General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colicious View Post
fuck those people. they are the ones who chose their school, who chose their liberal arts degrees with no job market even in a good economy

what the FUCK happened the the American dream? a job is not a given right. the American dream was to work hard and go get yourself a damn job. you dont get one handed to you just because you took on 100k+ in debt like a rah-tard. fuck those self entitled douchebags

dont like being in the "99%"?? well fuckin do something about it
http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/16/news...ires/index.htm
2010 had a 8% increase in millionairs. 2009 had a 16% increase

tell you what, i plan on puttin myself in that 1%

good luck with that.

also, the american dream is being able to work hard and provide a good life for you and your family. when there's no fucking jobs around it doesn't matter how hard you work.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

you don't have to become a millionaire over night, but a little bit of hard work, a little bit of smarts, and some luck will take you a long way in a free market society,

corporatist amerika is not a free market 

and besides, the only people in amerika who seem to feel entitled to a life of luxury without making much sacrifice are exactly the kind of people who go to these protests

people who occupy their time with meaningful endeavors (be they academic, personal, or financial) don't have much time to camp outside of wall street for weeks on end parading retarded banners

not to say i'm not behind them in principle. it'd be nice to to kill lobbies, special interest groups, and corporations having both parties on their pay roll.

fat chance though, especially seeing as how the minute shit gets real they'll all go home because at the end of the day they still enjoy the highest standard of living in the world, and are not half starving to death like a typical third worlder with true qualms against a corrupt and tyrannical government

pyramid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
boohoo you're on the wrong side of history domon!

everyone deserves a new iphone every six months along with an ipad all paid for by credit cards!

and when you default on your cc and you can't buy a house, it's the top 1%'s fault

don't you see where you're so wrong domon?

I see ignorant people.

in 1980 the top 1% took in 10% of all income. now they take in 24% of all income. over the last 30 years, as workers have regularly been forced to do more work with fewer people to improve profits, worker productivity has gone up several fold but the median wage has remained almost completely flat when adjusted for inflation.

Either you have to believe that all the geniuses at the top are doing all the work and therefore deserve all the rewards of this increased productivity and profitability or you get a fucking clue and realize that:

A: you are not in the 1% and you never will be
B: you are getting fucked and decide to do something about it.

5ive

People have it worse, therefore we should do nothing
Member #5 of the Romeoz God R.I.P Collective

pyramid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
People have it worse, therefore we should do nothing

ITS A RACE TO THE BOTTOM.

EVERYONE JOIN IN!

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
I see ignorant people.

in 1980 the top 1% took in 10% of all income. now they take in 24% of all income. over the last 30 years, as workers have regularly been forced to do more work with fewer people to improve profits, worker productivity has gone up several fold but the median wage has remained almost completely flat when adjusted for inflation.

Either you have to believe that all the geniuses at the top are doing all the work and therefore deserve all the rewards of this increased productivity and profitability or you get a fucking clue and realize that:

american workers are renowned around the world for being ultra lazy and ultra entitled, take a look at what germans do if you want to see true efficiency

as for how much money the top 1% are raking in, i don't concern myself with that too much. i just focus on making sensible decisions for myself by avoiding the purchase of while trying to save as much of my income as possible. whether or not a cfo at gold man sachs took home 10 million or 100 million as a bonus has little bearing on my life.

except for when they're bailed out of course. but both parties seem to love to do that.

the 1% make a convenient scapegoat. sure they're well connected scum, but they personally did not force you to piss away all of your income, they didn't force you to run $40,000 cc debt on consumer electronics, and they sure as hell didn't force you to take out a $200k student loan to study linguistics at vassar college...

Gibonius

Quote:
american workers are renowned around the world for being ultra lazy and ultra entitled,
Which is not even remotely true. American workers are some of the most productive in the world. Some of the most creative too.
Quote:
as for how much money the top 1% are raking in, i don't concern myself with that too much. i just focus on making sensible decisions for myself by avoiding the purchase of while trying to save as much of my income as possible. whether or not a cfo at gold man sachs took home 10 million or 100 million as a bonus has little bearing on my life.
When national economic policy for the past 30 years has been devoted to making life easier for the top and ignoring everyone else, you should care. If you're investing, those $100 million bonuses do seriously affect you. Average Americans provide most of that money that the Wall Street guys have been playing fast and loose with for awhile, and they seem to have forgotten that real people stand to lose a lot of damn money. The bonus culture is really destructive to real long term gains, but a huge number of Americans are depending on investment gains to fund their retirement. It's really all we have left, since pensions are dead and SS is a joke.

Quote:
the 1% make a convenient scapegoat. sure they're well connected scum, but they personally did not force you to piss away all of your income, they didn't force you to run $40,000 cc debt on consumer electronics, and they sure as hell didn't force you to take out a $200k student loan to study linguistics at vassar college...
No, but they have created a lot of other shitty conditions in this country.

Frankly it's nice to see people out in the street protesting, even if they are incoherent and without any real insight into solutions. Perhaps they'll actually bother to vote in 2012.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

or you know, form a political party of their own like pretty much all groups with unified goals do in civilized countries

oh, but wait 2 party system owned by corporations and special interest groups

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Which is not even remotely true. American workers are some of the most productive in the world. Some of the most creative too.

rofl. compare a UAW worker to somebody working in a toyota plant in japan.

Quote:
No, but they have created a lot of other shitty conditions in this country.
perhaps. but they're certainly not responsible for all of the ills you've encountered in life either.

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
I see ignorant people.

One of the most amazing Republican tricks of the last ~15 years has been convincing the Average Joe to fight for policies that can only benefit the rich, while simultaneously ignoring any policies that might increase their own interests . Aspirational politics, quite an interesting shell game.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Frankly it's nice to see people out in the street protesting, even if they are incoherent and without any real insight into solutions. Perhaps they'll actually bother to vote in 2012.

as long they're not tea partiers. amirite? cause unemployed gen yers are THAT much more educated and worldly compared to some stupid hick from louisiana...

Gibonius

Quote:
rofl. compare a UAW worker to somebody working in a toyota plant in japan.
The Americans Toyota plants are very productive and very well run. They're commonly used as an example of how America can still be competitive in manufacturing.

General article on US worker quality:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n3228735.shtml

The whole stereotype of the lazy and entitled American worker is based on some isolated stereotype of union workers in the 80s. It has no real reflection on the quality of the American workforce.

pyramid

Quote:
american workers are renowned around the world for being ultra lazy and ultra entitled, take a look at what germans do if you want to see true efficiency

except for when they're bailed out of course. but both parties seem to love to do that.

yeah, you don't even understand the problem, do you?

when the total share of income that goes to 1% of the population more than doubles that leaves less income for the other 99% to squabble over.

the entire bottom 50% of the nation, 75 million households, takes in just 13% of all the income in the nation. the bottom 50% of everyone in the nation has to fight over HALF what the top 1% takes in.

it's not that americans are fat and lazy and overspending, it's that far too many are going to work till they die with nothing to show for it.

Forever Domon

Quote:
The Americans Toyota plants are very productive and very well run. They're commonly used as an example of how America can still be competitive in manufacturing.

General article on US worker quality:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n3228735.shtml
not having unions is a good start. Same with the us Honda plants.

Gibonius

Quote:
as long they're not tea partiers. amirite? cause unemployed gen yers are THAT much more educated and worldly compared to some stupid hick from louisiana...

Honestly I'd support any political movement that was willing to vote for new candidates. I don't like the Tea Partiers much, but at least they're something different. Destructive, in some cases, but they're not the same old tired bastards who led us into these messes.