General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Vote McCain!
Retardism

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilliam54 View Post
Even that doesnt work. Between the time I started college and the time I graduated the wages I was looking at went from 55k to 30k /yr.

What was your major/degree level?

Quote:
Even a Science degree is nearly worthless these days
Wrong...

A degree in science or engineering is the only worthwhile degree, as long as you to the masters level or higher. Going that route and actually specializing in a cutting edge field will get you more job offers than you can handle. Cisco, Intel, ThorLabs, FEI, and other companies notify our department of job openings with decent starting salary (40k), the deal is you need to have a master's in your field or higher. For awhile we got notified of new openings at different companies every couple of weeks, however over the last two months only openings we've seen were 2 openings at Intel.

These kids that fast track their bachelor's in chemistry are going to end up working as a technician at a pharma company for a few years until the company decides it's more cost effective to buy a machine that does the same job.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Gibonius

Pharma is rough right now. I know a lot of people who started in chem five-seven years ago thinking that pharma would be the path to guaranteed cash who are having a really hard time. These are PhD's too.

BS in chem is a crappy place to be, you barely know how to do anything. And if you do, from doing research or whatever, you have a very hard time getting to the interview stage to prove it.

5ive

I'm gonna become an anesthesiologist
Member #5 of the Romeoz God R.I.P Collective

Vote McCain!
Retardism

The nice about having a Ph.D. is if the economy gets rough and you find yourself without a job, you can always go back and teach and still make decent money.

wwilliam54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote McCain! View Post
What was your major/degree level?

Wrong...

A degree in science or engineering is the only worthwhile degree, as long as you to the masters level or higher. Going that route and actually specializing in a cutting edge field will get you more job offers than you can handle. Cisco, Intel, ThorLabs, FEI, and other companies notify our department of job openings with decent starting salary (40k), the deal is you need to have a master's in your field or higher. For awhile we got notified of new openings at different companies every couple of weeks, however over the last two months only openings we've seen were 2 openings at Intel.

These kids that fast track their bachelor's in chemistry are going to end up working as a technician at a pharma company for a few years until the company decides it's more cost effective to buy a machine that does the same job.

I went for Forensic Chem
It was a good field 5 years ago and then everything dried up in a short time.
But I do agree, I think a masters is what I need.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
You expect someone going into law school to accept reddit or SomethingAwful as a credible source for career advice?

thanks for ignoring the rest of my post, in which i mentioned books geared toward prospective law students have been talking about the over saturation for a VERY long time.

and i know its hard to wrap your head around this, but websites where a lot of educated people congregate (such as SA) are a great resources to get first hand info from people who either finished law school, are attending law school, or are considering law school...the same way in which genmay is a good place to get info regarding how the current climate is in IT for example...

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post

good luck with that.

also, the american dream is being able to work hard and provide a good life for you and your family. when there's no fucking jobs around it doesn't matter how hard you work.

It's Wall Street's fault there are no jobs?

There are jobs, just not ones that are acceptable to these people.

I don't mean to sound overtly callous but most people who can't hold down a job are unreliable and don't put it minimal effort.
Think about how many worthless dumbfucks hold down desk jobs... now imagine people even less useful.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Oh well that makes it ok then.

Wait, no, it doesn't. The Occupy Wall Street people obviously don't like the idea of a society where those with power can just screw anybody who isn't paying attention or doesn't have the knowledge to realize the scam. I don't like it much either, although I've been fortunate and/or skilled enough to avoid any myself. I don't want a PT Barnum society. Obviously everyone needs to develop survival skills, but that doesn't excuse the people running the shell games.

i agree with what you're saying wholeheartedly, however i'm just a little bit reluctant to absolve everyone else of any responsibility and common sense in life. it's horrible that the corps gave out so many sub prime mortgages, yes, but it's even worse that the people who agreed to them barely understood the fine print, if they even read it. and thanks to corporatism, your tax dollars have to support BOTH groups when they fuck up.

and what's interesting about this whole movement is that in every video i watch of them they all have DLSRS and ipad and expensive clothes. michael moore made an appearance recently as well, despite being a millionaire himself. this is not a revolution of the lower classes of america, but rather voyeurism and exhibitionism from the petite bourgeois...

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!

Quote:
I went for Forensic Chem

Here's a god damned idea:
Do something else

Vote McCain!
Retardism

Quote:
I went for Forensic Chem

You can blame CSI and all the other cop-dramas for that. When I was in high school everyone and their momma wanted to do forensics just because they saw it on CSI

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangmonkey View Post
It's Wall Street's fault there are no jobs?

There are jobs, just not ones that are acceptable to these people.

I don't mean to sound overtly callous but most people who can't hold down a job are unreliable and don't put it minimal effort.
Think about how many worthless dumbfucks hold down desk jobs... now imagine people even less useful.

we used to have jobs for these people in manufacturing and the construction trades. however, the former was shipped to china and the latter is dominated by mexicans willing to work for 9 dollars an hour, and neither party even makes pretend its a problem.

the real kicker is that these idiots consider these jobs below them in principle, not in wage.

Zangmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
You are missing the whole point again. If a good education doesn't get you a decent life, what does?

Do all the research about careers you want, you can't eat that for breakfast and wear it to stay warm.

If you're starving or freezing to death in the United States of Fucking America it's because you're too god damned lazy to find and accept help from the tremendous number of places it's available to you at no cost.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

though unionized construction trades are a still very strong, but nigh impossible to enter. still though, given the over saturation of the market in the service sector and the growing number of retirees from the trades, there will be a HUGE gap in that market pretty soon, any person graduating from high school would do themselves a much bigger favor by taking welding classes or learn to be a mechanic while working instead of plopping down $30k a year for a degree from a university.

and of course, this is the sensible and responsible thing to do, so odds are no one will do it. besides, those blue collar jobs are below them anyway, amirite?

Vote McCain!
Retardism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
we used to have jobs for these people in manufacturing and the construction trades. however, the former was shipped to china and the latter is dominated by mexicans willing to work for 9 dollars an hour, and neither party even makes pretend its a problem.

the real kicker is that these idiots consider these jobs below them in principle, not in wage.

what? you mean i can't doze off in school until i'm eighteen and a have a factory job handed to me aftter graduation? you mean i have to actually be halfway intelligent and motivated if I want to get ahead in life? BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote McCain! View Post
what? you mean i can't doze off in school until i'm eighteen and a have a factory job handed to me aftter graduation? you mean i have to actually be halfway intelligent and motivated if I want to get ahead in life? BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!

bringing back manufacturing to ameirca would do a lot to help, but unfortunately you'd have to practice protectionism to allow america to compete with the slave labor offered by china, and when you practice protectionism it tends to have a net negative effect on the local economy in terms of prices.

and the funny part is given enough time and r & d all shit jobs will be completely mechanized, and that's when we're going to be facing a REAL shit storm on our hands...