and supervised 100% all the way though life, while being guaranteed a lucrative career making no less than $300k a year and an easy and care free life in general and if they ever fuck up it's never their fault but some huge corporate boogeyman...

amirite

Gibonius

Quote:
yeah, because of course, everyone fundamentally is a child who needs to be looked after and supervised 100% all the way though life, while being guaranteed a lucrative career making no less than $300k a year and an easy and care free life in general and if they ever fuck up it's never their fault but some huge corporate boogeyman...

amirite

Ah right, but having the people in power lie to them under government supervision is fine, and not at all worth being upset about. Certainly.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

again, if you're willing to take ANYONE for their word in this day and age, especially when it comes to forking over such a substantial sum of money, well lets just say finding and holding a job will be the least of your many, many worries in life. most people are animals who don't have your best interests in life, this is a universal in almost every human society, i hope this isn't news to you...

though i'd like to see you point me in the direction of some concrete examples of law schools lying outright in the fashion you imply.

2[H]4U

5ive

I wouldn't mind getting to know her
Member #5 of the Romeoz God R.I.P Collective

wwilliam54

Quote:
and call me crazy, but before i'm willing to plop down 100k on another three years of schooling i'd do my best to do as much research as possible to see if it's worth it. i sure as hell would not take the law school's word for it regarding employment prospects without stopping to think to question it. but that's just me.

it seems more and more people are going to law school not because they neccessarily want to be lawyers, but simply because they finished degrees in art history or philosophy or literature, and realize that they're worth less now and they go to some shithole t3 law school expecting to graduate with several offers in the 300k range.

again, little to no sympathy from me, EXCEPT for the ridiculous tuition american colleges (of any flavor) collect, and the federally guaranteed loans the various corps and government itself use to get fat off of students trying to make something of themselves in life.

Even that doesnt work. Between the time I started college and the time I graduated the wages I was looking at went from 55k to 30k /yr.
Even a Science degree is nearly worthless these days

DuMa

violent

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilliam54 View Post
Even that doesnt work. Between the time I started college and the time I graduated the wages I was looking at went from 55k to 30k /yr.
Even a Science degree is nearly worthless these days

unfortunately there a lot of people in asia willing to work way harder than any us for far cheaper with a shit eating grin their face.

and good looking weathering the storm by trying to earn a living wage while working with your hands, as you can't do that either as there a millions of mexicans without papers within our very borders who devalue labor by also...willing to work for almost nothing with a shit eating grin on their face.

both parties agree...globalization and wide open borders with mexico are the way to prosperity, both for the white collar worker AND the blue collar worker

Thermo1223

I love this

"What are you protecting us from?"

How about your dumb ass stomp the man attitude that if the police did leave you'd all be butthurt when random acts of violence started occurring in the crowd.

I would say the haircut but there is no hope from the hipster crowd.
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:

RazorWind

Quote:
a huge .jpg detailing the over saturation of the law field has been floating around on SA/reddit since at least 2006, the information is there and easily found.

You expect someone going into law school to accept reddit or SomethingAwful as a credible source for career advice?

Gibonius

Quote:
again, if you're willing to take ANYONE for their word in this day and age, especially when it comes to forking over such a substantial sum of money, well lets just say finding and holding a job will be the least of your many, many worries in life. most people are animals who don't have your best interests in life, this is a universal in almost every human society, i hope this isn't news to you...

Oh well that makes it ok then.

Wait, no, it doesn't. The Occupy Wall Street people obviously don't like the idea of a society where those with power can just screw anybody who isn't paying attention or doesn't have the knowledge to realize the scam. I don't like it much either, although I've been fortunate and/or skilled enough to avoid any myself. I don't want a PT Barnum society. Obviously everyone needs to develop survival skills, but that doesn't excuse the people running the shell games.