General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!
 
Zangmonkey's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
bringing back manufacturing to ameirca would do a lot to help, but unfortunately you'd have to practice protectionism to allow america to compete with the slave labor offered by china, and when you practice protectionism it tends to have a net negative effect on the local economy.

You can't do that unless people here are willing to work for less.
In manufacturing we have either been outpriced (which is fine, I like paying pennies for my socks) or we have outbid our labor out of the pool.

We're all turning into a bunch of luddites and blaming the evil Chinese and bankers.
__________________
09 F9
Old 10-06-2011, 03:48 PM Zangmonkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
#181  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll
 
Redrum's Avatar
 
lol it's not so much about being a luddite.

it's about not being particularly pro-globalization.

people 30 years ago may have had to pay 10 times as much for a non chinese made air conditioner, but at their wages were way higher as well, so it wasn't that big of a deal...

and remember, globalizatoin can hit white collar jobs just as easily as it can hit blue collar jobs (take a look at the hordes of the indian and chinese engineers willing to work for $15k a year)
__________________
lol
Old 10-06-2011, 03:51 PM Redrum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#182  

Jehannum
 
Jehannum's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangmonkey View Post
It's Wall Street's fault there are no jobs?

There are jobs, just not ones that are acceptable to these people.

I don't mean to sound overtly callous but most people who can't hold down a job are unreliable and don't put it minimal effort.
Think about how many worthless dumbfucks hold down desk jobs... now imagine people even less useful.

20% of the working population is worthless?

As you look around, do you see one in every five that you'd rather just shoot in the face?

Globalization of labor and financialization of everything else is destroying the middle class.
__________________
Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin foil underwear!

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:53 PM Jehannum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#183  

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll
 
Redrum's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
Globalization of labor and financialization of everything else is destroying the middle class.

bingo
__________________
lol
Old 10-06-2011, 03:54 PM Redrum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#184  

Vote McCain!
Retardism
 
Vote McCain!'s Avatar
 
Quote:
As you look around, do you see one in every five that you'd rather just shoot in the face?
try 1 in 3

Quote:
Globalization of labor and financialization of everything else is destroying the middle class.
yep.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:01 PM Vote McCain! is offline  
Reply With Quote
#185  

Jehannum
 
Jehannum's Avatar
 
So essentially, yes, Wall Street is at fault, because of the pervasive leverage that's been applied to everything from home ownership to medical coverage.

In fact, about the only thing this leverage hasn't been applied to is wages.
__________________
Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin foil underwear!

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:02 PM Jehannum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#186  

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!
 
Zangmonkey's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
So essentially, yes, Wall Street is at fault, because of the pervasive leverage that's been applied to everything from home ownership to medical coverage.

In fact, about the only thing this leverage hasn't been applied to is wages.

I like how you blame Wall Street instead of yourself for electing "leaders" who encourages extensive and unsustainable leveraging.

Banks are not in the business of losing money.
__________________
09 F9
Old 10-06-2011, 04:04 PM Zangmonkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
#187  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
i agree with what you're saying wholeheartedly, however i'm just a little bit reluctant to absolve everyone else of any responsibility and common sense in life. it's horrible that the corps gave out so many sub prime mortgages, yes, but it's even worse that the people who agreed to them barely understood the fine print, if they even read it. and thanks to corporatism, your tax dollars have to support BOTH groups when they fuck up.
I'm not absolving anybody of responsibility, I'm just saying my sympathy and policy priorities lie with the people who got screwed and not the companies. Thing whole setup was a colossal failure from education to corporate regulation. Rather that just blaming people for being stupid every time a swath of society gets swindled, it would make sense to go after the swindlers.
Quote:
and what's interesting about this whole movement is that in every video i watch of them they all have DLSRS and ipad and expensive clothes. michael moore made an appearance recently as well, despite being a millionaire himself. this is not a revolution of the lower classes of america, but rather voyeurism and exhibitionism from the petite bourgeois...
I think they're mostly people who had expectations about life from their parents, and are now unable to see a path in that direction for themselves. There's a sense that the Boomers have, and still are, screwing the country and lying to the younger generations about the costs and paths to success.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:08 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#188  

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll
 
Redrum's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
So essentially, yes, Wall Street is at fault, because of the pervasive leverage that's been applied to everything from home ownership to medical coverage.

In fact, about the only thing this leverage hasn't been applied to is wages.

wall street may be greedy and corrupt to it's core but so is the average american.

in fact, so many are so greedy they'll happily go into $40k of credit card debt to buy stupid shit or sign a sub prime mortgage without even understanding what it even is, and when shit hits the fan they point the finger at everyone except for themselves.
__________________
lol
Old 10-06-2011, 04:09 PM Redrum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#189  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
it's no longer an instant ticket to affluence like it was 30 years ago. i've read several such books myself.

So that's how you got to be so smart It's not just law, you're starting to get the point....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
unfortunately there a lot of people in asia willing to work way harder than any us for far cheaper with a shit eating grin their face.

Way harder is debatable, they do the same job for less. Nikes used to be made here and they were not any worse when they were. Same with tools and everything else.

There's no ground to make such a comparison - the jobs moved overseas to bypass all the worker protection laws this country stands for. How can you sit there and say group A works harder than group B in that scenario?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
bingo

So you agree with all of it in the end, after all the whining and bitching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
wall street may be greedy and corrupt to it's core but so is the average american.

Oh wait no there's the contrarian dumbass we all know and love. You're like Acidfast, but a southern version

Does anyone take Redrum seriously?
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 10-06-2011, 04:10 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#190  

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll
 
Redrum's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangmonkey View Post
I like how you blame Wall Street instead of yourself for electing "leaders" who encourages extensive and unsustainable leveraging.

Banks are not in the business of losing money.

>implying the two party system is not a complete sham
>implying voting even matters given how indistinguishable the two parties are in terms of the actual policies they enact
__________________
lol
Old 10-06-2011, 04:10 PM Redrum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#191  

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll
 
Redrum's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Way harder is debatable, they do the same job for less. Nikes used to be made here and they were not any worse when they were. Same with tools and everything else.

the worker protection laws this country stands for. How can you sit there and say group A works harder than group B in that scenario?

they work harder, longer, and more efficiently. some of them even in sleep in the factories. good luck competing with that, especially seeing as how the average american considers any kind of a job that doesn't involve sitting behind a desk to be completely below them.



Quote:
So you agree with all of it in the end, after all the whining and bitching?
i disagree with finger pointing, scape goating, and not taking any personal responsibility in life, and making pretend your destiny is completely determined by wall street.

as i've mentioned before this recession is thanks to thousand little cuts from every direction, getting everyone to rally around the wall street boogeyman is a herpa derpa explanation of it all.

btw, where were you when the tea party was protesting the bail outs?

accusing them of being racist against obama, no doubt.
__________________
lol
Old 10-06-2011, 04:16 PM Redrum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#192  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangmonkey View Post
If you're starving or freezing to death in the United States of Fucking America it's because you're too god damned lazy to find and accept help from the tremendous number of places it's available to you at no cost.

Big picture: there's poor people and the rich. The gap is becoming huge. United States traditionally stood for a strong middle class and examplified a majority rules system of democracy. You can cling onto specific programs we still have to feed the homeless or you can try and understand why all these people don't actually want to have to use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo1223 View Post
I love this

"What are you protecting us from?"

How about your dumb ass stomp the man attitude that if the police did leave you'd all be butthurt when random acts of violence started occurring in the crowd.

I would say the haircut but there is no hope from the hipster crowd.

Yes because inevitably these people would start attacking each other using their dangerous non standard haircuts.
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 10-06-2011, 04:18 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#193  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
>implying the two party system is not a complete sham
>implying voting even matters given how indistinguishable the two parties are in terms of the actual policies they enact

>implying the two party system never worked
>implying voting doesn't matter

__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 10-06-2011, 04:19 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#194  

wwilliam54
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote McCain! View Post
You can blame CSI and all the other cop-dramas for that. When I was in high school everyone and their momma wanted to do forensics just because they saw it on CSI

Don't worry
I do
__________________
2004 Grand Marquis- Just a big bucket o' steel.
1997 Geo- Three Cylinders of Fury, 5 Gears of slow (R.I.P)
Old 10-06-2011, 04:23 PM wwilliam54 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#195  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:10 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.